Menu

Please help me decide..Geom & Alg 1 for 8th grader in PS?

My d/d enters 8th grade in PS this Fall. She has been in accelerated math for several years, always earning an A.

After testing/grades/teacher recommendations, she was invited to a program for 8th grade wherein she will have two periods a day of math, with two different teachers. The classes will be Geometry and Algebra 1, and will be the same program our high schoolers take. She will earn high school credit if she receives As and Bs for the year. This will put her in position to take Alg. 2 in 9th grade, and Pre-Calc in 10th.

She does not love math. She does not find it difficult, but her love is writing, and she is in an accelerated program for writing/reading as well.

She does not know what she wants to be when she is grown up (and I don't know many 13 year olds who do!), so I am struggling with this decision. Does she really need to take this on at this point? How will it help her? These courses will be very time-consuming, with homework on weekends as well. My d/d has extracurricular activities, and during sports seasons she can have practices or games nearly everyday. I consider these important as well, for her physical well-being, confidence and social skills.

My daughter first said she did not want to do it, which would mean she would take just Algebra 1. Now she wants to do it, but it seems a lot of her reasoning is based upon others view of her intelligence if she does not do it. She has remarked that kids and teachers would think she was "stupid" if she passed on this opportunity. She has also stated that she thinks she might like the challenge.

I am concerned we will hit about November, and she will be fried. There is no bowing out once you commit to this, so I have to decide in the next 5 days. I would be grateful to anyone who can help me view this in a more objective light and make the best decision for her!

I think that is awful heavy for a child that doesn't love math. The exception would be if her interest was in science where she would need the math to take advanced sciences early, but that doesnt sound like it is the case. What would her plans then be for 11th and 12th with colleges wanting to see 4 years of math?