Menu

IEW vs. Winning with Writing

Is anyone else toying with these two programs? We've used IEW in the past and have found it very helpful.

Winning with Writing looks very appealing and much more straightforward to teach.

Any thoughts on the two programs and why you might choose one over the other?

Thanks!

I just placed an order for Winning with Writing. I really love the looks of IEW, but I just can't afford it at this time. I am saving up for it though. I want to use WwW in the meantime because I am not sure what we are doing with ds. It's possible that we may try him in public school next year, and this program looks like it may get him accustomed to typical ps writing assignments. It also looked very well laid out, methodical, and easy to follow, which is a plus for my aspie ds. I know some have seen the samples and commented that it looked too structured, but he needs the structure and hand holding. We have previously used WWE at an accelerated pace, along with TOG's Writing Aids. Probably when I get the WWS samples my whole plan will be shot though...:D

I've tried to use IEW a couple of times but I can't get into it. It teaches some good skills but I just can't get past the "formulatic" feel of it. Does every paragraph have an "ly" word, a strong adjective, a who/which clause?

I had planned to use a combo of WWS 4 along with WWW this next year. WWW looks very straightforward and easy to use; perfect for my reluctant writer. I was blown away however after looking at the WWS samples. WWS looks fantastic and may be all I need. :confused:

For lack of better options I bought IEW a few weeks ago - now that WWW and WWS are coming out I feel like I don't need to go there. I'm very concerned about the heavy style emphasis that IEW creates so I'm returning it and going with WWW for my younger kids (along with some WWE) and WWS for my oldest (fifth grade this fall).

I'm not familiar with this acronym. Would someone elaborate, please?

For me, IEW does involve much more on the part of the parent, but we've experienced excellent results. I don't know that it's a program we need every year, but I'm so thankful for the 'tools in the toolbox' it's given my children. I haven't found my children's writing to be formulaic, but we haven't used it every year either.

I'll be interested to look at the other two programs mentioned here - WWS and WWE - I assume these range into jr. high level as well?

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with this acronym. Would someone elaborate, please?

For me, IEW does involve much more on the part of the parent, but we've experienced excellent results. I don't know that it's a program we need every year, but I'm so thankful for the 'tools in the toolbox' it's given my children. I haven't found my children's writing to be formulaic, but we haven't used it every year either.

I'll be interested to look at the other two programs mentioned here - WWS and WWE - I assume these range into jr. high level as well?

Thank you!

WWE = Writing With Ease, SWB's writing program, levels 1-4 (for grades 1-4 or older students who need more work) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-instructor-text.html

WWS = Writing With Skill, SWB's writing program for grades 5-8. It is not out yet, but samples are just becoming available (you can get samples by emailing, and I'd guess it won't be long before samples are posted to the website).

Writing With Skill won't be out until January 2012?

Robin et al.,

Actually you *can* get the first weeks by emailing my assistant Patricia Worth, pattie@welltrainedmind.com. Samples *will* be up on the web as soon as they're properly proofread and relatively error free. And the .pdf *will* be available in the fall. Sorry for the miscommunication...things keep changing here and I don't think I've done a very good job keeping everyone at the office up to date! Will follow up on that next week.

SWB

The sample I received by email is extremely generous and will tide us over until the PDF is available in the fall.

WWE = Writing With Ease, SWB's writing program, levels 1-4 (for grades 1-4 or older students who need more work) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-instructor-text.html

WWS = Writing With Skill, SWB's writing program for grades 5-8. It is not out yet, but samples are just becoming available (you can get samples by emailing, and I'd guess it won't be long before samples are posted to the website).

