Menu

Does anyone here take Elmiron for Interstitial Cystitis?

My mom has IC, and she learned this week that there is a shortage of Elmiron, the only drug that is FDA approved for the treatment of this condition. According to the manufacturer's website, there were some quality control issues with recent batches of the product, and those were pulled from the market. The resulting shortage is expected to last for several months. My mom is on a fixed income, and currently pays $70 for a 90 day supply of Elmiron through a mail order pharmaceutical supplier. She has found a pharmacy that, for now, at least, has the medication in stock, but it would cost her about $450 for a 90 day supply! If you take Elmiron, have you experienced a similar problem in getting the medication?

:lurk5:

my dd stacey takes it -- i will ask her. I don't know how she would get along without it. I do know from reading that I have done that it works over a period of time (perhaps doesn't start working for three months if I recall) as it works to repair the ladding of the bladder (does this sound right?)

Last week I was reading about it and I did find an ICC website that said some women are having success with Cymbalta and Elavil instead.

HTH