Menu

Girl Scout Badges Discontinued?

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I know this group is a wealth of information. I just saw a list of the discontinued badges and realized it contained the entire book of Brownie Try-Its and Junior badges. Does anyone have information on this? What is replacing the books? Are they going to have similar badges or will it all be based on the Journey concept? I'm a little frustrated as I just bought the badge books a few months ago hoping to work with my dds on a few requirements this summer, and now it looks like everything is changing. I understand I can still get some of these patches if they're in stock, but I'm really curious what will be coming out this fall. Anyone have info. on this?

Looks like it might be more expensive, too. Old badges are usually $0.95. The set of three badges that make up one journey is $5.00. It's $15 for one journey book and facilitator guide (and they recommend each scout needs a copy of the journey book at $7).

Hmmm, I'm wondering how this is going to play out for Juliettes (independent girl scouts)?? They don't have a troop to work on the second 'circle' with.

The FAQ says there will still be some badges, but it was last updated in 2008! :lol:

Looks like a red-hot, touchy-feely mess.

We're just coming out of a very disappointing second year of Brownies with a very disinterested first year leader (dd's third in 3 years). I'm curious to hear about these new changes. Is there a website you could direct me to?

After the year we've had, adding more weird, disorganized, Girl Scout drama has me about ready to throw in the towel :glare:.

What is up with the Girl Scout program? I was a very active Girl Scout for many years (from Brownies into my teens) and now I've been involved in Boy/Cub Scouts for over 20 years. While Boy Scouts has its problems, it seems to be MUCH better run than Girl Scouts. Everyone assumes that now that I have a girl, I'll take my Scouting experience into Girl Scouts. Unfortunately, I don't have any interest in putting my daughter in Girl Scouts. I've looked at the current program and it's just not what I expected and remembered.:confused:

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I know this group is a wealth of information. I just saw a list of the discontinued badges and realized it contained the entire book of Brownie Try-Its and Junior badges. Does anyone have information on this? What is replacing the books? Are they going to have similar badges or will it all be based on the Journey concept? I'm a little frustrated as I just bought the badge books a few months ago hoping to work with my dds on a few requirements this summer, and now it looks like everything is changing. I understand I can still get some of these patches if they're in stock, but I'm really curious what will be coming out this fall. Anyone have info. on this?

There WILL BE a core of badges left, at least for the older girls. It will not be only the Journey stuff. I also heard there are changes coming to Journeys, too.

From the nat'l website:

For Girl Scout Cadettes, Seniors and Ambassadors

To pave the way for the launch of exciting new program resources in September 2011, Girl Scouts of the USA is currently scheduling the retirement of some resources, badges, and awards. Please check inventory first with your council shop and then, if necessary, with Girl Scout Merchandise (800-221-6707) as girls begin using materials or resources on this page.

My advice to you:

Pick out the Try-Its or Junior badges you want your DD to earn and BUY THEM NOW. Then, do the activities to earn them. You can technically use any of the old GS books and "earn" any of the old awards. There just might not be a badge left to buy! A scout can always wear old earned badges (at the appropritate level...you can't put a Try_It on your Ambassador sash!)

I hope this helps!

Hmmm... that's what I was afraid of. I just got a chance to go to the council shop this afternoon and they showed me a sheet they have for the new national program. It is indeed focused on the Journey programs. Each level has three Journey books and five additional badges that can be earned with each journey. The whole program is leaving me with a blah feeling. I agree that I'm not sure I like the way this program is going. It's so hard because I really like our troop and we are able to make it our own but still abide to the council guidelines. That may be a little harder now with less to choose from. I guess we may just have to do a lot more fun patches. I suppose I'll have to look at the program more when it comes out in October.

Unfortunately, I don't have any interest in putting my daughter in Girl Scouts. I've looked at the current program and it's just not what I expected and remembered.:confused:

If it is anything like here, they're trying too hard to be fashionable. I was involved for 17 years and I won't be putting my girl in either.

