Menu

What would cause a feeling of something being stuck in your throat?

My 14-year-old has been complaining for days that her throat feels as though something is stuck in it. It's painful for her to swallow. She's on two different antibiotics for Lyme Disease, and the pills are large, but I can't imagine that they would stick in her throat and not dissolve. She has a (very) slightly elevated thyroid level which has remained stable for about six months. She doesn't think that anyone has grabbed her near the throat and injured her.

What would cause this? She's drinking lots of liquids, but that isn't helping.

My 14-year-old has been complaining for days that her throat feels as though something is stuck in it. It's painful for her to swallow. She's on two different antibiotics for Lyme Disease, and the pills are large, but I can't imagine that they would stick in her throat and not dissolve. She has a (very) slightly elevated thyroid level which has remained stable for about six months. She doesn't think that anyone has grabbed her near the throat and injured her.

What would cause this? She's drinking lots of liquids, but that isn't helping.

Pill esophagitis? It's especially common with tetracycline and doxycycline. The pill gets stuck, and irritates the lining of the esophagitis. The pill dissolves or dislodges, but the irritation (basically a burn) can take days to heal.

Gerd can cause that feeling also.

Edited by Perry

This happened to my dd (along with a few others). She said something was stuck in her throat, and she was always trying to clear it. She swallowed, cleared her throat, and coughed a lot. She also said if felt like her throat was squeezing and I thought she was having allergic reactions. Sometimes she would get a stomach ache and vomit. I took her to an ENT, and she was diagnosed with acid reflux. He started her on medication, and it went away.

IMO, it could be one of a few possibilities (most have been listed). I would take her to an ENT.

ETA: LOL, I meant "This (along with a few other symptoms) happened to my dd! Not that it happened to my dd along with a few other people!

Edited by Jinnah

Have her eat something heavy immediately after swallowing the pills. I always feel that sensation with all but the smallest of pills so I find something quick and easy to eat after...a few tortilla chips, several nuts, a cookie, etc. I keeps it from happening after swallowing pills.

If that doesn't do it, check into GERD, especially if it's an issue when she's not on meds. If it gets worse, consider allergic reactions also. That's my primary reaction to the antibiotic I'm allergic to, only it feels like a golf ball is stuck in there rather than something small. (I know it's an allergic reaction because it my skin comes in contact with the liquid version of the medicine I break out in hives.)

Pill esophagitis? It's especially common with tetracycline and doxycycline. The pill gets stuck, and irritates the lining of the esophagitis. The pill dissolves or dislodges, but the irritation (basically a burn) can take days to heal.

I was just going to post the same thing (although I didn't know it had a name). This happened to me if I took my doxy right before going to bed. I'd wake up in the morning feeling like the pill was still there even though it wasn't. It would last a few days and was annoying and uncomfortable.

Two things. One is that certain antibiotics CAN cause strictures/ulceration/etc if they get stuck,or if she doesn't wash it down all the way. I want to say docy is one of them, which is a lyme med. So look into that.

More commonly it could be esophogeal spasms. Acid reflux can cause that. It feels like a pill stuck in your throat, and it is hard to swallow. I tell people it feels like swallowing an icecube by accident.