Menu

Anyone homeschooling 4 days a week with ...

Friday as a field trip day? I'm thinking of putting together a European art/history segment and traveling 2 Friday's a month. I'm also thinking of using that day for music instruction. Also...what about year round schooling...how do you schedule your breaks?

Thanks!:D

Right now, we school four full-day schedules per week with a light day either Thursday or Friday (homeschool group or field trip two Thursdays per month, visiting with friends two Fridays per month).

Schedule-wise, we typically begin in July and finish in May. When we are on a five-day/full-day schedule, we school four weeks and take one week off. When we are on a four-day/full-day schedule, we school six weeks and take one week off. At Christmas, we usually take three weeks off and we like our summer break to be 4-6 weeks if possible.

I am thinking of starting this when my Dh graduates, because he will have Friday as his day off. (He is in ministry, and works on Sunday) I would love to have more field trip ideas, though. I am afraid it would just become another Saturday if I don't have a plan!

We start our new year in August, go through May, light in June and take July off.

We don't schedule breaks, but we take off when we have company (at least 3 weeks a year), when we go on vacation (usually 3 weeks a year), and 1-2 weeks for Christmas. We also take off time for various doctor's appointments or when we need them for other reasons (sickness, birthdays, etc).

For the next 11 weeks, we'll have 4 days of our "core subjects", and then 1 day of co-op (long story, but dh really wanted us to participate for reasons other than academics). So while we'll still have 5 days of school to count toward our state requirement, we'll only have 4 days of things I've deemed important.

We go on field trips on most Fridays. I try very hard to gear it toward whatever we were studing that week if I can; most times I cannot. This past Friday we went to the museum of science and butterfly museum; totally counted as science. The week before that was to a park for a bit, totally counted for PE. I am still looking for something this Friday but if nothing shows itself we will go on nature hike at the closest state park; which we have done way to many times. As far as our schedule goes, I guess you would say we go year-round; work for four weeks and then take a week off. We also take the time from Thanksgiving till the 4th or 5th of Jan. We go thru the summer as well because it is so hot here in Houston during the summer no one goes out. :)

Thursday a.m. is Bible Study and Friday is our Co-Op day (PE & Science).

Because I have lots of littles I don't schedule more than a week of time off around the holiday. Life has a way of making sure we get timeoff in between for illness, travel, etc.

We have become year round schoolers too. And that helps us keep on 'schedule' in making progress. Right now we're down to the basics, the 3R's. Soon we'll pick back up the history and science. Make a certain subject our focus for a period of time does help keep interest and focus.

I schedule mostly 4-day weeks, but am flexible about which day we don't work. Some weeks, we also work Saturday because we only got in 3 days of school during the "workweek." We do year-round, but don't really schedule breaks. We were off for about 3 weeks for Christmas, about a week in the fall for a family vacation, and will probably take a week in February to visit Grandma. I was willing to wait another week before starting back after Christmas, but K was not, so we got back to work at her request. I think it helps that they've never been on the agricultural calendar that most outschools use - they do know that their friends are more available in the summer, but don't complain about doing school when outschools are off. Maybe because it doesn't take a full day? We also sometimes go to a museum or zoo or whatever after finishing school, or do school when we get back.

I don't consider us schooling 4 days a week, however, Friday is a light day for us. Dc have P.E., so Fridays are lighter. They have a spelling test, math (about 1/2 the amount for Mon-Thurs), P.E., art, and reading. This is also our go run errands/ go to the library day, etc. We start in August, and have off June/July, and about 3 weeks at Christmas.

We do school Mon - Thurs, Friday is homeschool PE and parkday with our homeschool group.

I basically do school year round. I take breaks at holidays, when vacations or life events come up, or when I feel the need for a break.

DS is 11.5, and this works out fine for us.

Michelle T