Menu

Computer Programming?

What kind of options are out there for computer programming courses? My son is a rising 9th grader. He has no significant prior experience in programming. I saw mention of something offered by The Potter's School and we may go with that. But does anyone know of any other worthwhile resources?

Thanks for the reply. I'll add that to my list of things to check out. Is there anything else out there? I came across a list of free, online computer programming classes in a Google search but I'd prefer something that comes with a recommendation.

I saw a post about that class on here yesterday when I was searching...I think it's only a week or two old. That may be the route we go, but I wanted to look around a bit first. I don't know enough about the different programming languages to know where to start. Java? Python? Basic? I wan't something very rudimentary to test the waters and lay a good foundation. I have no idea whether this will be a life-long interest or just curiosity.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/

Kodu!! Very fun :) It is a free computer programming learning game that my bro (a computer programming professor at a good university) recommended for my kids. My kids are younger (7&5), but really enjoy it - and I personally played with it for awhile at first (so I could help!) and enjoyed it also! I think that an older child would still get a lot out of it, and be able to learn quite a bit.

I saw a post about that class on here yesterday when I was searching...I think it's only a week or two old. That may be the route we go, but I wanted to look around a bit first. I don't know enough about the different programming languages to know where to start. Java? Python? Basic? I wan't something very rudimentary to test the waters and lay a good foundation. I have no idea whether this will be a life-long interest or just curiosity.

We are taking Python just because it is the one that fits into our schedule. A couple people also recommended taking it. It can be confusing with all the different languages.

You can start with just about any language, as long as they are being taught the underlying fundamentals of programming as well. It's similar to learning a foreign language. The process and concepts of learning one help you to learn any subsequent language more quickly.

My computer programming sequence in college startes with Java. A lot of high schools use Java or C++ (both in the C family) for their programming courses (the AP Computer Science test uses Java.) There are lower level versions for younger kiddos (Greenfoot, Alice, etc.,) but high school students should be able to handle a regular introductory high school or college level Java textbook.

You can start with just about any language, as long as they are being taught the underlying fundamentals of programming as well. It's similar to learning a foreign language. The process and concepts of learning one help you to learn any subsequent language more quickly.

My computer programming sequence in college startes with Java. A lot of high schools use Java or C++ (both in the C family) for their programming courses (the AP Computer Science test uses Java.) There are lower level versions for younger kiddos (Greenfoot, Alice, etc.,) but high school students should be able to handle a regular introductory high school or college level Java textbook.

Thank you! This is helpful. I had a bit of programming in high school, first as the last 6 weeks of my Typing class in 10th grade (on TRS 80s if anyone remembers what they are) and then a semester my senior year. Oh, and tiny bit of HTML at one job where I was supposed to update the website occasionally. Ever since then, I'm strictly a user. My DH handles all the computer IT around our house.

Free is always a plus. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Suz

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/

Kodu!! Very fun :) It is a free computer programming learning game that my bro (a computer programming professor at a good university) recommended for my kids. My kids are younger (7&5), but really enjoy it - and I personally played with it for awhile at first (so I could help!) and enjoyed it also! I think that an older child would still get a lot out of it, and be able to learn quite a bit.

My dh is a programmer and went through the book "Hello World" with the 8& 10yr last year. The language it uses is not a common language but it taught them how to think through the steps of creating a program. By the end of it they created a very simple game and were incredibly pleased with themselves (of course now they have disillusions of grandeur, becoming rich game makers lol) He thought it was an excellent first resource to teach the logic of programming and judge a child's interest without investing a ton of money. I don't know how well it would have gone without him acting as the teacher though...

My son used this: http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html and found it thorough and easy to use. He was since veered off into much scripting and still hasn't forgiven me for not registering him for the AP Comp Sci exam this year. I have promised next year, lol.

Is this course free? I looked at it, but am not sure if you can just start using it and do the quizzes and all?

thanks!

Kirsten

Would your DH say that a motivated 14yo could benefit from it working independently?

I have the same book and I think a 14 yo could definitely do it independently. If you read the reviews on Amazon, many kids have used it (it's actually written for kids). However, it does use an older version of Python (2.5), and some of the reviews mentioned that students need to make sure they download the older version, not the current 3.0. There were also warnings about some of the other components not working very well on a Mac (posted a few weeks after I bought the book, sigh.)

Jackie