Menu

Let's talk math enrichment

Another thread prompted me to ask, what math material do you use, outside of traditional textbooks or workbooks, that are inspiring or help your child to think more mathematically.

-Hands on Algebra

-Patty Paper Geometry

-Fibonaccis books from the library

-ideas from living math website

For K-5, I used a list of library books (like the books on livingmath.net, which unfortunately came along after I had made my list.) We would check out a few each week on different math topics.

I buy math puzzle books, Critical Thinking Press math books, and the math software from CTP for them to use.

For middle school, we do MathCounts. We have used books from Art of Problem Solving to prepare.

I require my dc to take music lessons, and we teach and play chess.

We also have other math games. When they were K-3 or so, we had daily time with manipulatives. I have a huge collection of manipulatives and books to go with them.

We watch TC lectures on math.

We also worked through Family Math, creating and playing games from that. I made them into individual games in file folders and then they could play them together frequently.

We also dabble in computer programming (an extension of mathematics) and read books about statistics. Ed Zacarro has a store where he and his wife sell a variety of books about statistics, engineering, math problem solving, etc. Anything from them is good.

We take math related field trips. For example, last year we attended a planetarium show about fractals.

I bet I'm the OP on that other thread ;)

Math Resources Meant for Adults But You Can Pick Through for Younger Kids

Raymond Smullyan's puzzle books, starting with The Lady or the Tiger? I designed a co-op class from these a few years ago that was very well received.

Martin Gardener's math puzzle books

Paul Zeitz's Great Courses DVD on Art and Craft of Mathematical Problem Solving

ANY Great Courses lectures by Art Benjamin - he's a mental math expert who calls himself a 'mathmagician' and does stage shows, highly entertaining and LOVES his subject matter.

Math Resources Meant for Kids

Edward Zacarro's math challenge books

The Snake and the Fox (logic text for middle school/high school - remember, logic is a branch of math!)

Murderous Maths - a British series, like the Horrible Histories but about math topics, these were hard for me to find the whole series but I finally found them here - http://www.fun-books.com/books/murderous_maths.htm

How to Lie With Statistics (EDITED to add this one!)

I'm sure I have more, that's all I can think of now!!

Edited by Deniseibase
forgot something!