Menu

PAC Integrated Physics and Chemistry

Does anyone have lab or kit suggestions for this curriculum?

Please give feedback on the program when you are done. We were very disappointed with the quality of the PAC Anatomy and Physiology program. Our oldest did it, but we ended up supplementing with so many other things that it seemed ridiculous.

Please give feedback on the program when you are done. We were very disappointed with the quality of the PAC Anatomy and Physiology program. Our oldest did it, but we ended up supplementing with so many other things that it seemed ridiculous.

My dd used it last year and it covers simply the basics of 'what' chemistry and physics are and some history behind them. It will NOT prepare your student for the science portion of the ACT :001_huh: Easy enough to remedy with a little studying for the ACT, but just something to keep in mind, as the PAC courses simply cover the VERY basic bases of subjects.

It will NOT prepare your student for the science portion of the ACT :001_huh:

Neither will Apologia, or Abeka or BJU or Prentice Hall or Hewitt or any other science curriculum. The ACT science section isn't at all about what you know -- it's all about reasoning skills, interpreting data from tables, graphs and charts, and making inferences.

Neither will Apologia, or Abeka or BJU or Prentice Hall or Hewitt or any other science curriculum. The ACT science section isn't at all about what you know -- it's all about reasoning skills, interpreting data from tables, graphs and charts, and making inferences.

That's true---and quite ridiculous at the same time!

My DD simply does not like Science and is not great at Math. I am trying to find a science curriculum that won't be BORING and too mathy. Upon the suggestion of others on this board I thought we might try PAC.

I am open to other suggestions as I have not placed an order yet.

We have used PAC IPC this year and my dd liked it. We did do 10 books/chapters in one year instead of splitting it up in 2 like they suggest. I am not worried about whether or not it contained enough info for the ACT test. I don't care which science curriculum we use, she just doesn't retain the information because she dislikes science so much. (although she has retained some with this course) Like a pp said, we can use a study guide to brush up on science right before the test.

As far as labs go, can you cover them in other science courses she takes? How many lab components does your state require for graduation?

As far as labs go, can you cover them in other science courses she takes? How many lab components does your state require for graduation?

I agree that you should check and see how many labs your state requires. I would imagine, though, that labs for physical science would be less involved than the higher level sciences.

If you want to make it affordable and easy, I would pick up a used copy of Apologia's Physical Science textbook, even the first edition. Apologia's labs usually only require items from around the house. You would need to go through the table of contents and match up the experiments with the appropriate lessons in PAC. Here is a link to the lab supply list for their text.

I don't think you would have to complete every single lab, either. My dh teaches at a public school and those kids do very few labs, even though they are getting credit for doing a lab science.

My DD simply does not like Science and is not great at Math. I am trying to find a science curriculum that won't be BORING and too mathy. Upon the suggestion of others on this board I thought we might try PAC.

Your reasons are exactly why I used PAC with dd ;) Another option to look at is Power Basics. They have Chemistry and Physics courses that are meant to just cover the basics too. You can look at samples at the Walch Power Basics site or CBD.

This is the reason that I did the PAC biology and anatomy courses with my dd last year for 9th grade. We did add dissections and microscope labs, also she did a life science class at a coop that reinforced what she was learning at home.

But as atozmom said, I would do it in one year, not over two. My dd, even being science hating, could do a lesson in 30 mins or less.