Menu

What subjects do your children do independently? Please share kids' ages, too. (m)

I'm wondering if I let my children do too much on their own, too soon. I feel like I'm more of a facilitator than a teacher. My kids do spelling, math, grammar and science all on their own. We do History together. I correct their work, and of course if they need help I give it. Anyone else do it this way? My kids are ages 14, 12, and 10. I do math and grammar etc. with my 7 yo dd.

Thanks!

our schedule looks much like yours

sometimes I do science with them sometimes on their own

sometimes I do history with them, sometimes on their own

but math is on their own, coming to me as help is needed

grammar is on their own

handwriting

we do spelling together I nearly forgot about that

oh, ages:

10, 8, 6...I do grammar with the 6 yr old (FLL) I don't require as much science and history out of him..he will sometimes read a bit on his own then tell me a bit about it otherwise he sits in when I read to the others

(sorry for the ill typing, one handed, in a hurry, that kind of thing)

My dc are 11, 9, 8, 5 (and of course the 2yo!). My 11, 9 and 8yo do Spelling, Grammar, Handwriting, Math (after I've explained any new concepts), writing (after we've discussed the assignment and any questions they have and of course, I read the assignments when they are done and help w/ revisions) on their own. My 8yo can be much more independent than my 9yo who needs me sitting in his lap to get his work done, LOL! My 8yo just isn't as "spacey" as the 9yo. My 11yo (dd) has been very independent for years now. She just is able to stick to a task and get it done efficiently. Most days she starts at 8:30 and is done by 11 (core subjects that is!). Ds6 doesn't do anything independently yet. Neither does ds5 of course. We all do History/Science/Art together in the afternoons alternating.

I currently teach at a Christian school and plan to home school when I have my own kids. I find it amusing that my biggest complaint about my 6th-8th grade students is that they think they can't learn anything out of a book on their own without a teacher presenting it to them. Homeschoolers worry about the opposite--letting kids be too independent in their learning! I say go for it! The years kids spend in "school" are artificial compared to the rest of their lives. Most learning that adults do is by reading the instructions, manual, guide, book, etc. themselves. The earlier that kids learn this skill, the better! Plus, if and when they go to college, they may encounter poor teachers who don't present the material coherently, and they will have the advantage of already being independent learners!

Independent Studies

(ie subjects that I mainly mark their work & are available for questions as needed, but don't actually "teach")

15yod: Math, Science, Writing, Spanish, Geography

13yos: French, Geography, Typing

10yos: Japanese, Typing, Math, Geography, Phonics

Subjects that require some "teaching", but not daily

15yod: Literature (discussions), Latin

13yos: Math, Latin, Literature (RAs & discussion of assigned readings)

10yos: Penmanship, Vocabulary, Literature (RAs & discussion of assigned readings)

Subjects that are "Mom-taught"

15yod: Spelling

13yos: Spelling, Science (but hoping to move this to the semi-independent learning soon)

10yos: Grammar, Spelling/Dictation, Writing, Science, Latin

Our assignment sheets encourage independence, but I've found we have the most success when I schedule "Mom-time" daily for each dc, usually during their English "period" ( & science "period" for the boys.) Our afternoon subjects (geography, literature, & music practice) are mostly independent, so I can use that time on trouble areas if necessary with individual dc.

Blessings,

I take kind of the opposite approach. The really important subject, like reading, math, and writing, for example, I do with them. When they are 6th grade and down, they do history and science more independently. I plan to become more involved with history and science as they get into jr high/high school, but for now I use all of my time and effort to make sure they ahve the basic skills down cold.

Thanks for asking (and the responses as well)! I've often shie away from these questions b/c I feel I'd get blasted if I answered.

I have a 13, 10, and 7. They do almost most independently. I correct their work so I know if there are problems. With my 7 yo - spelling and grammar we always do together. The 10 and 7 yo and I do science and art together. My 13 yo and I have a history discussion every Friday.

My oldest is a very academically minded 7 (almost 8) year old and he does many subjects on his own. I check his work and frequently ask him how it's going and if he needs help. As long as I keep seeing improvements I will let him continue on his own. When learning a new concept in math I am right with him but he usually gets it pretty quickly.

I do everything with my six year old. And my four year old joins him in lots of his work too (which is a good motivator for him!) He wouldn't sit down to school work for 1.4 minutes without supervision! LOL :D