What's with the ads?

#1 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

I'm trying to settle on what I'm doing with my rising K ds for math. I did MUS with my two olders, but have since switched to MM, which has been fantastic. My plan is for ds to move to MM when he's ready for MM 1. I was thinking of doing MEP. I've done some of Reception with him--we're probably around lesson 15. I thought we could do the rest of that pretty quickly, and then move into Year 1. Now I'm looking at Singapore Earlybird Standards Edition as well. Any thoughts between the two, especially as far as setting up for a move to MM?

He recognizes nummerals 1-9 and counts to 29, skipping 15 ;). He writes a few of the numbers, and will learn the rest next year with HWT. We tend to be very laid back for kindergarten, but with the two olders to teach, and a super busy toddler, I feel the need for using something specific with him, so I make sure to get it done (as opposed to just working math into life--we do that, but I don't feel I can count on it for Kindergarten, iykwim).

#2 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

We use both :D (mostly Singapore, MEP maybe once a week). I've never used MM.

#3 boscopup

boscopup

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10762 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:37 AM

MEP is great, as is Singapore. I would suggestion Singapore Essential Math K instead of the Earlybird though. He'd probably be ready for book B, though it's cheap enough that if you want to be relaxed and go through some easy stuff first (and learn the number writing), book A is fun for them. DS2 is using book A right now and loves it. The numbers taught are not done so in a weird, funky way, so I'm cool with using them. I actually throw in the sayings from the R&S preK workbooks (CLE Math 100 uses the same sayings).

I think either one should transition fine into MM. I prefer Singapore for us because I don't really want to do spend a lot of time teaching math at this point. We do well with just pulling out a workbook and doing what it says. So that's just a teaching style thing. You may be just the opposite, in which case MEP would be a better choice.

I'm totally with you on not liking programs with a lot of manipulatives. I'll use them if we need them, but not if we don't need them.

#4 stripe

stripe

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13111 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

I loved the first semester of y1 of mep. It really made my son think. The second semester was relatively less interesting and repetitive. You may want to consider using more mep for the first semester.

#5 mommatomany

mommatomany

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

MEP is great, as is Singapore. I would suggestion Singapore Essential Math K instead of the Earlybird though. He'd probably be ready for book B, though it's cheap enough that if you want to be relaxed and go through some easy stuff first (and learn the number writing), book A is fun for them. DS2 is using book A right now and loves it. The numbers taught are not done so in a weird, funky way, so I'm cool with using them. I actually throw in the sayings from the R&S preK workbooks (CLE Math 100 uses the same sayings).

I think either one should transition fine into MM. I prefer Singapore for us because I don't really want to do spend a lot of time teaching math at this point. We do well with just pulling out a workbook and doing what it says. So that's just a teaching style thing. You may be just the opposite, in which case MEP would be a better choice.

I'm totally with you on not liking programs with a lot of manipulatives. I'll use them if we need them, but not if we don't need them.

What's the difference between SP Essential Math K and Earlybird?

#6 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

What's the difference between SP Essential Math K and Earlybird?

This is what I've been reading a bunch on since posting last night. I didn't know about Essential Math until last night, as last time I was doing K math with kids, it was the old Earlybird edition that Singapore had. If I can find it again, someone had a great blog post that showed the differences, with pictures comparing pages from both covering the same topic. Earlybird is in color, while Essential is not. From the posts I've read here, it seems that more people like Essential Math than the Earlybird Standards edition. From comparing them side by side, I think I prefer EM as well. Initially, I thought I'd like EB, because the colorful pages looked more fun, but on looking more closely, EM seems more clear to me somehow.

All that said, I think I'm leaning toward starting with MEP, and then if we get tired of that before he's ready for MM1, then I would probably go to EM K book B.

#7 czny

czny

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

I'm planing to do both of singapore and MEP with my younger one. Young kids need a lot of repetition and reinforcement.

#8 cmarango

cmarango

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Here's one of my blog posts comparing book B of each program. I also have a link to an earlier post where I compare book A.

HTH

#9 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

Here's one of my blog posts comparing book B of each program. I also have a link to an earlier post where I compare book A.

HTH

Thanks for posting your link--yours is the site I was talking about. It was very helpful!

#10 Spy Car

Spy Car

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18006 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

I really like (and use) Singapore Primary Mathematics as a math spine for elementary. For Pre-K and K I find the Singapore materials somewhat difficient in two ways.

One: They are developmentally off in not building in enough hands-on use of manipulatives, this despite Singapore's "concrete>pictorial>abstract" model. The "concrete" stage (which is important for young children) is largely skipped over in favor of the "pictorial."

Two: The Pre-K/K materials are very shy on elements that challenge a child's critical thinking skills. This is a serious defficientcy in my mind if you want to raise a problem-solver.

The Miquon math program (which makes a nice component to Singapore) does have a strong "concrete" introduction to whole-parts math and engaging (and age appropriate) critical thinking skills.

The MEP materials (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), which can be downloaded without cost, contains super-interesting problems that really get children "thinking" (which makes it fun) and Lesson Plans that make math a multi-sensory activity-based subject.

The RightStart game set is another fun way to learn important skills for whole-parts math (like making pairs that make Ten) through play.

The Singapore materials for K are fair, but kind of workbooky and less interesting than they ought to be for this age. If you use them (we did) I would advise using some combination of the other mentioned resources to make the initial math experience more inspired.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car, 02 July 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#11 SneguochkaL

SneguochkaL

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:24 AM

I really like (and use) Singapore Primary Mathematics as a math spine for elementary. For Pre-K and K I find the Singapore materials somewhat difficient in two ways.

One: They are developmentally off in not building in enough hands-on use of manipulatives, this despite Singapore's "concrete>pictorial>abstract" model. The "concrete" stage (which is important for young children) is largely skipped over in favor of the "pictorial."

Two: The Pre-K/K materials are very shy on elements that challenge a child's critical thinking skills. This is a serious defficientcy in my mind if you want to raise a problem-solver.

The Miquon math program (which makes a nice component to Singapore) does have a strong "concrete" introduction to whole-parts math and engaging (and age appropriate) critical thinking skills.

The MEP materials (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), which can be downloaded without cost, contains super-interesting problems that really get children "thinking" (which makes it fun) and Lesson Plans that make math a multi-sensory activity-based subject.

The RightStart game set is another fun way to learn important skills for whole-parts math (like making pairs that make Ten) through play.

The Singapore materials for K are fair, but kind of workbooky and less interesting than they ought to be for this age. If you use them (we did) I would advise using some combination of the other mentioned resources to make the initial math experience more inspired.

Bill

:iagree:

We used RS A and my daughter loved it. We did EB math with her to have a break from RS for some time just for fun. Being only a 4.5 years old, she went through all 4 EB Singapore math books withing 2 months. I haven't used Miquon books with my daughter, but I would try to incorporate them in our math studies with my son.

What's with the ads?