Menu

Historical copywork for SOTW 2?

Kay in Cal

I'm sitting down to plan out copywork for next year. Last year I used a great SOTW 1 linked set of copywork--sayings, quotations, etc, that was designed by... well, someone on the old board. If you know, please tell me!

Quick example:

Chapter 12. The Middle Kingdom of Egypt

Knowledge is not necessarily wisdom. Egyptian Proverb

I belong to you like this plot of ground planted with flowers and sweet smelling herbs. Egyptian love song

Chapter 25. Alexander the Great

I am dying from the treatment of too many physicians. Alexander the Great

A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient. Alexander the Great

If no one has done something similar for SOTW 2, I'll start from scratch... but does anyone have anything like this already put together? Thanks!

Trivium Academy has some, I think, but it is pretty difficult.

I often use the cards from Hannah's Homeschool helps on yahoo. She has free, downloadable cards (kinda like VP cards, smaller) that have info on the back. We sometimes take a sentence or two from there. She also has timeline cards that coordinate with SOTW, fwiw.

If those are the examples then what I have should help, I tried to get direct quotes from the highlighted people in each chapter and if that wasn't possible, I used something else. I really tried to make the copywork mean something, lol- it really didn't matter to dd6 at the time. She copied them but I changed my mind when I realized I wanted the copywork to mean something to *her*. Now her copywork is poetry that she's memorizing and from Primary Language Lessons only.

Quotes alone

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2007/05/copywork-for-400-ad-1600-ad.html

Quotes with each chapter's work

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2007/05/our-tailored-2nd-grade-history.html

This is Chapter 4's: “Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to everyone his due.†Emperor Justinian

Thanks! We do one day of historical copywork, one day from our (history cycle) literature, and one day of poetry copywork a week. Next year I'm going to add a "fun" day of copywork--from whatever ds is into at the time (right now, Pokemon).

Keep 'em coming, if you have other resources!