Menu

Saxon--have you skipped a year?

Rosy

DD is finishing 1st grade and has just started Saxon 3. I picked up Saxon 54 at a used curriculum sale and am considering using it instead of Saxon 3. I love Saxon and feel that it's a good fit for my kids so far, but it does get really repetitive and she gets frustrated with that. Thanks for your input!

It could be Saxon's style, which is spiral (or incremental) that feels too repetitive. I don't know what their higher levels are like, but I tried Math 1 for Becca and it was way too slow for us. She was just bored, so she wasn't focusing on it. I'm moving her over to a mastery program, which moves faster.

My oldest son went through Saxon 1-Saxon 65. He was completely independent and unchallenged. I had him do an online Saxon placement test and he placed in Saxon 87. We skipped 76 and I filled in the gaps as needed without any problem.

My youngest (5yo) needed more challenge in math...her eyes only shone when she had to work at something. She started Saxon 1 last July and I skipped lessons, skipped pages, etc...until we found new material. We went through Saxon 1 in 4 months only doing math 4 days a week. She worked through Saxon 2 the same way taking 4 months. Now we are working our way through Saxon 3 in the same manner...showing her new material, giving her the worksheets on concepts she needs practice with, etc... I know her math skills are above a 3rd grade level because we go off on tangents here and there when she finds something that really interests her.

You could try a Saxon placement test and skip or accelerate (this option has been better for dd because I am sure she hasn't missed anything and I won't have to go back and give her information she doesn't yet have...she has perfectionist tendencies and might lose interest in math if she didn't know something she thought she should). Do know that if you have made it through enough of Saxon 3 then the first 30 chapters of 54 should cover anything she missed because they tend to be review of the previous book.

Thanks for the responses! I'll probably have her do the tests and see how far we get before she gets to a concept she's unfamiliar with. I like some repetition, but when I looked at 54 it didn't look like there was much that was different than 3, except the different format.