Menu

If you've used these Teaching Company courses, would you share your thoughts, please?

I'm interested in the following courses:

The Art of Public Speaking

The Art of Reading

Museum Masterpieces:The Louvre

Books That Have Made History

Our NIght Sky

The Great Ideas of Philosphy

Classical Mythology

Most of these are for me. Night Sky and Philosophy would be for dh. Eventually dd11 may use all of them. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thank you,

Carolyn

We used Classical Mythology by Elizabeth Vandiver. Wonderful course - as are all her lectures. The whole family, including both DS11 and DD13, enjoyed them very much, and we learned a lot.

A heads-up: depending on how comfortable you are with discussions of sexuality, you may want to skip lecture 21 (Monstrous females and female monsters) for a younger student. You can see a summary of the lecture in the course guidebook and decide; I could imagine some people being uncomfortable using this one.

Our NIght Sky

My ds has watched all of TC's astronomy lectures, so this evaluation is from him.

Our Night Sky is more focused on constellations and how to use your telescope. Whereas if you wanted one that talks about the universe then a good starter would be My Favorite Universe. He liked Our Night Sky. It just depends on what your dh wants to focus on.

The Art of Reading is very good; I like his speaking style. It helps to read the works of literature he is discussing in each lecture. I've tried to do that.

The Museum: The Louvre is interesting; I've only watched a few of the lectures so far.

Make sure you get them all at a deep discount before you buy!

I liked The Art of Reading, too. It is not about literary analysis exactly in the sense that he doesn't walk you through setting, characters, plot, theme or how to write a paper. The way I remember it, it's almost a series of 'how to write a book' lectures in that he shows you how authors use certain elements to create the effect that they want. It's like looking at literary analysis from the author's point of view.