Menu

My Son stepped on a rusty nail!

I said, "I don't want the Tdap one."

She said, "but your doctor ordered that one."

I said, "I don't want that one."

She said, "I'll go ask your doctor." Like it would be my doctors decision??

Well yes, it is the doctor's decision, when it comes down to it. It's a prescription, and the MD can choose which one to prescribe. The nurse MUST get the MD's permission to administer something other than what the MD prescribed - she can't just give you the other shot because you ask for it.

This is a scope of practice issue, not anything personal.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that a tetanus shot after an injury is useless because of the amount of time it takes for it to go through the system. I have some info here on how to treat tetanus... I'll see if I can find it and come back and post again.

As long as the person was fully vaccinated at some point, the tetanus shot is sufficient after an injury. People still have some immunity for many years after the primary series, so the booster causes a quicker antibody response.

OTOH, if someone hasn't been fully immunized, they need TIG after the injury, in addition to the booster.

Surgery by a surgeon, I presume. The way it was written, it seemed [to me] like a recommended home remedy. :001_huh:

I don't think that was a recommendation. That was more like when you give a toddler 2 choices. You can pick up your toys, or mommy can pick them up for you and put them in the charity bag. Which one do you want to do? She was explaining that the only other choice in this matter is highly unappealing.

Well yes, it is the doctor's decision, when it comes down to it. It's a prescription, and the MD can choose which one to prescribe. The nurse MUST get the MD's permission to administer something other than what the MD prescribed - she can't just give you the other shot because you ask for it.

This is a scope of practice issue, not anything personal.

I just don't think that's it's her decision to prescribe the Tdap over the Td without even asking me. I'm not saying the nurse shouldn't go ask the doctor. I'm saying....shouldn't I have the final say on which one I want....it's something that would be injected into my body? I could just refuse any.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I thought I would do an update.

We are headed in to see our Chiropractor this morning. He will look at the wound and then advice. DS will also do a foot bath that draws out toxins. I do trust this Dr as he isn't rabid about NEVER doing anything medically, he knows my ds and the issues we deal with in him. If he recommends the shot that is what we will do, if he recommends something else we will look at that.;)

Thanks for the update. I had no idea that chiropractors gave shots or treated puncture wounds.

We have been in the same exact situation. My 12yo dd hadn't shots since she was 18mo and she stepped on a rusty nail. I took her immediately to the ER and she got the tetanus vax. The nurse did say that there is a 72 hour window to get the vax after injury. Everything turned out fine.

Joy

I thought I would do an update.

We are headed in to see our Chiropractor this morning. He will look at the wound and then advice. DS will also do a foot bath that draws out toxins. I do trust this Dr as he isn't rabid about NEVER doing anything medically, he knows my ds and the issues we deal with in him. If he recommends the shot that is what we will do, if he recommends something else we will look at that.;)

Please only do this as long as you are comfortable with the very real risk that your son may develop a deadly disease if you choose not to give him the vax. A "foot bath" is not going to draw out any tetanus toxins nor will it prevent the disease. As I said in my previous post...you have 72 hours from the time of injury. After that, the point is moot.

If you do not give him the shot, please be on the lookout for any of these symptoms, which can develop from 7-21 days after the injury:

You should suspect tetanus if a cut or wound is followed by one or more of these symptoms:

• Stiffness of the neck, jaw, and other muscles, often accompanied by a grotesque, grinning expression.

• Irritability.

• Uncontrollable spasms of the jaw, called lockjaw, and neck muscles.

• Painful, involuntary contraction of other muscles which may cause muscle tearing or bone breakage.

• In some cases, symptoms will develop in the absence of any cut or wound that you can recall. In addition, you may notice restlessness, lack of appetite, and drooling.

• Uncontrolled urination and defication.

• Difficulty breathing.

• Fever

If your son develops ANY of these symptoms....RUN to the ER and explain that he had a puncture wound and has NOT been vaxed. You seriously won't have a minute to waste.

Thanks for the update. I had no idea that chiropractors gave shots or treated puncture wounds.
Or that they are allowed to professionally.