Rosie

What is up with the Girl Scout program? I was a very active Girl Scout for many years (from Brownies into my teens) and now I've been involved in Boy/Cub Scouts for over 20 years. While Boy Scouts has its problems, it seems to be MUCH better run than Girl Scouts. Everyone assumes that now that I have a girl, I'll take my Scouting experience into Girl Scouts. Unfortunately, I don't have any interest in putting my daughter in Girl Scouts. I've looked at the current program and it's just not what I expected and remembered.:confused:

I have no idea, but I've spoken out on other scouting threads here that Cub Scouts is incomparable to Girl Scouts. Cub Scouts is SO much better run. I have been nothing but pleased with my son's Pack. He's actually camping and becoming a Boy Scout tomorrow! He's had the same leadership his entire time in scouts, while my daughter will have a 4th leader next fall.....if we decide to continue.

While searching for information on the new Journeys program, I stumbled across this blog post: Hating the Girl Scouts: Why so much anger at the Girl Scouts. I'm still reading through the comments, because I'm finding them more interesting than the actual post. So many people with the same experience I've had with my own daughter. The inability to find a troop for your child because you have to make a dozen calls to council, the mountains of paperwork, and the money they constantly expect. I co-led my daughter's troop this year because I was begged to (actually did 75% of the leadership since their leader decided before she even started that she "really didn't want to do it" :glare:). I couldn't believe the number of "trainings" and fees they were charging!

In any event, I find it interesting that the issues that I thought were local are actually par for the course for the organization. It's not what I remember as a Girl Scout. The whole Journey curricula is unappealing to me, and when I showed my daughter, she rolled her eyes at the things listed for badges like "make a playlist of music to get you in the mood to change the world" :001_rolleyes:.

Jeepers, dd11 is a rising Cadette. I am so disappointed--she loves doing badge work!

Dd16 is working on her Gold Award. Her troop members apparently are grandfathered into the old Senior program (can we call them Seniors? did they get rid of that stupid Studio2B thing?). She goes to Council with her proposal in September...

We have been told at our leader meetings that GSUSA is rolling out a new binder-type deal in September. They say it will stay with a girl from Daisy to Ambassador, and girls can add things in to personalize it. Supposedly it is different than the Journeys. The name is escaping me right now.

I really wish we could preview it, because it is going to be an option alongside the Journey....an either or kind of situation. As far as I know, though, it is not yet available to see.

Don't get me started on the required training and the paperwork. I don't understand why we can't do more stuff online.

I was just up at the GS Store and the books are not coming out till the end of Sept. Guess the "be prepared" part of the GS Law does not apply to the leaders.

Thats why my daughter is in American Heritage Girls...much more like Cub/Boy Scouts...badges, camping and all the fun ...with none of the cookies :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: We ditched GS for many of the reasons stated in other posts. After having one in BSA and one in AHG, I would quit scouting before returning to GS.

The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting. That is what the new binder thing is called. This link discusses it and how it works with the existing Journeys.

http://www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org/docs/npp/GGGS%20FAQs_GSMH.pdf

That is a great resource, ravinlunachick!

That states there will still be badges at all levels and it recommends if you are interested in a current badge, get it now. (It's nice to hear what I wrote confirmed. :D)

You know what really irritates me? I'm my daughter's troop leader. I just took my Brownie training (we've been a Daisy troop, but bridge to Brownie this fall) a few months ago. They said NOTHING about any of this changing for the next year. This is the first I'd heard about it! Why does everything with GS have to be so poorly done?!?!

The whole program is leaving me with a blah feeling. I agree that I'm not sure I like the way this program is going. It's so hard because I really like our troop and we are able to make it our own but still abide to the council guidelines. That may be a little harder now with less to choose from. I guess we may just have to do a lot more fun patches. I suppose I'll have to look at the program more when it comes out in October.

This is exactly the way I am feeling, Jennifer. I do not like the idea of basing a program on these Journey books and had hoped that our troop could continue to work with the badge programs. This new development is SO disappointing!

Lynne

Thats why my daughter is in American Heritage Girls...much more like Cub/Boy Scouts...badges, camping and all the fun ...with none of the cookies :)

Girl Scouts does still have badges, camping, and fun.

