Menu

Just for old time's sake (and mostly because I wasn't paying attention before). . .

1. How do you clean/care for hardwood floors?

We are considering putting hardwood floors in our living room, dining room, and kitchen. I thought I heard someone mention before that a canister vaccum was a necessity with hw floors? Is this true? What do you use to clean them? I know this has been asked a bazillion times, but I never needed to know before. Sorry.

2. Which front-loading washing machine would I want to purchase and why? I really probably won't be buying one until my current washer gives out. It's only 6.5yo, so it will probably last a while longer. But, I couldn't resist asking because it is just such the classic general board question, along with how to care for hardwood floors, right? Anyway, we will be adding an upstairs laundry room (currently w&d are in the basement) when we build on to our house this spring. And dh has mentioned getting a front-loader, so I thought I should find out which brands to look for, in case the washer goes out.

3. If I get to have a homeschool room when we build our addition, what things are must-haves? I think I might actually get to have a hs room! Currently we hs at our dining room table, and store everything in a built-in cabinet in our dining room. We have a very small house and it would be soooooooooo nice to have a space devoted to hsing and storing hsing paraphanelia. It looks as if we might get a room right off the kitchen/dining room area. It would be about 14' by 15', with built-in storage along one wall, a walk-in closet separating it form the laundry room, and a few windows along the other walls. I know I want to keep some wall space free for maps, timelines, and artwork. I also want to have a table for seatwork and artwork, and some kind of cozy seating for read-alouds. Am I forgetting anything? I so hope this happens!

Thanks for humoring me.

I'm really serious. I really *wasn't* paying attention to the answers the bazillion times these questions were asked before, so somebody please take pity on me. I posted these questions early this morning and nobody has answered.

We are thinking of installing hardwood floors and I need to know how to care for them. Do I need to purchase a cansiter vacuum, a swiffer mop, special hardwood floor cleaner? And I really wasn't joking about the front loading washer, either. I need to know which brands are good and which to avoid. And if you have any recommendations for setting up a hs room, I would love them. It is possible that we might be getting one this spring, which would be approximatley 14 ft. by 15 ft. I know I want a wall storage unit to put all of our curriculum and supplies, and I'd like to have a table, and some wall space for maps/timelines, etc. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I bet everyone thought I was just kidding with the old hardwood floors, front loading washer, hs room questions, right? That's why no one answered, right? Not because you don't like me, right?

I'm really serious. I really *wasn't* paying attention to the answers the bazillion times these questions were asked before, so somebody please take pity on me. I posted these questions early this morning and nobody has answered.

We are thinking of installing hardwood floors and I need to know how to care for them. Do I need to purchase a cansiter vacuum, a swiffer mop, special hardwood floor cleaner? And I really wasn't joking about the front loading washer, either. I need to know which brands are good and which to avoid. And if you have any recommendations for setting up a hs room, I would love them. It is possible that we might be getting one this spring, which would be approximatley 14 ft. by 15 ft. I know I want a wall storage unit to put all of our curriculum and supplies, and I'd like to have a table, and some wall space for maps/timelines, etc. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I bet everyone thought I was just kidding with the old hardwood floors, front loading washer, hs room questions, right? That's why no one answered, right? Not because you don't like me, right?

I use a broom daily, and white vinegar and hot water when I mop my hardwoods. Several folks here have recently recommended something called Bona (?) for hardwoods, as well.

I have had a Frigidaire front loader and was very pleased, now I have an LG that I would marry if I weren't already.

I'm a homeschool room drop-out times five or six - we always end up in my office and at the dining room table- so I'll keep quiet on that count.

:p LOL I saw your message and then got sidetracked by a math question. The nerve of these kids!

I can answer the hardwood question!! We LOVE ours. I just use a vacuum when it needs it. I have an attachment on my vacuum that works for hardwood floors (mine's a Miele). Then, I mop them with a vinegar/water mixture whenever it needs it. (This is a great job for the kids, btw! I make them get under our kitchen table daily with a wet rag!)

We also have the LG frontloader and haven't had a problem at all! We run at least two loads of laundry/day average.

Have fun with your remodeling!

We are considering putting hardwood floors in our living room, dining room, and kitchen. I thought I heard someone mention before that a canister vaccum was a necessity with hw floors? Is this true? What do you use to clean them? I know this has been asked a bazillion times, but I never needed to know before. Sorry.