Will WWS 5-8 from SWB all be available this winter? My son is going into 8th grade, and I'm still trying to decide on a writing program. We have used R&S from 3rd up, and he's a great writer. He can do paragraphs and essays well. He needs to learn more about longer writing assignments, and I think he needs to learn to plan more. I was thinking of IEW, but I don't like the price tag or want to frustrate him in any way with writing since that's one of the easy things right now.

see post #10 :)

I read post #10. I also have the sample from Pattie. I don't see anything but the one for 5th grade. After looking at what is covered according to an article that I think was written on the blog, I don't think my son would need any of these but possibly the 8th grade books. I wish the books for 9-12 were going to be out soon. I think we stay ahead of SWB. I wish she had started all of this sooner, or I'd of had my son later! :)

I read post #10. I also have the sample from Pattie. I don't see anything but the one for 5th grade. After looking at what is covered according to an article that I think was written on the blog, I don't think my son would need any of these but possibly the 8th grade books. I wish the books for 9-12 were going to be out soon. I think we stay ahead of SWB. I wish she had started all of this sooner, or I'd of had my son later! :)

oops, I read your question too fast - sorry!! I highly doubt that the higher grades will be available in your timeframe, but I suppose it can't hurt to ask - maybe you could email the same person.

Is anyone else toying with these two programs? We've used IEW in the past and have found it very helpful.

Winning with Writing looks very appealing and much more straightforward to teach.

Any thoughts on the two programs and why you might choose one over the other?

Thanks!

I have both programs. I have begun IEW with my DD10, we both like it. I love the way it teaches writing. When I saw WWW a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist, since we have GWG and really like that, and I was looking for something for my younger 2. So I bought WWW3 and 1 for them. It was not at all what I expected...oddly enough, not enough writing.

WWW does have some good exercises, so I will still use it this year supplemented with lots of written narrations, but I won't buy it again. Next year I will simply move my then 2nd and 4th graders onto IEW.

Also, I'll add that I looked at the new WWS samples, and it seems more similar to IEW in how it uses outlining and rewriting original texts at least in the beginning.

I want to start IEW, but the price tag is more than I can spend right now.

I am wondering if this would work: buying the Blending Structure and Style book for $35 from the IEW site, along with the TWSS workbook and both the TWSS overview and Tips & Tricks DVDs. That would cost me about $80 and give me a little jumpstart into the IEW program.

Opinions?

For a few bucks more you can start with an IEW intensive (99$) which has Andrew Pudewa (sp?) teaching the lessons to your child. I think it would be a better investment of your money and you could always get on the yahoo group and save up for the TWSS. Just a thought...There are also tons of files and helps at the yahoo group.

You could also just take a dive and start with something like All Things Fun and Fascinating which can really be done as a stand alone, or an introduction to the IEW principles.

HTH,

Dee

ps I couldn't afford the TWSS so I opted to get the SWI-C for my 9th grader and for my 5th grader I purchased the All Things Fun and Fascinating book. I'm really looking forward to August just so that we can start these. :)

I'm surprised to hear that WWW doesn't offer enough writing. I have only looked at the upper level samples, 7 and 8. Maybe too many exercises and not enough writing. I found this to be the case with Wordsmith Apprentice when we used it several years ago.

I agree, IEW is a great program. I thought perhaps WWW would be a little more manageable in terms of time, teacher involvement, etc., but it doesn't sound like the benefits are nearly the same.

I just received the sample of WWS and it does seem somewhat similar to IEW and looks very appealing.

Decisions, decisions...thank you for the comparison, it was quite helpful.

Back to sorting this out...

I have both programs. I have begun IEW with my DD10, we both like it. I love the way it teaches writing. When I saw WWW a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist, since we have GWG and really like that, and I was looking for something for my younger 2. So I bought WWW3 and 1 for them. It was not at all what I expected...oddly enough, not enough writing.

WWW does have some good exercises, so I will still use it this year supplemented with lots of written narrations, but I won't buy it again. Next year I will simply move my then 2nd and 4th graders onto IEW.

Also, I'll add that I looked at the new WWS samples, and it seems more similar to IEW in how it uses outlining and rewriting original texts at least in the beginning.