It's not a choice I would have made, but I wish the OP and her son the best.

I just don't think that's it's her decision to prescribe the Tdap over the Td without even asking me. I'm not saying the nurse shouldn't go ask the doctor. I'm saying....shouldn't I have the final say on which one I want....it's something that would be injected into my body? I could just refuse any.

Ideally, yes, it would be more personalized, and the MD would discuss every single vax decision in detail and come to a mutual decision with the patient, and not just have standard orders.

Looking at it from a practical perspective... no. It's neither legally required nor feasible for an MD to offer every patient a menu of all possible prescription options for every medication decision. And that's essentially what you're asking. The TDaP is the currently recommended vaccination on the CDC schedule. The MD has no good reason to offer anything else, in absence of contraindication in the patient's history.

Ethically, I agree with you - I'd think it would be better for the MD to to prescribe you Td if you're refusing the TDaP but willing to do Td. But neither of us know the whole story. Maybe they only have one dose of Td available, and know that it's a special order and will take 5 days before they can get more, and therefore want to save it for someone who has a known contraindication to the combined vax. Maybe they don't have Td in stock at all. Maybe it's a liability issue. Or maybe the MD just doesn't like having their decisions questioned.

Or maybe the nurse was just surprised by having someone request something different when 99% of the patients just go with what is offered without question, and badly phrased her legal obligation to go ask the doctor for a change in prescription.

(None of this is a judgement on you, btw. I'm a delayed/selective vaxer myself. It's just something I've been on both sides of, so I can understand something about the thought processes and legal issues involved.)

Edited by ocelotmom

Chiropractors cannot treat this legally. I think she's just asking him for his advice.
If she's headed into his office and paying for his professional opinion, it's more than just asking for neighborly advice.

If she's headed into his office and paying for his professional opinion, it's more than just asking for neighborly advice.

Definitely. I think she meant that the chiropractor would refer her for a shot, not administer it himself. I hope so, anyway, because he would certainly be breaking the law if he is vaccinating out of his office.

Please only do this as long as you are comfortable with the very real risk that your son may develop a deadly disease if you choose not to give him the vax. A "foot bath" is not going to draw out any tetanus toxins nor will it prevent the disease. As I said in my previous post...you have 72 hours from the time of injury. After that, the point is moot.

If you do not give him the shot, please be on the lookout for any of these symptoms, which can develop from 7-21 days after the injury:

You should suspect tetanus if a cut or wound is followed by one or more of these symptoms:

• Stiffness of the neck, jaw, and other muscles, often accompanied by a grotesque, grinning expression.

• Irritability.

• Uncontrollable spasms of the jaw, called lockjaw, and neck muscles.

• Painful, involuntary contraction of other muscles which may cause muscle tearing or bone breakage.

• In some cases, symptoms will develop in the absence of any cut or wound that you can recall. In addition, you may notice restlessness, lack of appetite, and drooling.

• Uncontrolled urination and defication.

• Difficulty breathing.

• Fever

If your son develops ANY of these symptoms....RUN to the ER and explain that he had a puncture wound and has NOT been vaxed. You seriously won't have a minute to waste.

By the time you get to seeing symptoms, it may be too late. It's a serious disease. Here's a bit from wikipedia on treatment options (if they even work):

Mortality rates reported vary from 48% to 73%. In recent years, approximately 11% of reported tetanus cases have been fatal. The highest mortality rates are in unvaccinated people and people over 60 years of age....

Severe tetanus

Severe cases will require admission to intensive care. In addition to the measures listed above for mild tetanus:

Drugs such as diazepam or other muscle relaxants can be given to control the muscle spasms. In extreme cases it may be necessary to paralyze the patient with curare-like drugs and use a mechanical ventilator.

In order to survive a tetanus infection, the maintenance of an airway and proper nutrition are required. An intake of 3500-4000 calories, and at least 150 g of protein per day, is often given in liquid form through a tube directly into the stomach (Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy), or through a drip into a vein (Total parenteral nutrition). This high-caloric diet maintenance is required because of the increased metabolic strain brought on by the increased muscle activity. Full recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks because the body must regenerate destroyed nerve axon terminals.