My DD does still do all that. The leaders are as frustrated w/the program changes as the parents. In many cases, leaders are the parents!

I am happy AHG works for your family. It wouldn't work for all religions so it isn't the answer for all the girls & families for whom GS is not working.

That is a great resource, ravinlunachick!

That states there will still be badges at all levels and it recommends if you are interested in a current badge, get it now. (It's nice to hear what I wrote confirmed. :D)

I'm glad you found it useful! I know I sure did; our council has been much less than helpful when it comes to this issue.

I also found this youtube video, where you can see the new guide and get a better idea for how it will look. We were told it would be in a binder, but the video makes it seem as though it will be a bound book. I guess we will see in a few months who is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ouudYeuHk

You know what really irritates me? I'm my daughter's troop leader. I just took my Brownie training (we've been a Daisy troop, but bridge to Brownie this fall) a few months ago. They said NOTHING about any of this changing for the next year. This is the first I'd heard about it! Why does everything with GS have to be so poorly done?!?!

I don't know. Did they train you with all the old materials?

That's just bizarre!

I'm sorry!

I was the Brownie leader last year, and I heard nothing about this, either! One mom accidentally found out a few months ago that *some* badges would be discontinued. We actually had a list of those discontinued badges, and the list was fairly small. Today is the first time I've heard that all of the current badges will be discontinued. I had wondered if I was the only leader who had missed this . . .

Lynne

They have been mentioning it, as an aside, at our leader meetings and other training for a few months now. Mostly, what we have heard has been, "Oh, and this new Girl's Guide is coming in September, but we don't really know anything about it, so just keep your eyes open in September. You will hear more about it then."

Real helpful stuff.

I don't know. Did they train you with all the old materials?

That's just bizarre!

I'm sorry!

Yes! We had to buy all the old handbooks and materials. Which really irritates me that I spent the money to buy the materials and the time to go to the class when we're apparently not even going to be using them this fall and nothing they told us about earning the Try-Its will matter for the fall.

Don't apologize though; it's certainly not your fault! I'm just glad I heard it now so I can figure out what we're doing this next year and try to buy the Try-Its now...but then what happens if we have other girls join our troop mid-year? UGH.

Yes! We had to buy all the old handbooks and materials. Which really irritates me that I spent the money to buy the materials and the time to go to the class when we're apparently not even going to be using them this fall and nothing they told us about earning the Try-Its will matter for the fall.

Don't apologize though; it's certainly not your fault! I'm just glad I heard it now so I can figure out what we're doing this next year and try to buy the Try-Its now...but then what happens if we have other girls join our troop mid-year? UGH.

It's a "I'm sorry you're dealing with this" sorry!

I'd buy enough try-its to get you thru the first few months. I know you don't know how many girls but I wouldn't plan your whole year around the old try-its, KWIM? Maybe buy a few extra try-its in case other girls join after Sept.

For example: Plan to earn 4 try-its thur Dec. and buy 2 or 3 more of each try-it than girls you have now. And hand the try-its out as you earn them. DOn't wait until an award day or anything.

They explicitly talked about it in our April service unit meeting. The current books are around 11 years old, and they have a history of updating the program about every 10 years, so it's not unexpected. I also intensely dislike the Journeys and am modifying one for my troop now just so they can get it out of the way (since it will be required for Bronze next year, no other option). I have to admit that I'm dropping as a leader now that my daughter is going into Cadettes.

Agreed---buy the badges you want now. I was told at our store last month that there were already a couple of the Brownie tryits no longer available anywhere. Look at earned patches and fun patches. Search on "Girl Scouts Council's Own" for badges and tryits put together by various councils around the country (they aren't tied to the badge books). Usually girls from anywhere can earn them and order the badge itself from that council. Unfortunately, some of those have gone away because of the amount of merging of councils that's been happening over the last two years across the country.

Dd16 is working on her Gold Award. Her troop members apparently are grandfathered into the old Senior program (can we call them Seniors? did they get rid of that stupid Studio2B thing?). She goes to Council with her proposal in September...

