Menu

What is the age range for So You Really Want To Learn Spanish?

sagira

Busy here planning for our Third Year starting in September. I was all set with going with Spanish for Children and maybe later in the year add Rosetta Stone, when I remembered Galore Park's So You Really Want To Learn Spanish. What is the age range recommendation? Would you do it with an 8-year-old?

My soon-to-be 8-year-old is familiar with Spanish and has better pronunciation than most because I speak another language to him that's phonetic and I've exposed him to Spanish since he was little. However, he only knows how to say the very basics and doesn't know how to converse yet. I want to take him to the next level and have him speak in Spanish (he'll have me to practice with) and start understanding the grammar and start writing. Galore Park looks really solid and rigorous, and the way I was taught English.

The only 3 things that are making me pause are:

- It looks a little dull for an 8-year-old. What are the recommended ages?

- It's Spanish from Spain, whereas I would vastly prefer Spanish from Latin America

-The images (I know, I know, very superficial. But I like pretty :))

Please share your thoughts.

I've used SY French, which may be similar. I would use if for late elementary or middle school. The French was perfect for Calvin when he was twelve and moved too fast for Hobbes when he was nine.

ETA: The company recommends it from Year 7, which is the age equivalent of 6th grade.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I agree that Logic Stage is the right age range. My ds12 began level 1 at about age 10 (5th grade), and it was a stretch but was OK since he had background and I was in no hurry. Now, at age 12 (finishe 6th gr), it is right on target, and he is smoothly progressing through a level/year.

I'd say ages 10-16 would be ideal for the series, with the younger end of the age range being a case-by-case basis and might want to plan for going a tad more slowly than the book/year rate that a 12+ yo should easily be able to manage.

My olders are using SYR successfully, and I definitely plan on using it with my youngest, but I am definitely hoping to hold her off until at least age 10, so 14 more months. (11 would be better, but I don't know what I'd do with her in the interim b/c she'll be done with GSWS (love that!) around the time she turns 9.)

I just think SYR is too much grammar, too much vocab, too long problems sets, etc for a younger elementary child.

(We LOVE SYR for our logic stage kids!)

Thank you! The last two posts are exactly the kind of information I've been searching for.

Spanish for Children it is from 3-6 :)

That's what I'm planning too then. The beginning of SYW is fine but it moves fast with each page, and the font is small, nothing like Latin Prep 1.