Menu

Rule for adding 's' and 'es' to make words plural...

Is there a rule that can be taught so that we are clear on using an 's' or an 'es' at the end of words to make them plural?

Does it have anything to do with how many syllables the word ends up with once it is added? Exception being compound words like 'backpacks'? But then again...'pumpkins' is two syllables.

Or, does it have something to do with the "base" word ending in an 's' sound...'glasses' or an 'sh' like in 'dishes'?

Thanks!

Words ending with the following letters always need an added es: s, x, tch, ch, sh, (are there more?)

Examples: buses, boxes, latches, lunches, dishes

There are some exceptions, like fish, which is the same in both sing. and pl. forms.

In words like ages and laces, you can "hear" the es, but in reality, you added only an s onto the singular forms.

Usually, you can figure out when you need to use es, just by sounding out what you know the plural form is. Backpackes just doesn't look or sound right, unless you're Gollum...but, then again, he would say "backpackses," wouldn't he? :D

These are quick answers...Don't have my English grammar rule book handy at present.

If it adds an extra syllable. You need a vowel for the extra syllable. If the word ends in an "x", "ch", "sh" or "s" sound, you say an extra syllable to make it plural.

fox fox-es

church chur-ches

truck trucks

sconce scon-ces (not sconcees because there's already an 'e')

Here is the rule from Alphabet Island Phonics:

When a word ends in an 'S', we must usually double the 's' (pass) However, when we have more than one of something, we usually add the suffixes -'s' or -'es' to the word and we do not double the 's'. (Write on blackboard) We can hear which suffix we have added very easily. When we use '-es' it adds another syllable to the word. When we use '-s' it does not.

cat > cats dish > dishes

We also can add '-s' or '-es' to show what someone is doing:

I run > she runs I push > he pushes

We use '-es' with words that end with a sound similar to an 's' sound; words that end with 's', 'z', 'x', 'sh' and 'ch'

Then they give a list of words to write on the blackboard so the child can write the proper suffix. Example:

nod

boss

yell

blush

slave

match

grape

spell

puff

splash

press

buzz

etc

Then we are to use those words for spelling for a couple days, and have them write sentences with them. HTH

Words ending with the following letters always need an added es: s, x, tch, ch, sh, (are there more?)

Well, words which end with /j/ (as in judge, bridge, badge, etc.) I guess don't technically add -es, since the phonogram is "dge," but they when you add -s, then it's -es, an extra syllable.

Technically, it's the sounds that require -es: /s/, /z/, /ks/ (which would be x), /ch/, /sh/. So, regardless of the actual spelling, if those sounds are present, then you add -es.

One more way to look at it...

You add an es anytime the plural form creates a new syllable, because every syllable needs a vowel. Simple as that.

There are two basic exceptions which are easy to remember:

1. If the word ends with a silent e (age, lace, judge, bridge - all words pointed out in this thread already). In those cases, the silent e attaches to the s in the suffix and becomes the necessary vowel for the final syllable. You wouldn't make the word lace plural by spelling it lacees. The silent e in the root word plays multiple roles in the plural form - it still forces the long a sound and the soft c sound in the root word, but it also provides a vowel for the final syllable.

2. If the word ends in y, you turn the y into an i and add es. bunny - bunnies. You just have to remember this rule.

For us, it has been a LOT easier to remember it this way than the cumbersome way this is usually taught (if a word ends in z, s, etc.)

Usually, add s to a noun to form the plural

Add es to nouns ending in s, sh, ch, x, or z.

If a noun ends in y after a consonant, change the y to i and add es.

If a noun ends in y after a vowel, just add s.

Irregular nouns: child, foot, tooth, man, woman, mouse, goose, deer, sheep, fish

And, yes, I learned the above in FLL3. I'm so glad I homeschool so I can learn things out of a 3rd grade book, lol.

General rule, just add s.

Other rule:

Words ending in s, sh, x, ch, z need "es".

Our sentence to remember it is:

Sally ships extra cheese to the zoo.

Sally for the "s", ships for the "sh", extra for the "x", cheese for the "ch, and zoo for the "z".

My son remembered it the first time!

:)

General rule, just add s.

Other rule:

Words ending in s, sh, x, ch, z need "es".

Our sentence to remember it is:

Sally ships extra cheese to the zoo.

Sally for the "s", ships for the "sh", extra for the "x", cheese for the "ch, and zoo for the "z".

My son remembered it the first time!

:)

This is fantastic! My son loves using things like this to remember stuff. thanks for sharing!

I have printed all of these responses in the hopes of helping him understand. Thank you all!