Menu

(Children's) book review site with Christian perspective?

I now know that there are sites that provide movie reviews for parents to help determine if a movie is acceptable for a child to watch.

Are there similar sites for books?

As much as I'd like to pre-read everything my children do, it's just not possible but I have strong reservations against just letting them loose in the library.- I'm all for selecting their own books from the library, of course, but I managed to get myself on a slippery slope with book choices in my tween years (my parents had no interest in what I was reading) and I'd like to avoid that for my kids, if possible. There are a few titles that I'd like to look up before handing them over to my kids. :bigear:

I don't have any websites, a couple resources I use are Honey for a Child's Heart and Honey for a Teen's Heart, both by Gladys Hunt. And I like Books Children Love by Elizabeth Hunt. These are book anthologies, so they list books that they find worthwhile - not reviews on all books out there.

hth,

Thank you. I do use those, but there's also been a whole bunch of books (like Percy Jackson, although PC is not an issue as I've let my oldest read those) that have come out since those were printed. I'm sure there's a lot of good mixed in with bad and I need some help sorting it all out.

The difficultly would be deciding which books are okay for whom. Teen books begin opening up real life issues. Each family (and each child) would need to set their own boundaries, which would then change with time and experience.

Even if there is a site that lists the potentially touchy subject matters, you don't know how the author treats it.

Both of my dd's read a book about a transgendered child, it was well written and the author addressed the issue with care. Both girls loved it. If I just saw a list with the book's name and the topic listed I don't know if I would have given it a try.

It is a good idea but I think difficult in reality. I hope someone has a good resource for you.

p.s. I also had an iffy experience as a reader in my teenage years. I developed an unhealthy addiction to Harlequin romances. It interfered with my study time and definately gave me a skewed view of adult relationships. They were not explicit, this was the 70s :001_smile:, just mind rotting and unrealistic.

I'm not sure what ages your kids are but here are a few sites that I have found helpful:

ratedreads.com - I love that I can browse for a book based on their rating system or by genre, author, etc.

goodcleanreads - I have found many books through this site but she doesn't seem to post too often.

Teen Lit Review - this one is specifically for Christian parents and teens.

Hope this helps. I know it can be very difficult to find good books!