Menu

TOG...

Marsha

I have the Year 2 redesigned. This is the first time ever using TOG, so I am trying to figure out how to do it.

It seems harder to understand for me without all of the cd's for it being out.

I am considering getting Year 1 and just starting there so I will have the cd's and everything in hand.

That means I won't have the cd's in hand until the end of each Year when we are completing it. What would you do?

Also, do you do Lapbooks for the Grammar students?

1. If you choose to do TOG1 right now, that's fine. I think there was another thread about this and others said it's up to you- which I agree.

2. I'm copying the SAP pages instead of download/printing them for each week. When planning out the week I do these things:

- figure out what books we'll be reading

- copy SAP pages

- Go to Tapestry's website, go to the Loom, make sure I get anything I think I want from there.

- Then I go to the individual tabs: History, Geography, Literature, Church History, Arts & Activites, and anything else that I want to look at for ideas. Look at the week you're doing.

- I use my planning page and write out the objectives for the week that I want to cover

- I put the books we'll read and what page numbers (after I read them)

- What activities we'll do: including mapwork, narration/copywork (this is my own creation), projects, and any multi-media items.

Then I plan it out for the week breaking up the work for each day to keep it manageable.

Y2Unit1_Week6.jpg

This is what I use to map out our week with TOG. I am only homeschooling 1 right now so if you need help with scheduling more than 1, click here or talk to KarenCiavo or others who have multiples with TOG.

Please realize you're in the fog, which many experience when they first get and try to use TOG. It's normal. It is overwhelming because you have multiple years of use in front of you and a lot of decisions to make. What is worth our time to do this cycle? What should my younger do vs. my older child and what can they do together? How do I choose?

The only thing I can offer is to take 1 level at a time, plan out the LG level for one child, then take the UG or D level for the other. Read Dana's scheduling tips above. Post at the TOG forum, there are plenty of friendly and open homeschoolers willing to help you see through the fog.

Utilize the daily assignment charts (at the Loom) and anything else you can from TOG's website.

I hope this helps you.

:) Jessica

TOG does seem overwhelming when you first begin, but if you are persistent and just do it, you will soon find your own way of pulling it together and making it work.

I am using the classic and don't know what cd you are referring to, but I still am able to work out a weekly schedule for my dc in which they accomplish what I have determined are our priorities for the week.

Some weeks this is very hard as there are so many things I want to cover, but the longer I homeschool, I can see that they will get the material again, and in fact some stuff is best saved for when they are older and repeating the rotation.

We have opted not to do the lapbooks.

I like my dc to notebook and we do have a couple Hands-On Historybooks with reproducibles that enhance the notebooking.

We simply store everything done for a week in a notebook and label it week 31, etc.

I tried separating according to maps, people, vocab., etc., but found just keeping it all together by weeks is easier.

I teach three levels: UG, LG, and D.

They each have weekly schedules where I list their weekly TOG assignments.

That way, the olders can go off and do their own reading, timelines while I work with my younger dc.

hth