What's with the ads?

Photo

BJU Spelling?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Wee Pip

Wee Pip

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

Pros & Cons of BJU Spelling, please! And how does this compare to SWO? I'm looking at either 2nd or 3rd grade spelling for next year - dd will finish SWO B (2nd gr) in Sept. I'm not sure which grade spelling I would choose (dd is an *early* 2nd grader this year, and I've decided to repeat some 2nd gr material next year in order to build up her writing skills - but she has done fine with 2nd gr material thus far). Thanks!

#2 Wee Pip

Wee Pip

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

Anyone? Anyone?

#3 HollyDay

HollyDay

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6247 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

BJU Spelling is pretty much like the rest in that genre of style. It is a word list per week with various activites to do during the week to help memorize the word and its meaning. The last lesson in the week is usually a journal or brief writing lesson. It is okay. For that style of learning, it is probably very good. I used it for 2 years before switching to SWR.

#4 HollyinNNV

HollyinNNV

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1260 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Pros & Cons of BJU Spelling, please! And how does this compare to SWO? I'm looking at either 2nd or 3rd grade spelling for next year - dd will finish SWO B (2nd gr) in Sept. I'm not sure which grade spelling I would choose (dd is an *early* 2nd grader this year, and I've decided to repeat some 2nd gr material next year in order to build up her writing skills - but she has done fine with 2nd gr material thus far). Thanks!

We've done the 1st grade program. It was nothing special-just adequate to do the job. I, personally, thought it was pretty similar SWO.
Holly

#5 Wee Pip

Wee Pip

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the answers! We started out with BJU in K, then switched to SWR in 1st gr...I've learned that I definitely prefer some sort of workbook to keep me accountable and to help me see that we are making progress. I've consistently found myself lost when I try something unconvential like SWR. I'm leaning on going more in the BJU direction, but not sure how much I will switch over. I have been wanting something that gives me dictation sentences - I've attempted making my own in the past, but just don't have the intelligence to try to remember all the words we've learned, put them all together in a sentence, and then convince dd that this is something she needs to do:) I really would like someone else to do that for me!

What's with the ads?