Menu

BJU Spelling?

Wee Pip

Pros & Cons of BJU Spelling, please! And how does this compare to SWO? I'm looking at either 2nd or 3rd grade spelling for next year - dd will finish SWO B (2nd gr) in Sept. I'm not sure which grade spelling I would choose (dd is an *early* 2nd grader this year, and I've decided to repeat some 2nd gr material next year in order to build up her writing skills - but she has done fine with 2nd gr material thus far). Thanks!

BJU Spelling is pretty much like the rest in that genre of style. It is a word list per week with various activites to do during the week to help memorize the word and its meaning. The last lesson in the week is usually a journal or brief writing lesson. It is okay. For that style of learning, it is probably very good. I used it for 2 years before switching to SWR.

Pros & Cons of BJU Spelling, please! And how does this compare to SWO? I'm looking at either 2nd or 3rd grade spelling for next year - dd will finish SWO B (2nd gr) in Sept. I'm not sure which grade spelling I would choose (dd is an *early* 2nd grader this year, and I've decided to repeat some 2nd gr material next year in order to build up her writing skills - but she has done fine with 2nd gr material thus far). Thanks!

We've done the 1st grade program. It was nothing special-just adequate to do the job. I, personally, thought it was pretty similar SWO.

Holly

Thanks for the answers! We started out with BJU in K, then switched to SWR in 1st gr...I've learned that I definitely prefer some sort of workbook to keep me accountable and to help me see that we are making progress. I've consistently found myself lost when I try something unconvential like SWR. I'm leaning on going more in the BJU direction, but not sure how much I will switch over. I have been wanting something that gives me dictation sentences - I've attempted making my own in the past, but just don't have the intelligence to try to remember all the words we've learned, put them all together in a sentence, and then convince dd that this is something she needs to do:) I really would like someone else to do that for me!