2. Which front-loading washing machine would I want to purchase and why? I really probably won't be buying one until my current washer gives out. It's only 6.5yo, so it will probably last a while longer. But, I couldn't resist asking because it is just such the classic general board question, along with how to care for hardwood floors, right? Anyway, we will be adding an upstairs laundry room (currently w&d are in the basement) when we build on to our house this spring. And dh has mentioned getting a front-loader, so I thought I should find out which brands to look for, in case the washer goes out.

3. If I get to have a homeschool room when we build our addition, what things are must-haves? I think I might actually get to have a hs room! Currently we hs at our dining room table, and store everything in a built-in cabinet in our dining room. We have a very small house and it would be soooooooooo nice to have a space devoted to hsing and storing hsing paraphanelia. It looks as if we might get a room right off the kitchen/dining room area. It would be about 14' by 15', with built-in storage along one wall, a walk-in closet separating it form the laundry room, and a few windows along the other walls. I know I want to keep some wall space free for maps, timelines, and artwork. I also want to have a table for seatwork and artwork, and some kind of cozy seating for read-alouds. Am I forgetting anything? I so hope this happens!

Thanks for humoring me.

I have wood floors in my kitchen/entry. I use a little dirt devil vacuum for the dirt and wipe it daily with a damp towel. I have dark wood and I advise against it b/c it shows everything. If the kids walk on it with a damp foot, then you can see a little print on it. I guess it's kind of good b/c my floors stay clean, but I'm a little obsessive about a clean house.

I have a front loader washer that is an LG Tromm. I love it b/c I can load a bunch of clothes and it cleans well. It also uses less water than the standard washer. Mine also has all kinds of different cycles and functions that I have fun using. Mostly I use the speed wash b/c it's only 30 minutes. My only problem with it is that we have it on top of the pedestal/drawer that you can purchase with it so it makes the detergent dish a little high for me to reach. However, I'm only 5' tall , but I can still put the detergent in.

My dh built me a school house in our back yard and I love it. A must for us is our dry-erase board, desks, shelves and cubbies. I also love my rubbermaid drawers that holds so much of our stuff that isn't used every day. My dh built me a bookshelf that hold all of our notebooks and curriculum books and it has been a life-saver in terms of clutter. We also bought a rubbermaid closet from Home Depot that was on sale to store supplies. I have a couple of 4' long tables that hold our globes, microscope, sand box, fish and hamster. These are just a few of the things I can think of real quick. HTH!

This is what you want for your hardwood floors:

http://www.bonakemi.com/products/specials/WM710013343.htm

It's the Bona hardwood floor system, which includes a microfiber mop head and the very kewl Bona cleaner. You'll want to dustmop often, and you use the Bona when the floor looks dirty :-) You just spray this stuff on and wipe it dry. No odor, no wet floors.

I do have a tank/cannister vac which I use periodically (my whole downstairs is hardwood), because it *really* gets things clean, and I can use the attachments for cobwebs in the corners and other stuff I manage to miss when I'm dustmopping :-)

2. Which front-loading washing machine would I want to purchase and why?

I really probably won't be buying one until my current washer gives out. It's only 6.5yo, so it will probably last a while longer. But, I couldn't resist asking because it is just such the classic general board question, along with how to care for hardwood floors, right? Anyway, we will be adding an upstairs laundry room (currently w&d are in the basement) when we build on to our house this spring. And dh has mentioned getting a front-loader, so I thought I should find out which brands to look for, in case the washer goes out.

I have a Fridgidaire. I don't know what the hive mind recommends:)

3. If I get to have a homeschool room when we build our addition, what things are must-haves?

I think I might actually get to have a hs room! Currently we hs at our dining room table, and store everything in a built-in cabinet in our dining room. We have a very small house and it would be soooooooooo nice to have a space devoted to hsing and storing hsing paraphanelia. It looks as if we might get a room right off the kitchen/dining room area. It would be about 14' by 15', with built-in storage along one wall, a walk-in closet separating it form the laundry room, and a few windows along the other walls. I know I want to keep some wall space free for maps, timelines, and artwork. I also want to have a table for seatwork and artwork, and some kind of cozy seating for read-alouds. Am I forgetting anything? I so hope this happens!

How kewl is that!

You know, you'll need a Desk Apprentice for each dc.

I have hardwood floors throughout my house (11 years).

I sweep or vacuum as needed. My vacuum has a little switch that turns the beaters off so that the floors don't get damaged.