I recommend she go to Council with her proposal in August at the latest. Our Council wants "the majority" of the project done before the Sep 30 deadline, or the girl has to use the new format. They also rejected dd's proposal for nit-picky changes, which made it take another month. If someone at Council wants to push the new format, all they have to do is have questions on your dd's proposal and BAM! she's past the deadline and has to do the whole thing over in the new format.

Dd (barely a Senior) is doing her Gold Award ASAP, to avoid the Journeys.

Agreeing with everyone who says to buy the badges you want to do now.

I recommend she go to Council with her proposal in August at the latest. Our Council wants "the majority" of the project done before the Sep 30 deadline, or the girl has to use the new format. They also rejected dd's proposal for nit-picky changes, which made it take another month. If someone at Council wants to push the new format, all they have to do is have questions on your dd's proposal and BAM! she's past the deadline and has to do the whole thing over in the new format.

Dd (barely a Senior) is doing her Gold Award ASAP, to avoid the Journeys.

Agreeing with everyone who says to buy the badges you want to do now.

It's funny. I've got so much to do today but I wanted to check this thread and you just posted.

Good luck to your DD! My DD & I will keep her in our thoughts!

My DD earned her Bronze award under the oldest rules with leadership hours, badges & a project. She earned her Silver award under the Studio 2B rules. Hopefully she will be successful with her Gold project and earn the award under the new Journeys. :tongue_smilie: She is almost done with a Journey and is going to start with the project this summer.

Thanks for the Youtube video link, ravinlunachick. It was VERY informative and made me feel a little better about the program. Looks like there will be more to do than just the journeys. I'm more curious than ever to see those books in person.

Based on the Youtube video, I think that the interactive design and graphics of the new books seem engaging. The design is very colorful and seems to be something that dds would enjoy.

My concern is that the tone and focus of the new books and badges will mirror the Journeys I've previewed. We were able to avoid all of that by using the existing badge books, but that option will no longer be available. I also think that this new program will be much more expensive for us because we won't be able to pass down the badge books from girl to girl. It appears that each child will need her own book for each level.

It will be interesting to see the new books in person.

I wonder if this transition is the reason that our council pushed the "early registration" so strongly this spring. Maybe they were concerned that people would balk at these changes and the late implementation of them. Girl Scouts really should make the old badges available for another year while everyone figures out the new program, and then they could transition during the 2012-13 year.

In the fall The Girls Guide to Girl Scouting will be coming out. It will complete the program that GS launched a couple of years ago with the Journeys program. Journeys is the leadership component and The Girls Guide is the badge component.

I personally am excited about this new program. The Try-It, Badge, and Interest Project books have become dated and a rework was definitely needed. The Interest Projects program actually covered Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors. Many of the projects were far too much for a 6th graders. As the The Girls Guide will be published for each level, they will definitely be more appropriate for all levels.

I realize that there have been mixed reviews on the Journeys program. I have lead three which ranged between average to outstanding. The last one, aMAZE!, I did with my daughter and 3 friends had wonderful results. They enjoyed the sharing and the learning outlined in the book but they loved the extra's that the program suggested. We did a yoga class, movie nights, and a bowling awards ceremony.

The advantage to the Journeys program is that it makes preparing for the higher awards, Bronze, Silver and Gold, clearer and easier. All you have to do is complete a Journey or two and you can start your higher award project. Previous to Journeys multiple badges, leadership activities and similar were required prior to starting the higher award project.

My experience with Girl Scouts is that having a good leader is nice but not necessary. My oldest daughter is having a wonderful Girl Scout experience while her leaders are poor at the best. I am filling in the gaps where I can and looking to other troops, service units and the council to do the rest. The Girl Scout program is always looking for enthusiastic, energetic, engaged girls especially if there is a parent who will pitch in. I have done a variety of trainings (First Aid, CPR, Camping, and Cadette) so that I can better help out. The trainings have required some time and a bit of money but the payback has be great. My girls have been able to participate in many more programs because I was able to provide the activity with a person with the training that I had.

I hope that you continue to explore the Girl Scout program.

