Menu

Is there a high school history curriculum similar to SOTW?

My 14yo ds has read a few chapters of Ancient. His commentary has been that he likes it better than SOTW because the book gets straight to the point, rather than going off on all those stories like SOTW does.

So if your dd likes the stories in SOTW, perhaps finding a lot of historical fiction to read during the time period she's studying would be a better option?

She needs to finish American History. She is at Reconstruction right now. She is in the middle of SL core 100. Truly, it isn't enough. She is so bored. I need a book list of meatier titles of historical fiction to finish out Am History. Any idea on when SWB will finish the rhetoric level books?

She needs to finish American History. She is at Reconstruction right now. She is in the middle of SL core 100. Truly, it isn't enough. She is so bored. I need a book list of meatier titles of historical fiction to finish out Am History. Any idea on when SWB will finish the rhetoric level books?

The medieval vol just came out this spring, I don't think she is done writing the first draft of vol 3.

I like Jeff Shaara's fiction books on US history. He has one on the Mexican War, WWI and a couple on WWII.

Stephen Ambrose wrote very approachable history of a lot of post reconstruction periods. He had titles on the Transcontinental Railroad, Custer & Crazy Horse, and several WWII topics (Citizen Soldiers is a great read).

A couple months ago, there were some great threads of movies and/or literature for the modern era, broken down by decade. I bet you could find some great material there.

My understanding is that this series is for adults, and some really bright high schoolers are using it. Is that accurate?

It was written for high school and up. My ds is using the medieval one now and I heard the 3rd installment would be available in the spring (keeping fingers crossed).