Menu

trouble adjusting to bifocals...

Last year I needed bifocals. I got the no line type and just could not deal with them. I took them back after a couple weeks try and got single vision lenses again. At this year's appointment I got bifocals again, but I got the line type since the gal said that would help with the reasons I didn't like the no lines. I am still not liking these things.:glare: How long should I expect to adjust or maybe they just aren't for me? Anyone else have difficulty adjusting to bifocals? I hate feeling like I'm in a blur all the time. By the end of the day, my eyes ache.

I'm interested in the responses you get. I just got progressives for the first time. I got them at Walmart. I like the sunglasses much better than the regular glasses and I think its because of the size of the lens.

When I brought them home, dh was surprised - he got his from Zenni optical and they had a size limitation on the frame height that my glasses clearly violate! And they assured me they could put progressive lenses in them.

I just got them, so I'll keep trying them for a bit longer - but I think I really needed to go with a different frame. (Do you think the size of your frames may be the issue?)

My frames are a bit larger than what I was wearing with single vision lenses. But, all of the frames available there appeared to be similar in size. The gal helping me knew my previous issues with bifocals and did not indicate anything about frame size.

It took me 7 days to get used to my bifocals. Up until day 7 I was ready to throw them away.

I have a larger lens that gives plenty of room for the bifocal (whatever its called).

I need new lenses and went to a Pearle Vision at our mall to see what glasses they had. They told me I could go with a smaller lens and still have bifocals, that no one complains, blah blah blah.

I checked with my eyedoctor and they said while you technically can (apparently its a fairly new thing), he did not recommend it and gave me the whole thing about how it affects your vision, etc. Plus being I am used to mine with the larger lens it would also feel strange to me as my eyes have already adapted.

Hope this makes some sense.

It took me 7 days to get used to my bifocals. Up until day 7 I was ready to throw them away.

I have a larger lens that gives plenty of room for the bifocal (whatever its called).

I need new lenses and went to a Pearle Vision at our mall to see what glasses they had. They told me I could go with a smaller lens and still have bifocals, that no one complains, blah blah blah.

I checked with my eyedoctor and they said while you technically can (apparently its a fairly new thing), he did not recommend it and gave me the whole thing about how it affects your vision, etc. Plus being I am used to mine with the larger lens it would also feel strange to me as my eyes have already adapted.

Hope this makes some sense.

I went to Pearle. How large exactly are your frames? I have 5/8" for distance vision and 3/8" for reading. I'm ok if I am sitting and do not need to move much, but when I am up and moving around, I end up looking through the reading part too much.

It took me a good year to adjust to transition lenses. Now I like them.

My dh was this way. I personally preferred my progressives within an hour. My optician warned me though that for my eyes and brain to adjust and find the 'sweet spots' for my regular use that it could take a month or so. I have had them about a month now and still have to adjust for some things but not all.