Menu

Need a meat-free potluck dish to pass

We call this "Mexican lasagne."

Use corn tortillas in place of the noodles, and layer in a dish seasoned black beans, rice, corn niblets, cheddar cheese. I mix tomato paste and salsa to use for the sauce.

It's usually popular.

Or you could do something like a bowl of hummus with pita chips and veggies for dipping.

three-bean salad, caprese salad, vegetarian chili, roasted veggies, bruschetta, noodle or tomato soup, rice and beans - so many combinations, but I've found that mujadrah has always been a big hit with veg*ns and meat-eaters alike. I like celery bits in mine, and my husband likes sour cream atop his. It can be a main dish OR a side.

Side dishes: sauteed bell peppers and onions, maybe with some tomato chunks; sauteed snap peas with red bell pepper; sauteed carrot medallions with honey and sesame seeds; haricot verts with garlic; lots of veggie side dish options.

I recently made a vegetarian version of a "patio beans" dish that was a hit at our potluck. It's fairly easy to prepare which is what I'm all about for a potluck dish. :-)

1 lb. can baked beans (vegetarian) *Do Not Drain*

1/4 lb. sharp diced Cheddar Cheese

1/3 c. ketchup

Parmesan cheese, grated for top

1 med. onion, chopped

1 lb. can red kidney beans, drained

1 lb. can lima beans, drained

1/2 c. brown sugar

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Saute onion (I use butter but I'm sure oil is fine too). Combine beans, cheese, brown sugar, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in onion. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through and bubbly. 30 - 40 min.

Jicama sticks--chewy, filling, and vegetarian.

Get a couple of big jicamas. Peel them. Cut them into wide sticks, about an inch square by 3-4 inches long. Lay they out in a quiche pan. Squeeze lime juice all over them. Then take a lime, an orange, and a lemon and wash the skins very thoroughly. Cut them into wedges. Put these in between the jicama sticks in the bowl, skin side up. Very dramatic looking against the pale whiteish jicama, and people can squeeze some more citrus juice onto the jicama if they want to.

I second quiche, baked beans, or my usual, Corn Pie:

2 sticks of butter softened

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 box jiffy corn mix

1 8oz container sour cream

2 graham cracker crusts

Mix everything together, and pour into the two pie crusts. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about an hour, give or take. It should be lightly browned on the edges and fairly solid. Serve warm or room temperature. Everyone LOVES it.

I often take this to potlucks and it's usually one of the very first things gone. I think that people appreciate something a little lighter amongst all of the typical heavier cheese and potato dishes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jamies-Cranberry-Spinach-Salad/Detail.aspx

You can buy a big tub of baby spinach for under $4 at Sam's Club. I make it up in a couple of huge bowls, bring the dressing in a jar to toss right before it's time to eat, and a couple pair of tongs. Super easy and good.

Edited by Wabi Sabi
Oops. Tongs, not tongues. ;-)

Potluck Potatoes (these always get raves.... I use real butter...)

• <LI class=ingredient sizcache="41" sizset="74">1/2 cup
margarine, melted <LI class=ingredient sizcache="41" sizset="79">1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup <LI class=ingredient sizcache="41" sizset="84">1 tablespoon onion, minced <LI class=ingredient sizcache="41" sizset="89">2 cups cheddar cheese, grated <LI class=ingredient sizcache="41" sizset="94">12 ounces sour cream
2 lbs hash browns Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 1 1/4 hr

1. 1 Mix all ingredients together.
  2. 2 Put mixture in a greased 13 x 9 pan.
  3. 3 Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.

1. ? Have a question about this recipe? Ask the community

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/potluck-potatoes-257150#ixzz1Oh8amaBB

Pasta Salad

Cook spiral noodles (or penne or any other somewhat large noodle)

Lightly steam: broccoli floret, carrot slices

chopped bell peppers (green and red add nice color)

Sliced olives

Chopped marinated artichoke hearts

Dressing: Italian Salad dressing is good, but our favorite is mixing the marinade from the artichoke hearts with some mayonnaise till it is a good dressing consistency, then adding a bit of curry powder.

Tortellini Skewers

Cook cheese tortellini, cool

On each short skewer, thread:

1 basil leaf

1 fresh, small mozzarella ball (or chunk if you need to slice it)

1 grape tomato

1 tortellini

1 black olive

Then drizzle all the skewers in basil pesto and let them marinate for a couple hours. They are really pretty, and taste wonderful!

A big bowl of cut up fruit or plain vegetables (green beans, corn, peas and carrots, peas and pearl onions, etc).

If you ever need a vegan dessert, google "wacky cake." It's made with no animal products--uses vinegar and baking soda for leavening. It usually comes out very fudgy for me and it quite popular. Most recipes are for 8x8 pans, but I double it and make it in a 9x13 pan.

Edited by KarenNC

I got this recipe off of the Duggars website and make it all the time:

Broccoli Casserole

3/4 lb. Velveetaâ„¢ cheese, cubed

2 small boxes frozen chopped broccoli

1 cup cooked minute or brown rice

1 onion, chopped

1 stick butter

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup milk

Saute onions in butter. Cook broccoli as package directs,

drain. Cook rice, combine all ingredients; pour into 9x13 in.

dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown. Yum! Yum!

I got this recipe off of the Duggars website and make it all the time:

Broccoli Casserole

3/4 lb. Velveetaâ„¢ cheese, cubed

2 small boxes frozen chopped broccoli

1 cup cooked minute or brown rice

1 onion, chopped

1 stick butter

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup milk

Saute onions in butter. Cook broccoli as package directs,

drain. Cook rice, combine all ingredients; pour into 9x13 in.

dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown. Yum! Yum!

You'd want to sub cream of mushroom for the cream of chicken to make it meat-free.;)