Menu

Reviews for Expedition Earth??

kandty

We use it and we like it. I tweak it a lot (we are a secular family). I supplement with Galloping the Globe notebooking pages, literature suggestions and lapbook as well as several children's atlases. I think it's perfect for K-2 ages.

Edited by Cindyz

I decided to go ahead and buy it since it is only $15. Took a quick look and it looks great. I have almost all the spines for it already, so this was a plus! I am getting ready to print it out. I have to have the paper in my hand as I get lost looking online at a "book". ;) My plan is to do it with my second grader, but not 100% sure yet. It looks very similiar to MFW ECC. I was considering doing that and bought all the books for that used and this program uses a lot of them. Glad that I will get to use those books.

:iagree: I am also looking at using this next year instead of MFW-ECC. It is much cheaper and looks like pretty much the same thing, but simpiler.

I know! I really was just going to use MFW-ECC for geography, so $90 for the TM plus the student sheets would have been a lot for not using it all. I won't be starting it till August 1st, but I hopefully will remember to post about it.

We've just started with it. I'm very happy with the purchase, though I'm tweaking significantly. I did an around-the-world thing with my oldest when she was in K, and it was wonderful. We spent a month in each country (she chose which country to visit next), and the main focus was reading stories from and about the country. Since my youngest-for-now is starting K, I wanted to do it again, but I wanted a little extra hand-holding since I'll be doing 2nd grade and have a new baby, too. :D

We're going to go at a quicker pace than before, but there's no way we'll do 1 country per week. Honestly, we'll probably gloss over some of the countries while delving deeper into others. I'm not entirely sure I like sticking with the continents all at once, simply because that makes the stories run together a bit. At the moment, we've covered China and started Korea, and as I'm looking at all the books we have for Japan, which would be next, I'm getting a little confused! But that's probably just my quirk since we're adding sooooo much reading. Really, I'm using the program for the schedule (which as I've said, I may ditch), the flags for coloring, the craft ideas, and the passports. Yes, I could pull all of that together myself, but for $15, this is a steal!

Anyway, I am super, duper impressed with how thorough the program is, and if I didn't already have my own ideas, I'd use it mostly as is. I'm seriously considering taking a break from our history rotation either next year or the following in order to use her new states study program to give my younger daughter a little extra time before we hit SotW4.

HTH a bit!

We're going to go at a quicker pace than before, but there's no way we'll do 1 country per week. Honestly, we'll probably gloss over some of the countries while delving deeper into others. I'm not entirely sure I like sticking with the continents all at once, simply because that makes the stories run together a bit. At the moment, we've covered China and started Korea, and as I'm looking at all the books we have for Japan, which would be next, I'm getting a little confused! But that's probably just my quirk since we're adding sooooo much reading. Really, I'm using the program for the schedule (which as I've said, I may ditch), the flags for coloring, the craft ideas, and the passports. Yes, I could pull all of that together myself, but for $15, this is a steal!

Anyway, I am super, duper impressed with how thorough the program is, and if I didn't already have my own ideas, I'd use it mostly as is. I'm seriously considering taking a break from our history rotation either next year or the following in order to use her new states study program to give my younger daughter a little extra time before we hit SotW4.

HTH a bit!

Very helpful! I just went through page by page and it is the most thorough program I have ever seen!! And I like that. :D It looks like it would move fast for a K. Mine will be second, but we may skip some countries and slow down the pace. It is also a 5 day a week program and I think we will do 4. It's also 32 week program so I have an extra 4 weeks to stretch out if needed.

• 3 months later...

I promised an update once we used this program for a while, and here it is. Why am I so hard to please!!?? This program looked awesome, but we are struggling with it. I just feel overwhelmed with it and I can't seem to stay organized and so then it doesn't get done. I still think it is a great program, but I think we just don't have the time to put into it that it takes.

It is a 5 day program and I really only have time for 2 days. I am also struggling with using so many different books. It makes me dizzy! :lol: The Usborne Geography book and living encylopedia are not a good fit for us. We have cut those books out. We were struggling with the animals study too. No resources on the animals. We cut that part out too.

We have decided to cut several countries out and do one country for 3 weeks (about 5 days total for a half hour each). Using more books from the library has been a better approach for us. We are enjoying the National Geography website and find videos to watch. The list of books for each country has been helpful too.

I would love to hear how others are using the program.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to like it...and actually do it....yet, it just seemed like there was too much! First, I didn't want to do it 5xs a week. Second, I felt like I was constantly 'needing' or 'forgetting' something. Totally my fault, not the programs. It just didn't work out for us....and I'm still on the hunt for something that suits us better:)

For those doing their own thing or wanting to expand - in addition to National Geographic and Nat Geo kids, you should check out Time for Kids - Around the World. They have a bunch of countries listed and for each one there is information on landmarks, customs and the chance to listen to words spoken in the native language.

Thanks for this link!

We are using EE with MFW ECC and it is working out great. EE touches on some things that ECC does not and vise versa. I love them both. My kids LOVE animals so EE has been a fun addition. :)

I may have asked you this before; I know I asked someone. How are you doing this? I got both as well but I'm not sure how to integrate them.

I wanted to like it...and actually do it....yet, it just seemed like there was too much! First, I didn't want to do it 5xs a week. Second, I felt like I was constantly 'needing' or 'forgetting' something. Totally my fault, not the programs. It just didn't work out for us....and I'm still on the hunt for something that suits us better:)

This! We do still use it here and there, and I do love it...but I found that it still took a LOT of prep work for me and it would just get set aside. It's a good program, but it does take effort IMO to make it really worthwhile. The weeks that I spent more time prepping were the weeks that we enjoyed it the most. I just couldn't keep up that momentum, TBH. Sad too, b/c I really do love it!

For EE I printed all of the worksheets off right from the start. I had them bound into notebooks for each kiddo. I also had the TM bound. Our focus is ECC but I pull anything interesting I can from EE. She has some great links listed and the kids have really enjoyed them. They also love the animal wall too. I think using them together is totally doable. Next year we are going to use MFW 1850 to modern times along with her Road Trip USA. :) I don't make myself do everything from both but having both to pull from has been great.