Menu

Please tell me what you think about my 8th grade plan

Logic: Traditional Logic or Critical Thinking U.S. history books (We have only done Mind Benders and CT book 1 in the past, so I'm not sure if he's ready for TL, but I like the fact that I wouldn't have to teach it. I'd get the DVD.)

Math: Lial's Introductory Algebra

History: America the Story of US book and video, Presidents by Carter Smith, U.S. geography (He would outline the text, watch video, and I'd like to have him do a U.S. President section in his notebook and a section for each state.

Grammar: R&S English 8

Composition: R&S and across the subjects as laid out by SWB in her audio lectures. (I haven't listened to these yet, but I've read TWM so I'm sure they are pretty much the same. My son is a natural writer.)

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 8 and VfCR A (We used WW last year, but I'd like to do VfCR, so I decided to use both and just do one of each a year, instead of 2 of VfCR.

Literature: Painless Poetry, SL readers for Core 100, literary analysis hopefully explained thoroughly by SWB in her audio lecture!

Science: PH CiA and maybe DIVE to go along with.

Computer Skill: Let Us C and a Apple program for making apps. (My son loves anything computer related. This isn't really school to him.)

Bible: daily Bible reading, memorize so verses that deal with things he struggles with, and read a few books that I've picked out: Do Hard Things, Start Here, and some Maxwell books. I don't make this part of schooling, but I think it's a good way to start his morning.

Foreign Language: GSWS and Visual Link Spanish

Art: Internet study using list in WTM (He will write a paragraph about each artist and put it in his notebook, after looking up some of their artwork online or in the books we already own.)

Music: Guitar lessons and internet study using list in WTM (He will do this like he does art, but he will find music online to listen to. I love Pandora!)

PE: Karate and he uses my stepper while watching TV if he can't get outside due to allergies or weather. He also swims when it's warm.

I posted this in the main K-8 board, and I got no responses. I'm hoping someone here can give me their opinions. Any thoughts?

I have been working on our plans for the coming year. One thing that helped me was to rough out the courses I wanted them to graduate from high school with. Then I could look at 7th and 8th grade and consider if we would get there from here.

You may have already done that, not sure. I know that it was a fruitful exercise for me.

My next step will be to go over my table for this year and high school and flag the points where I can have them take some kind of outside test to quantify what they've done at home. For example, I want to flag the point where I expect them to take SAT II tests, National Latin Exam, possible AP tests, PSAT, German certificate test and SAT/ACT.

I think it looks very complete and rich. Nice job, mama! :)

I'll have an 8th grader this year as well, but we're still in the process of finalizing decisions.

Thanks so much! It has taken me FOREVER to finalize this. I am relieved to have it over with.

I think it looks very self-motivating and independent. It seems your student is able to work on his own and use you for discussion, so to me, it looks great.

Thank you! We worked quite a bit last year on becoming more independent. It was a struggle, and some things must be done with me, but I try to give him a few subjects that he can do solo so he feels more in control. It has helped us in many ways.

Nice plan. You've covered everything and have taken his interests and abilities into account.

Can you tell me what GSWS is?

I forgot to say thanks for your kind words. I do try to give him a few things he enjoys to balance out the day. It seems to help.

I have been working on our plans for the coming year. One thing that helped me was to rough out the courses I wanted them to graduate from high school with. Then I could look at 7th and 8th grade and consider if we would get there from here.

You may have already done that, not sure. I know that it was a fruitful exercise for me.

My next step will be to go over my table for this year and high school and flag the points where I can have them take some kind of outside test to quantify what they've done at home. For example, I want to flag the point where I expect them to take SAT II tests, National Latin Exam, possible AP tests, PSAT, German certificate test and SAT/ACT.[/quote

Thanks for all the information. I made out a plan for high school, but I need to plan out any tests that he can take. I'll be honest, I didn't know most of them existed until recently. I only did PSAT, SAT, and ACT. I look and see what all is available. Any suggestions on websites or where I should start my research?

It looks good to me, we're starting 8th this fall as well.

Thanks! This year made me a little more nervous. I didn't want him to be behind for high school and wanted to try to get some things out of the way. I don't think I'm ready for high school, but it's approaching quickly. :001_smile:

Thanks! This year made me a little more nervous. I didn't want him to be behind for high school and wanted to try to get some things out of the way. I don't think I'm ready for high school, but it's approaching quickly. :001_smile:

I find myself being more nervous as well. We won't start until August, but I'm ready to just get going.

My next step will be to go over my table for this year and high school and flag the points where I can have them take some kind of outside test to quantify what they've done at home. For example, I want to flag the point where I expect them to take SAT II tests, National Latin Exam, possible AP tests, PSAT, German certificate test and SAT/ACT.[/quote

Thanks for all the information. I made out a plan for high school, but I need to plan out any tests that he can take. I'll be honest, I didn't know most of them existed until recently. I only did PSAT, SAT, and ACT. I look and see what all is available. Any suggestions on websites or where I should start my research?

Actually, I'd suggest putting in some time on the high school board. There are several posters there who have been through the college application process and can comment on when and how various tests were useful.

The other goto site is the College Board website. Since most of the tests are from them, you can find info about what they test, when most students take them and what the test content is like.

Different colleges have different policies on how they give (or if they give) credit for tests like AP. Some consider them for applications, but don't give credit, some give credit but with a limit on how many transfer credits are allowed, some won't give credit within a student's major (so for example, a science major might not get credit for AP biology). So it also pays to take a good look at the college websites that your kids might be considering (or at least some represenative schools).

Update: the German certificate test is one administered by the Goethe Institute. It has several different levels and might be considered the German equivalent of a TOEFL exam for English. I think there are similar tests for other languages, although it might be a challenge to find a testing site for some of them.