The advantage to the Journeys program is that it makes preparing for the higher awards, Bronze, Silver and Gold, clearer and easier. All you have to do is complete a Journey or two and you can start your higher award project. Previous to Journeys multiple badges, leadership activities and similar were required prior to starting the higher award project.

My dds aren't old enough to have earned these higher awards yet, so I am looking to understand how this is an advantage. Clear expectations are good -- maybe that didn't exist before and is an improvement. It is always good to clarify requirements.

However, I like the way you describe the older GS program. It seems that it required more of the girls prior to starting the higher awards. Boy Scouts is very structured in this way, and when a boy earns his Eagle Scout award, you know that it really means something, and it means that he was committed to Scouting for several years. It's not something that he can earn after doing activities from a few books and being in Scouts for a short period of time.

If I am misunderstanding something regarding the GS requirements for the higher awards, I apologize. Everything I am reading, though, seems to indicate that earning the higher awards is "easier." I don't necessarily see that as a good thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding what is meant by the word "easier." I am just looking for information here so that I understand how the new requirements will change things. We have spent the past year trying to determine if this program is a good long-term fit for our family, and I am still confused regarding the requirements for the higher awards. Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Lynne

My dds aren't old enough to have earned these higher awards yet, so I am looking to understand how this is an advantage. Clear expectations are good -- maybe that didn't exist before and is an improvement. It is always good to clarify requirements.

However, I like the way you describe the older GS program. It seems that it required more of the girls prior to starting the higher awards. Boy Scouts is very structured in this way, and when a boy earns his Eagle Scout award, you know that it really means something, and it means that he was committed to Scouting for several years. It's not something that he can earn after doing activities from a few books and being in Scouts for a short period of time.

If I am misunderstanding something regarding the GS requirements for the higher awards, I apologize. Everything I am reading, though, seems to indicate that earning the higher awards is "easier." I don't necessarily see that as a good thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding what is meant by the word "easier." I am just looking for information here so that I understand how the new requirements will change things. We have spent the past year trying to determine if this program is a good long-term fit for our family, and I am still confused regarding the requirements for the higher awards. Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Lynne

:bigear:

We're in the same boat.

I'll preface this with the fact that, yes, I have a gripe against Girl Scouts.

Our girls were in Girl Scouts from the age of 4 until just a year or so ago. I was a leader or co-leader most of that time. IMO, the program is going down the toilet. They seem to be taking everything my girls loved about Girl Scouts and replacing it with touchy-feely, lets talk about this issue type programs that they hate. The Journey books are horrible for my very un-girlie girls. It would have been akin to torture to make them work through them for badges. I would love to see them bring back a much more hands on program, and leave out all the group counseling style stuff.

Also, it seems like the organization itself has put a huge focus on making money for Girl Scouts. Being a leader (a VOLUNTEER position) has been made more and more difficult to do. The push to sell nuts and cookies was HUGE. The bank account rules bordered on ridiculous. The hoops to jump through are unreal, and many leaders are dropping out.

I miss the old Girl Scout program.

The prerequisites for the higher awards are fewer, less complicated and can be quite easy or as difficult as the previous depending on the girl and the leader. Though it is possible for a girl to drop into Girl Scouts and earn a higher award in a year or two, that most likely won't happen. The award itself takes a lot of work. The Bronze Award project must be a minimum of 15 hours, Silver 30, and Gold 50. These projects are to be outside of Girl Scouts with the girl making community connections, identifying a need, building a team, organizing a plan, and executing a project.

It may not be obvious but the Journeys and the new program are a progression with each level building upon the one before. The younger girls are introduced to concepts and terms which they will see again and use at a higher level. For example, there is a cooking badge in The Girls Guide. For Daisies they learn basic cooking skills. At higher levels they learn to cook basic dishes, then meals, and finally host dinner parties.

As for those non-girly girls, it might be beneficial to look at the "It's Your World, Change It" Journeys. They have an environmental bent. Or perhap Journeys are not for them and you spend all of your time camping, ziplining, repelling, and canoeing.