Whether I sweep or vacuum, though, I rely heavily on my dust-mop to make the floors nice. I have the kind that has a rectangular foot with a terry-cloth cover. I pray the cover with vinegar and run it over the floors after I have swept.

I also spot-clean with vinegar.

If I want to really clean the floor, I use either hot water with vinegar or, more commonly, Murphy's Oil Soap. I have been pleased with both, but prefer the Murphy's for a brighter finish.

1) I use a broom several times a day. Vinegar, hot water, and a bit of lemon essential oil (so it smells nice) when I wet wash the floors.

2) I have Kenmore's HE front load washer/dryer. They work very well for us: they're efficient and I can do very large loads.

3) I have a homeschool room. Aside from lots of natural light and desks for each student & mom, I suggest making closets in which you can put bookcases. This frees up wall space for posters and such (you can hang posters on the outside of sliding closet doors). You can also reduce the cluttered look by storing other supplies (art, staplers, filing boxes, etc.) in the closet/shelves.

HTH!

I have vacu-flo built into our house, which is currently all hardwood except for kitchen and schoolroom. I vacuum the entire house once a week and spot-sweep where necessary. To wash, I use vinegar and water. I find it tedious and don't do the whole floor nearly as often as I should. :o

We have LG Tromm front loader with Steam setting. I highly recommend the steam setting! Tres cool! No more ironing. I just run the clothes in the steam setting and hang! In fact, I haven't touched my iron in 2 years b/c of this washer!! It's also got sanitize cycle, which I could not live w/o as we do cloth diapers... plus it's nice to have when the stomach bug hits!! :eek:

School room... for me a must-have is my computer desk... so I can be working at computer while kids are doing school yet still be available to help them. It also helps to google quick images of things my dd doesn't understand etc. I have a preschooler & print stuff off for her a lot too so I need the computer in my schoolroom. We bought blackboard paint so we could customize the size/shape of our blackboard and I'm thrilled with it! That's all I can think of right now to add to your list. Sounds like you'll have a very nice room when it's all done!

Hardwoods: Damp mop with warm water and once a week with weak vhite vinegar. I use a microfiber mop and pop the top off and throw into the washing machine.

Washing Machine: My LG frontloader is almost 3 1/2 years old....so wonderful, so wonderful so wonderful.

School Room: Not sure, I use a spare bedroom, but I would love built in bookcases or maybe just a giant walk in closet would be better that had lots of shelves. I went to one homeschool moms house, and her school room was just a kitchen table and 2 large comfy sofas and a rocking chair...BUT she had this humongeous walk in closet that housed all her books, clutter, assignments, etc...it kept the main work area very neat!

I use a swivel sweeper http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/swivel_sweeper.htmland absolutely LOVE it for my hardwoods and my tile. This, honestly, is the best thing since sliced bread for me 'cause it is battery powered and I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging a cord to make it around the house. I use this just about daily to hit the hot spots where the dog hair likes to accumulate (around baseboards, corners, etc). Then, when I'm not renovating (:p), I weekly use my Rainbow vac with hard floor attachment followed by the use of a Shmop and hot water/vinegar solution.

2. Which front-loading washing machine would I want to purchase and why?

LG for me - love 'em![/i]

QUOTE]

If I want to really clean the floor, I use either hot water with vinegar or, more commonly, Murphy's Oil Soap. I have been pleased with both, but prefer the Murphy's for a brighter finish.

Someone here said that her hardwood floors were ruined by Murphy's Oil Soap. I have also read that companies who refinish wood floors refuse to work on floors that have Murphy's Oil Soap on them.

1. Our floor guy recommended Bona products to clean the floor. Or just plain water. He said to avoid vinegar and Murphey's Oil Soap. (Something about vinegar could cause a cloudy suface over time). First, I vacuum or use a microfiber dust mop and then use the Bona. My sil uses a roomba (sp?) to "vacuum" and really likes it.

2. I love our Kenmore Elite front loader. I hated our Bosch!!!

3. I am a homeschool room dropout. We always end up at the kitchen table so I am not much help there. Sorry.

I can only answer on the front-loader question. My advice is to be careful on the Kenmore. We have a Kenmore and it has needed expensive repairs. The last time the repairman was out (it had broken one of the "shocks" that keeps it from bouncing around the room) he told me that they had discontinued making our model because of all the problems! He also told me that other Kenmores had the same tendency (for the shocks to fail) - now this was a year ago and they may have done a huge revamping of their manufacturing but I would check it out.