By the time you get to seeing symptoms, it may be too late. It's a serious disease. Here's a bit from wikipedia on treatment options (if they even work):

Mortality rates reported vary from 48% to 73%. In recent years, approximately 11% of reported tetanus cases have been fatal. The highest mortality rates are in unvaccinated people and people over 60 years of age....

Severe tetanus

Severe cases will require admission to intensive care. In addition to the measures listed above for mild tetanus:

Drugs such as diazepam or other muscle relaxants can be given to control the muscle spasms. In extreme cases it may be necessary to paralyze the patient with curare-like drugs and use a mechanical ventilator.

In order to survive a tetanus infection, the maintenance of an airway and proper nutrition are required. An intake of 3500-4000 calories, and at least 150 g of protein per day, is often given in liquid form through a tube directly into the stomach (Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy), or through a drip into a vein (Total parenteral nutrition). This high-caloric diet maintenance is required because of the increased metabolic strain brought on by the increased muscle activity. Full recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks because the body must regenerate destroyed nerve axon terminals.

Yes, it's a HORRIBLE disease with a high potential for mortality. As a nurse, I've only seen two cases....one, an elderly farmer who had never been vaxed. He was injured by a stick from a barbed wire fence in his cow pasture. The second was a child, who had a puncture wound from running around barefoot. The farmer died, the child survived, but with severe brain damage from lack of oxygen during the disease. It is NOTHING to mess around with, and I can't stress enough the need to get the vaccination if your child is at risk from an injury. You are playing a very serious game with your child's life if you don't. And honestly, the vaccine is safe. The child will be FINE if he gets it. I wish I could say the same for not getting it.

I did the nail in the foot thing at age 11. Went right through my sneaker and halfway through my foot. (or, at least it felt like it!)

I would think the tetanus shot is preferable to tetanus. This would be one of those situations where you Just Do It.

Ideally, yes, it would be more personalized, and the MD would discuss every single vax decision in detail and come to a mutual decision with the patient, and not just have standard orders.

Looking at it from a practical perspective... no. It's neither legally required nor feasible for an MD to offer every patient a menu of all possible prescription options for every medication decision. And that's essentially what you're asking. The TDaP is the currently recommended vaccination on the CDC schedule. The MD has no good reason to offer anything else, in absence of contraindication in the patient's history.

Ethically, I agree with you - I'd think it would be better for the MD to to prescribe you Td if you're refusing the TDaP but willing to do Td. But neither of us know the whole story. Maybe they only have one dose of Td available, and know that it's a special order and will take 5 days before they can get more, and therefore want to save it for someone who has a known contraindication to the combined vax. Maybe they don't have Td in stock at all. Maybe it's a liability issue. Or maybe the MD just doesn't like having their decisions questioned.

Or maybe the nurse was just surprised by having someone request something different when 99% of the patients just go with what is offered without question, and badly phrased her legal obligation to go ask the doctor for a change in prescription.

(None of this is a judgement on you, btw. I'm a delayed/selective vaxer myself. It's just something I've been on both sides of, so I can understand something about the thought processes and legal issues involved.)

OK. :001_smile:

And honestly, the vaccine is safe. The child will be FINE if he gets it. I wish I could say the same for not getting it.

It is difficult for me to buy this when I read about the amount of mercury in the shot, especially when we have dealt with issues with this child from the age of around 2.

I am not flippantly playing with my child. I have been trying to rationally make a choice as to which is better for him.

No my Chiropractor doesn't give the shots. He did do some other things to help ds's body though and that is what we will go with. I know that Tetanus isn't anything to mess with. I also know that injecting mercury into a persons system isn't anything to mess with either. I will be watching him closely.

My son, 10.5 yrs old, just stepped on a rusty nail. It went in a

ways.UGH! The last shots he got were at about 21months. Any advice?

Would you take a chance and get him a booster for Tetanus? I don't want do get the vac. unless it is absolutely a must!

I would appreciate any and all input!