I feel that Girl Scouts is so much more than the higher awards. Yesterday I was with a group of 9 and 10 year olds who were repelling. Repelling is one of the Challenge activities offered by our council and is an Activity of Choice. An Activity of Choice means that the girl decides how far they are comfortable in going in the Activity. For repelling that can mean that they are only comfortable watching or perhaps they will put on a helmut and help with the ground crew or maybe they will put on a helmet and harness and climb the tower and then come down or go to the top get hooked up but decide not the repell or choose to repell on one of two ways. Each girl is supported in their decision no matter what it is. At the end of repelling the activity was concluded in a conversation about how well each one made a decision that they were comfortable with and how they can take this decision-making skill into other aspects of their life.

One of the lesser known aspects of the Journeys program is the ability for older girls to earn a badge helping a younger troop with their Journey. The leadership opportunities that my girls had have really been beneficial and they are making wonderful contacts for the future.

Change is always hard.

Based on the Youtube video, I think that the interactive design and graphics of the new books seem engaging. The design is very colorful and seems to be something that dds would enjoy.

I hope they are not as frenetic and disjointed as the Journey books, which I found almost incomprehensible (at least in terms of what one actually needed to do to earn the award).

I wonder if this transition is the reason that our council pushed the "early registration" so strongly this spring. Maybe they were concerned that people would balk at these changes and the late implementation of them. Girl Scouts really should make the old badges available for another year while everyone figures out the new program, and then they could transition during the 2012-13 year.

Agreed, but they don't listen to me;). Our council pushes early registration because they get a monetary incentive for each girl that registers earlybird (and it helps plan for the next year). Whoever decided the GS year should run from Oct-Sept :confused:.....makes no sense to me. Half the year is gone for a new troop before they can barely get started.

The prerequisites for the higher awards are fewer, less complicated and can be quite easy or as difficult as the previous depending on the girl and the leader. Though it is possible for a girl to drop into Girl Scouts and earn a higher award in a year or two, that most likely won't happen. The award itself takes a lot of work. The Bronze Award project must be a minimum of 15 hours, Silver 30, and Gold 50. These projects are to be outside of Girl Scouts with the girl making community connections, identifying a need, building a team, organizing a plan, and executing a project.

Not according to my council:

Fulfilling the requirements for the Girl Scout Gold Award starts with completing two Girl Scout Senior or Ambassador Journeys, or having earned the Silver Award and completing one Senior or Ambassador journey. Each journey you complete gives you the skills you need to plan and implement your Take Action project. After you have fulfilled the journey(s) requirement, 80 hours is the suggested minimum hours for the steps: identifying an issue, investigating it thoroughly, getting help and building a team, creating a plan, presenting your plan, gathering feedback, taking action, and educating and inspiring others.

Each Journey also includes a Take Action project. IOW, in order to get your Gold Award you will have to do THREE projects now, not just one.

Thanks for the correction. I had my facts wrong with regards to the number of hours. Each Journey requires a Take Action project. To get a Gold you either have to get a Silver and complete a Senior/Ambassador Journey or complete two Senior/Ambassador Journeys.

My oldest is just finishing up her Journey Book for her Bronze. She dislikes the book but it's a requirement. The first leader picked it out for all girls to do but she is the only girl in the troop who is working on her Bronze. None of the other girls have that much interest than just doing the fun stuff to where my DD does lots of community work and I do let her have time during the day to earn her badges.

I just became co leader to the leader now. She's a first time leader and the same for me this fall. We knew about the Journey books but not about not having the badges anymore. We are a troop of mostly cadettes in the fall with one or two jrs. my youngest will be a daisy again.

on the parent level my daisy's book was fun to do buy my daughter's journey book made me think a little on some stuff. I really liked the jr.s badge book, i actually used their ideas for some badges in our schooling.

I'm going to go through the GS leader training this summer (DD will be a Daisy). Reading this thread as well as the linked blog post/comments has me a bit concerned. I loved doing the badges, and I hope that there is still flexibility in being able to do hands-on work. I am not a rainbows and sunshine touchy person, and forced personal introspection always bugs me. How bad is this new aspect going to be? I do hope my mom can find my old brownie/jr/cadette badge books. I would love to see how different it is now from when I was girl.