Menu

Winning with Writing .vs. Essentials in Writing.... 2 new programs, cant decide!

I will offer my off-the-cuff opinion, if you want it! If it were for a higher grade like your dd, I personally might choose WWW because it is more hand-holding and incremental. If the videos for 7th grade are as short as they are for the younger grades, I would wonder if it's enough help for the assignment. Also I wouldn't need or want all that grammar instruction in with my writing program. WWW is just the writing.

(My older dd is rising 6th grade but writing at a higher level, and we use something else for writing, but if it were me and I had to choose between these two choices, I think I'd go with http://WWW.)

Just my 2 cents but worth about a ha'penny since I haven't seen either program-lol!

• 4 weeks later...
I couldn't make up my mind either so I ordered both. I may save one for the summer or next year or we may do both. My daughter loves to write so it would work to do both.

Suzanne

Does the Essentials In Writing contain a DVD only? From what I saw, there was a cd where you would print of pdf files? Or, do I have this totally wrong?

writing instruction alone, or grammar along with writing instruction. Essentials in Writing looks great but wouldn't work for us. DS11 finished R&S English 7 this past school year and is far beyond (grammar-wise) his ideal placement level for writing in the Essentials program. We'd have to wade through too much grammar review to get the writing instruction he needs.

I considered WWW, too, but it's just not quite challenging enough for my 6th grader, I think. In other words, it would take too much time to do all the lessons, but he'd actually not acquire much more writing skill than he has now, even if I accelerate a couple grades.

I'm thinking IEW SWI B for our fall term and then going with WWS for winter and spring.

Writing curriculum is a difficult choice, isn't it? It's hard to get just the right fit especially when you can't preview the entire course IRL.

Hmmm, wondering if we should just go slow and steady with WWE until we are ready for WWS. Honestly, my dc are hesitant writers. The idea of pushing too many workbooks on them, and too much heavy writing before they are ready may burn them out. Something to think about.

I love the idea of GWG , WWW, and even SWS....but it just seems like too many workbooks(for us). Decisions! I'm going in cicles.

This may sound petty to most, but it's a big deal for me...

We won't be purchasing Essentials in Writing. I watched the sample video for fourth grade after getting really excited about this possibility. I had to turn the video off after only a minute because I couldn't stand how many times the teacher said, "Um."

If my kids are going to watch someone everyday, I want that person to be a good model for language. I am sure this guy is awesome, and maybe everyone will end up loving his program, but you have to start weeding things out somewhere and that did it for me.

I was much more impressed with the IEW videos I saw online. We haven't purchased IEW because it is just too expensive.

I like what I see in WWW and written typos are easy to correct.

After teaching in the classroom and now being spoiled by SWB's level of language, I just have some pet peeves...

Does the Essentials In Writing contain a DVD only? From what I saw, there was a cd where you would print of pdf files? Or, do I have this totally wrong?

The Essentials in Writing contains a DVD with the lessons and a CD that you can use to print out the assignments. I think you can also opt to pay extra and order a workbook. I didn't get the workbook; I'll just print the pages I need.

Suzanne

This may sound petty to most, but it's a big deal for me...

We won't be purchasing Essentials in Writing. I watched the sample video for fourth grade after getting really excited about this possibility. I had to turn the video off after only a minute because I couldn't stand how many times the teacher said, "Um."

If my kids are going to watch someone everyday, I want that person to be a good model for language. I am sure this guy is awesome, and maybe everyone will end up loving his program, but you have to start weeding things out somewhere and that did it for me.

I was much more impressed with the IEW videos I saw online. We haven't purchased IEW because it is just too expensive.

I like what I see in WWW and written typos are easy to correct.

After teaching in the classroom and now being spoiled by SWB's level of language, I just have some pet peeves...

:iagree: I don't see that as petty at all. Have you seen this with other levels as well?

The Essentials in Writing contains a DVD with the lessons and a CD that you can use to print out the assignments. I think you can also opt to pay extra and order a workbook. I didn't get the workbook; I'll just print the pages I need.

Suzanne

Oh wow! good to know! I don't want to have to print anything, it's too expensive on my printer!!!!