I want to thank everyone for responding. I did not intend for this to become a debate. I am sorry about that.

<gently> You asked for "any and all input" on a serious medical situation, and folks have been giving you just that. The folks who are coming across strongly have seen serious side effects from not treating tetanus with tried-and-true medical protocols, and they are worried for your son's life. In the case of tetanus, hours matter, and time lost on ineffective treatements could seriously impact your ds's health.

1.) You are woefully uninformed regarding the amount of mercury in the vaccine if you believe that is an issue.

2.) There is NOTHING a chiropractor can do to help with tetanus. I don't know which is more alarming - that the chiro thinks he can help, or that you do.

:iagree: WOEFULLY uninformed. And, getting terrible medical advice from someone who is in no way qualified to deal with tetanus. I pray your son is fine. Truly, I'm not trying to be mean or snarky. But I will tell you straight out that I think you are making the wrong decision. And you did ask for advice.

1.) You are woefully uninformed regarding the amount of mercury in the vaccine if you believe that is an issue.

2.) There is NOTHING a chiropractor can do to help with tetanus. I don't know which is more alarming - that the chiro thinks he can help, or that you do.

:iagree:

Sandy,

You're an awesome mom. I am sure many of us remember the terrible time your older son Richard had medically last summer and what a brave, wonderful advocate you were for him.

People here only want the best for your son who stepped on the nail and you and your whole family.

Please consider what everyone has said, knowing they have said it out of true love and concern.

:grouphug:

Would you consider calling his pediatrician and speaking with him about your concerns re the vaccine and the mercury?

Wow. :iagree:

Yes, it's a HORRIBLE disease with a high potential for mortality. As a nurse, I've only seen two cases....one, an elderly farmer who had never been vaxed. He was injured by a stick from a barbed wire fence in his cow pasture. The second was a child, who had a puncture wound from running around barefoot. The farmer died, the child survived, but with severe brain damage from lack of oxygen during the disease. It is NOTHING to mess around with, and I can't stress enough the need to get the vaccination if your child is at risk from an injury. You are playing a very serious game with your child's life if you don't. And honestly, the vaccine is safe. The child will be FINE if he gets it. I wish I could say the same for not getting it.

I have to say that greatly disagree with the bolded. My DH got a tetanus booster about 3 years ago (he works in the oilfield) and within 24 hours he developed lockjaw. He jaw ached and he couldn't open his mouth more than 1/2 inch for 6-8 months. So to say that the vaccine is safe and the child will be fine is not always true. I urge the OP to feel completely comfortable with any decision she makes.

I have to say that greatly disagree with the bolded. My DH got a tetanus booster about 3 years ago (he works in the oilfield) and within 24 hours he developed lockjaw. He jaw ached and he couldn't open his mouth more than 1/2 inch for 6-8 months. So to say that the vaccine is safe and the child will be fine is not always true. I urge the OP to feel completely comfortable with any decision she makes.
This must have been investigated? Was the vaccine defective, and if so was there a recall? The only way to get lockjaw would be if the toxin wasn't properly deactivated.

Mercury was removed from almost all vaccines in 2003. There are two brands of DTAP on the market that contain no mercury.......

Can you direct me to information that backs this up? I called our family Dr and they didn't know of the TP that I found that is supposed to be thimerosal free.

Sandy,

You're an awesome mom. I am sure many of us remember the terrible time your older son Richard had medically last summer and what a brave, wonderful advocate you were for him.

People here only want the best for your son who stepped on the nail and you and your whole family.

Please consider what everyone has said, knowing they have said it out of true love and concern.

:grouphug:

Would you consider calling his pediatrician and speaking with him about your concerns re the vaccine and the mercury?

Thanks. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I am now waiting for a call from our family Dr's nurse. She was going to check things out further for me.

I know that people are concerned as am I. That is why I asked. I don't think coming at some one as though they are a bad parent for the decision they make is the way to do it though.

We all operate from the knowledge we have. We have Dr. with our Chiropractor now for over 4 yrs and he has helped our family imensily. And yes there are things that can be done to help the body in these situations. It isn't a cure and neither he nor myself put it out as that. But with NAET treatments our body can handle many things that the medical field would give a drug for.

