Menu

Does anyone put stoneware in the dishwasher?

I have Pfaltzgraff stoneware that has gone into our dishwasher every day for years and hasn't had issues EXCEPT when the boys knock a piece against something and chip it. :tongue_smilie:

I've decided I'd rather have the boys doing dishes than chip free stoneware.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think more of the chips came during a time between automatic dishwashers when they were doing dishes by hand...

I've run my very, very, very seasoned bar pan through the dishwasher 2 times. I wouldn't do it every day--usually I just use hot water and a scraper, but it was getting a buildup around the handles that I wanted off.

I wouldn't do this with a piece that wasn't seasoned extremely well--I'd be afraid it would absorb soap.

Here's what Pampered Chef says:

How to Clean

• Hand wash in clear, hot water; rinse and dry thoroughly before storing. NOTE: as soap can flavor foods that are baked in Stoneware, it is important that you do not use soap or detergents to clean your Stoneware or wash in an automatic dishwasher using dishwasher detergent. Follow these steps for general and deep cleaning.

General Cleaning

• Allow Stoneware to cool to room temperature before cleaning.
  • Soak Stoneware in clear, hot water to loosen baked-on foods.
  • Scrape off excess food using the Nylon Pan Scraper (provided with Stoneware).
  • Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing.

Deep Cleaning

• Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons water.
  • Apply baking soda paste to desired areas and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Scrape off excess paste using the Nylon Pan Scraper.
  • Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing.

Mary

I wash mine in soap all the time LOL! My mom googled on the internet a year or so ago and found an article from a professional chef. He said he loved the stoneware but didn't feel in a professional, restaurant style setting that it would pass health inspection if he was not using soap and water to clean it. So he did. He didn't notice any soap taste on his food.

My question about the whole, bacteria cannot get into the stone etc. so you only need to wash in hot water idea is if bacteria can't get in, then how can soap get in?

I've been using soap on it ever since and have never ever tasted any kind of a soapy taste. I do use an dishwashing liquid touted as a "natural" product and it has no aromas added.

I am just terrible for not washing them up right after a meal and the next thing I know I have a counter full of stoneware and cast iron frying pans. Washing dishes is my all time least favourite household chore. I'm guessing you have figured this out by now :lol:

Are you talking about the glazed bakers or the unglazed baking stones? The unglazed ones ARE porous and the soap can get in them, which is why PC tells you not to wash them with soap.

The glazed ones are only glazed on the outside aren't they? So even those should not be washed with soap (I could see using a little to scrub the outside though--by hand.).

We use our flat baking stones for just about everything, and I will run our through the dishwasher occasionally if we bake fishsticks/clams/shrimp on them - I just get too icked out at the thought of making 'fishy' tasting cookies. :tongue_smilie:

Otherwise I just use the scraper or a nylon brush under warm water.