Menu

Horse shopping---another update--Monday

Well, yesterday my instructor and I drove 45 minutes away with the trailer only to come home empty.

The horse was the right size and age but didn't have the training the owner said he did. Wouldn't neck rein, didn't want to walk near the trailers, was spinning around---all with my instructor on board. I didn't even ride as I knew that wasn't what I wanted.

Now we have a new prospect. Mark is a black, 14.2hh, 15 year old quarter horse/morgan cross. His owner has health issues and wears leg braces and moved to a gaited horse. He has been on lots of trail rides, in state and out of state. She said that his spook is a small shy to the side and a look---that I can handle.

My instructor went and rode him last night as he belongs to a friend of hers. She said that even though he has not been ridden since Oct. he was perfect for her--even in the dark and deeper snow. He stands very still for mounting (owner has to place her legs into stirrups with her hands) and was calm and quiet.

The current plan is for me to see him tomorrow afternoon. Then, if I like him, my instructor will take him to her house for 1-2 weeks for the trial period. I can go ride him there, take lessons on him there, and she will trailer him to the indoor where we take lessons on Fridays. Then if I like him, he is mine. If not, he will go back to the owner--who wants first buy back of him.

This is the first one that my instructor said is a real possibility for me. It is nice as she knows this horse and his history as her husband's aunt owned him until his current owner bought him--so only a 2 owner horse as well. They have ridden out together as well so she has seen him on the trails, with other horses, etc.

Tomorrow will tell. At least he is CLOSE--only 15 minutes away and reasonably priced.

We are going to see him at 4:30 today. If I can find my camera I will take some pictures. My friend where I board knows this lady and has for years. She said her horses are well taken care of and she is very honest.

We might even get to do the 2 week trial at the barn where I board since the owner knows my friend well too. We will see.

[

Well, after the farrier's visit to pull his shoes, Mark is coming for a 2 week visit/trial period.

It was raining so I didn't ride. Rain doesn't bother me or him but when we had 24 inches of snow with rain on TOP of it, it becomes very slippery.

He was very calm and quiet--even with my girls running around. He is more like 14.2hh which is a perfect size for me. He had nice soft eyes as well.

Hopefully by Thursday he will be at the barn.

The only big downer to this is that my riding instructor's husband called me a little before we were to see the horse that he was on the way to ER with her. Not sure what is going on (she has been sick off and on) but praying it is nothing serious and she will be well soon.

Oh hooray! (about Mark, not about DI's DH.)

Did you have him vetted? Have you ridden him yet? Did your DI?

Has he changed hands yet? In other words, do you own him?

Gotta agree with Meka -- you are so lucky to have a dear instructor going sticking with you through this.

Still no word on my riding instructor and how she is doing. I will see if her vehicle is at work today when I drive past.

No, he hasn't been vetted yet---I will do that during the 2 week trial. Didn't ride him yet but my friend where I board stopped and realized that she has known this horse for years as well. My riding instructor can tell quite quickly if a horse will be a good ride for me or not. I will ride him during the trial as we go can indoors if the weather won't cooperate---48 and rain today, near blizzard conditions and 15 tomorrow.

I don't own him yet. I will put a down payment down on him when I take him (again pending weather) and then pay the rest after the 2 weeks.

Out of all of the horses that I have seen, this one just seems to "fit".

My instructor has to go back to the hospital for more tests. Not sure what is going on but figure if she wants to share details she will, if not, we can just pray for her the same.

I am waiting to hear more on the horse and if the farrier is coming soon to pull his shoes. It would just make me nervous to have him in the barn with the snow we are supposed to get tonight (storm warning/possible blizzard) with shoes on. He also needs a trim so the farrier could do that as well.

My instructor said she could give me a few lessons on him in the next 2 weeks (so she must be semi OK) to make sure he will work out for me.

Now, I just need to think of a better name. Mark just doesn't do it for me for a horse.

Yes, although my son shrunk the picture for me, and I kept accusing him of distoring the poor horse's nose!

We are so excited, because we have been looking for over a year. I kept telling my girls, "We just have to pray for the right horse at the right time for the right price."

Everybody agrees that this horse is perfect for us. Even though he is a former racehorse, he is a great big baby. My kids are very relaxed on him because he is so gentle.

We bought him from his original owner, who was there at his birth. She never would have sold him, but a mutual friend told her about my daughter, and convinced her that he would be happier living here with us.

We are busy getting ready for his big homecoming!

How big is he? He looks big? Then again, after riding a few 16-16.2hh horses I opted for one that is 14.2hh. I like to be closer to the ground.

The horse I am trying out (when this blizzard stuff quits) is from a similar situation. His current owner doesn't want to sell but has to due to having MS and not being able to ride him (she had to go gaited). She is allowing him to come as she knows my riding instructor, my friend where I board, etc.

I am really happy for you! Cant wait to see what you name him. I did a clinic this past weekend with Barron called "connected riding" it is basically "centered riding" And i just loved it.

It was all about balance.

I love having Barron....but i get so frustrated because i want to have my own farm so i can see him everyday. Maybe one day (one dream at a time, right?)

Congratulations,....let us know how the trial is going!

We are still waiting to get him. He still had front shoes on and those needed to be pulled and his feet trimmed before I could ride him in the snow, etc. Hopefully that was done last night. Now though we are under near blizzard conditions with windchills of 15-20 BELOW zero and blowing snow. NOT the weather to trailer a horse at all. There is also a layer of ice on all of the roads beneath the snow as we got 1/2 inch of rain yesterday before the temps dropped suddenly.

If things clear, I am hoping tomorrow or Friday to get him. I though don't want to take a risk with hauling a horse on bad roads. Patience is good, right?

I would like to have him by Friday as I will be staying at the farm where I board him, Friday through Monday as my friend is flying (if her flights go out) to Alaska this morning to see her husband and her daughter is going to the teen retreat this weekend.

I think he is 16 or 16.2 hands. My 13 year old is 5'6", and I don't know how much more she is going to grow. She told me that she has never felt as safe on a horse as she did on Tino.

There are pictures on the kids' website (in my sig) of her riding. In the last picture, you can see by her posture how completely relaxed she is. This is my daughter with Asperger's. She doesn't always have the best impulse control, so we really needed a bomb proof horse.

When she was riding him, a blue heeler puppy was yapping at his feet. He didn't care at all. Then my friend's husband rode the tractor around them, and my daughter said that the horse did not even tense up.

He has been boarded at my friend's place for the last year, so she would know if he had any hidden bad habits or vices.

I don't think they would sell him to me if it was just my 13 year old, but since I have 3 younger children. They know he will have someone to ride him for the rest of his life.