Again, thanks for your encouraging words.

Can you direct me to information that backs this up? I called our family Dr and they didn't know of the TP that I found that is supposed to be thimerosal free.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

Excerpt:

Two Td vaccines are also available in preservative-free formulations, Aventis Pasteur Inc's Decavac, and Aventis Pasteur, Ltd's Td vaccine. Also, Aventis Pasteur Inc's DT vaccine is now available only in a preservative-free formulation. These changes have been accomplished by reformulating products in single dose vials that do not contain a preservative.

FYI: Thimerosal is used as a preservative.

Your poor dh!!! He was lucky it wasn't worse!!!

Did he get the vaccine because he had an injury?

I've been reading the CDC info on tetanus. The CDC says there were only 18 cases of tetanus in 2009 - not clear whether that includes any that were side effects from the vaccine.

Your poor dh!!! He was lucky it wasn't worse!!!

Did he get the vaccine because he had an injury?

I've been reading the CDC info on tetanus. The CDC says there were only 18 cases of tetanus in 2009 - not clear whether that includes any that were side effects from the vaccine.

My husband was very lucky!! After about 2 years the pain went away and he had most mobility of his jaw back, but it took that long for most of the toxins to get out of his body!! No, he didn't have any injury, he works in the oilfield and it was just a booster.

The vaccine batch wasn't recalled and the doctor's office really didn't want to even touch the case. They said it was just a coincidence :confused: with no injury!?!

He cut his finger badly on a box cutter a couple of weeks ago and I quietly brought up getting a tetnus shot and he "politely" declined :D

Because of him and our son being an identical clone to his dad, my son doesn't get vaccinations either.

I'm an almost-no-vaxer, but we've always operated under the plan of doing the tetanus shot if that sort of injury occurs.

:iagree: We selectively/delay vax's. For us, the theoretical risk and severity of some diseases does not outweigh the risk of the vaccine itself.

BUT, we are not opposed at all to treating actual injuries or diseases in our children. If my child stepped on a rusty nail, the combined factors of the actual risk of contracting the disease and the severity of the disease itself, would now outweigh the potential risks of the vaccine. In this case, I would look at the vaccine as a preemptive treatment against a very high risk of contraction of a nasty disease.

I don't think coming at some one as though they are a bad parent for the decision they make is the way to do it though.

:iagree: A couple of responses were worded pretty insultingly, IMO.

Sandy is one of the *kindest* posters on these forums. She's also older than most of us, and had many more years of life experience - how about treating her with a little more kindness, with your knowledge to help her, as she sorts through what to do?

I pray for wisdom for you as you quickly gather knowledge, and for the best outcome for your son, Sandy.

My husband was very lucky!! After about 2 y

ears the pain went away and he had most mobility of his jaw back, but it took that long for most of the toxins to get out of his body!! No, he didn't have any injury, he works in the oilfield and it was just a booster.

The vaccine batch wasn't recalled and the doctor's office really didn't want to even touch the case. They said it was just a coincidence :confused: with no injury!?!

He cut his finger badly on a box cutter a couple of weeks ago and I quietly brought up getting a tetnus shot and he "politely" declined :D

Because of him and our son being an identical clone to his dad, my son doesn't get vaccinations either.

I'm glad to hear your husband is OK now; what a horrible thing to have gone through. It's a pity your doctor(s) didn't follow up though, I don't understand how it could be called "just a coincidence" without further investigation of the batch. I hope no one else was affected.

The The National Vaccine Information Center is a good place for accurate information on both sides. They discuss the vaccines and the disease, including the risks of both. You can also look at their pertussis page to get information about DPT, DPaT, etc.

I linked straight to the tetanus page. The disease information at this site is by no means understated, nor are the risks to vaccines. I don't vaccinate at all, but we do rethink our decision as our situation changes.

I'm glad to hear your husband is OK now; what a horrible thing to have gone through. It's a pity your doctor(s) didn't follow up though, I don't understand how it could be called "just a coincidence" without further investigation of the batch. I hope no one else was affected.

That's my main issue with the reported incidence of vaccine reactions. A lot of doctors seem to refuse to even investigate any possible reactions, calling them coincidences. :glare:

The The National Vaccine Information Center is a good place for accurate information on both sides. They discuss the vaccines and the disease, including the risks of both. You can also look at their pertussis page to get information about DPT, DPaT, etc.

I linked straight to the tetanus page. The disease information at this site is by no means understated, nor are the risks to vaccines. I don't vaccinate at all, but we do rethink our decision as our situation changes.

Barbara Loe Fisher's site? This is hardly impartial. They have, however, taken great pains to give it a "scientific" veneer.

Not to start an argument, but when we were thinking through our choices on various vaccines, one of the concerns that lead us to choose tetanus vaccination was that without the initial 3-part series, the only option in case of serious, high-tetanus risk injury would be the TIG - and the risks of plasma based vaccines are much more concerning to me than those of the regular tetanus vaccine.

...and at least the regular vaccine provides some ongoing protection. The TIG is passive rather than active protection and does not provide any *lasting* or ongoing immunity.

...but that was the risk/benefit calculus that *our* family ran based on our situation, our concerns, and our weighting of the individual factors!

Here is my situation (and I don't mean to steer away from the OP's questions).....my son just turned 16 (I have to change that in my signature). He only had all his baby shots (2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 13 months), not his 5 year old boosters. The one shot I think he really needs is the tetanus. He works with his dad and could easily get cut on junk. When I got my tetanus 2 weeks ago I asked the nurse (I had forgotten to ask my doctor) about bringing ds in for a tetanus shot. She said he'd probably have to have a well-child appointment. Jeeez. I guess, if that's absolutely necessary. But, he works all the time during the summer. I just wanted a quick...get-in-there-get-the-shot-get-out. He wouldn't normally be seen until probably December or later to refill his epi pens. Anyway...my point is.....I was considering waiting until his appointment in winter....but now I'm not so sure. What if something happens this summer? Would he have to get this TIG shot? I don't know what that is.....but the word plasma doesn't go over well with me. I'm thinkin' of leaving a message with Doc and seeing if he can just come in for the shot since he just saw her 6 months ago. She's pretty good with stuff like that. OK.....now another scenario. My youngest hasn't had any shots. What if something like this happens to her? Again....are we talking a TIG shot? Maybe she should start getting a Td series as well. I had thought I'd just do the shot if the situation requires it. Now...I just don't know.

Here is my situation (and I don't mean to steer away from the OP's questions).....my son just turned 16 (I have to change that in my signature). He only had all his baby shots (2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 13 months), not his 5 year old boosters. The one shot I think he really needs is the tetanus. He works with his dad and could easily get cut on junk. When I got my tetanus 2 weeks ago I asked the nurse (I had forgotten to ask my doctor) about bringing ds in for a tetanus shot. She said he'd probably have to have a well-child appointment. Jeeez. I guess, if that's absolutely necessary. But, he works all the time during the summer. I just wanted a quick...get-in-there-get-the-shot-get-out. He wouldn't normally be seen until probably December or later to refill his epi pens. Anyway...my point is.....I was considering waiting until his appointment in winter....but now I'm not so sure. What if something happens this summer? Would he have to get this TIG shot? I don't know what that is.....but the word plasma doesn't go over well with me. I'm thinkin' of leaving a message with Doc and seeing if he can just come in for the shot since he just saw her 6 months ago. She's pretty good with stuff like that. OK.....now another scenario. My youngest hasn't had any shots. What if something like this happens to her? Again....are we talking a TIG shot? Maybe she should start getting a Td series as well. I had thought I'd just do the shot if the situation requires it. Now...I just don't know.

You can get tetnus boosters at our pharmacy. Public Health will also give shots without a full exam. You might need to check around but often you can find other alternatives.

And honestly, the vaccine is safe. The child will be FINE if he gets it. I wish I could say the same for not getting it.

I wouldn't say the vaccine is automatically safe for everyone. From the CDC documentation on tetanus:

"Severe systemic reactions such as generalized urticaria(hives), anaphylaxis, or neurologic complications have beenreported after receipt of tetanus toxoid. A few cases ofperipheral neuropathy and Guillain-BarrĂƒÂ© syndrome (GBS)have been reported following tetanus toxoid administration.The Institute of Medicine has concluded that the availableevidence favors a causal relationship between tetanus toxoidand both brachial neuritis and GBS, although these reactionsare very rare."

I don't think it unreasonable to take these things into consideration when deciding on a course of action.

Your adolescent would be given the Tdap vaccine (not to be confused with the DTap...they are different) if you bring him in for a vaccination. Then a Td booster is recommended after that.

Someone who has never been vaccinated and is exposed to tetanus (or possible tetanus) would receive a tetanus shot (the doctor would determine which one would be the most effective) and the TIG to neutralize any tetanus toxin released by the bacteria.

I wouldn't say the vaccine is automatically safe for everyone. From the CDC documentation on tetanus:

"Severe systemic reactions such as generalized urticaria(hives), anaphylaxis, or neurologic complications have beenreported after receipt of tetanus toxoid. A few cases ofperipheral neuropathy and Guillain-BarrĂƒÂ© syndrome (GBS)have been reported following tetanus toxoid administration.The Institute of Medicine has concluded that the availableevidence favors a causal relationship between tetanus toxoidand both brachial neuritis and GBS, although these reactionsare very rare."

I don't think it unreasonable to take these things into consideration when deciding on a course of action.

Yes, but you need to weigh the possibility of a very rare side effect against the possibility of contracting an extremely serious, intensely painful, and often fatal disease.

In my book, there's no question that the vaccine is the best option. Others think differently, and that's certainly their choice to do so. I'm just providing the information I've received through my experience in pediatrics. Obviously, parents are free to do whatever they think is best for their child. And yes, I agree that parents need to be informed and weigh their options in every health decision they make on behalf of their child.

Your adolescent would be given the Tdap vaccine (not to be confused with the DTap...they are different) if you bring him in for a vaccination. Then a Td booster is recommended after that.

Someone who has never been vaccinated and is exposed to tetanus (or possible tetanus) would receive a tetanus shot (the doctor would determine which one would be the most effective) and the TIG to neutralize any tetanus toxin released by the bacteria.

Is there blood (plasma) in the TIG??

Yes, but you need to weigh the possibility of a very rare side effect against the possibility of contracting an extremely serious, intensely painful, and often fatal disease.

In my book, there's no question that the vaccine is the best option. Others think differently, and that's certainly their choice to do so. I'm just providing the information I've received through my experience in pediatrics. Obviously, parents are free to do whatever they think is best for their child. And yes, I agree that parents need to be informed and weigh their options in every health decision they make on behalf of their child.

I don't dispute that a parent needs to be informed of risks and weigh these decisions carefully. I just think it is inappropriate to say that the vaccine is safe and the child will be fine, especially when you are presenting yourself as a professional with experience on the matter. You can't possibly know that beyond a doubt, as evidenced by the vaccine inserts themselves, so your comment was misleading. These types of blanket statements that discount any risk make it very difficult for parents to make informed decisons.

:iagree: A couple of responses were worded pretty insultingly, IMO.

Sandy is one of the *kindest* posters on these forums. She's also older than most of us, and had many more years of life experience - how about treating her with a little more kindness, with your knowledge to help her, as she sorts through what to do?

I pray for wisdom for you as you quickly gather knowledge, and for the best outcome for your son, Sandy.

Thank you for your kind words.

I wanted to let everyone know that our Family Dr's office finally did get back to me and Dr said that he is ok without a booster. He had his shots about 8 1/2 yrs ago and should be ok.

I do appreciate all of you and your input. I guess I was so struggling with the decision. Several of you sent links that I had not found. Thank you for that. It was helpful.

I guess sometimes because my two are adopted I feel a bit more paranoid about whether I am doing what is right. I also think that the stress we have been under for the last year has fried some of my brain cells.:lol::lol: