Menu

Wasn't there a curric. that schedules "A History of the United States + its People"

HappyGrace

Maybe you're thinking of HOD? It uses the lower level (red) Eggleston book I think.

If you're really, really nice to me, and just a little bit patient, I'll probably share whatever schedule I pull up coordinating Eggleston with the other things we'll be using. :) Honestly, I've been less scheduled in the past, more go with the flow, but this fall calls for more coordination. I'm trying to draw together writing assignments, crafts (real crafts), Eggleston, TQ pages, the whole nine yards. Of course that may all go up in smoke, hehe, but I'm going to try. You're welcome to bug me in June and ask me how it's going. I started earlier this week but had to get back to housework. After May 31st I should have more time to devote to it. I have to go through the TT cd's and see which things we'll use from there, etc.

I'm planning on doing TQ and TT anyway, and to have a spine other than Guerber (so I can save that for logic stage TOG, which schedules it) would be amazing! We're doing VP Explorers to 1815 cards too (in co-op.) Sending organic cyber-brownies your way!!!! (I won't bug you til June though.)

Ooo, cyber-brownies! Do they still put weight on me? :)

I'll tell you my newest thing, just to get you excited. I've been playing around with one of the lit guides from Moving Beyond the Page that I bought last summer at the convention (vaguely remember that?), and I like them well enough to use more this coming year. They got discussed on the accelerated board, and I can see what some were saying that too many of them, all day, would be too much of the same thing. But for a supplement, they really are nice. There are a number of their 8-10 guides that just happen to go along with american. They're particularly good about integrating writing as well as of course some thought (compare and contrast, etc.). So I've spent this morning wrapping my brain around the different units they sell and figuring out which ones you could plug in where to create a more sequential, not overkill progression. For instance one of the social studies units covers voting, and well we have an election coming up this fall. She has a unit on indians that looks like just enough without being too much. Thing is, these units are hidden within things, which is why I've been drawing little tables and arrows all morning to sort it out, lol. Or maybe I'm just REALLY slow! Hehe. Anyways, I'm working on it and really excited. See part of what Heather in VA has been challenging me about is to make our history more than reading. But how to get there? These guides seem a good way. There are the History Pockets, but they're kinda yuck frankly, at least the ones we have, especially if you don't like to color. I'm hoping the MBP guides will be a bit more sophisticated. Angelina says the newer History Pockets (Revolution, Civil War, etc.) involve more thought. The ones I have though are pretty one-dimensional and boring. (read, color, occasionally an interesting project)

So anyways, I'll try to order the guides I'm thinking of, hopefully some time next week, and see if they'll actually do what I'm wanting. I'm going to put in the TT cd's today and get really serious about what I'm doing, what will work from them and what won't. My housework is FINALLY chilling out in preparation for the party, so it's relaxing to be able to sit and ponder curriculum stuff rather than hunching over a sewing table. :)

PS. Any plans for this summer? MBP has a few lit guides for books set in England, Africa, Asia, etc. that I thought would spiff up the country study my dd wants to do. And I'm thinking their Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and Holes would be fun to do for May Term '09. (Boy does that seem a long time off!) We're doing the Poppy guide right now, and it's light but just right to be fun, if that makes sense. It lets you get other things done at the same time. Dd enjoys the open-endedness, the research, etc. It's definitely how education should be, in that sense, at least part of the time. I can just see where if it were all the time for all your coverage, it would become monotonous. MBP wants you to do two guides at once and basically do that all the time. Instead I'm picking just the few best ones or units from ones that fit with what we're covering in our systematic studies, if that makes sense. Gives you some spice without throwing off your sequential study. And they're pretty practical. I can just put the assignments on her checklist and she does them.

Well I better go. Just wanted to share! :)

I love your idea, but MBTP is SO expensive! Not bad if you're using it exclusively, I guess, but too expensive for me to use as an add-on. I do remember when you got these at convention-I remember I cked out the website then and loved the setup but not the price! Am I missing something on the price? Did you buy the whole kit and caboodle?

I know what you mean about how hard it is to find meaningful activities. History Pockets is busy work for us, although I may ck out the newer ones. TT comes pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I'm not a crafty mom who will do most of the activities in the Amer. Rev. one-they're just too much for me. I don't like crafts like making outfits, etc. The Explorers one is more doable to me, and I love her lapbooks. I basically just want some basic activities that cement the history learning in meaningful ways. It's why I'm so tempted by TOG-their activities are EXACTLY what I'm looking for and they're a nice mix, with many to pick and choose from.

I'm glad your party prep is mostly done-you need to kick back and relax! Our summer plans are mellow-we're going to do a lot of Bible and math. RS C plus BJU2 worktext as review to see how we like BJU. Lots of living math stuff-I have the Living Math plans and we piddle around with them a lot. We stick our noses into her great spines (Mathematicians are People Too, etc.) and then run with the topics we find there for a few days. We don't do it in history order like she does. Sometimes we just pick a bunch of books from her reading lists and cuddle up with them. We'll also mix it up and do some MathShark and RS games-fun and loose summer stuff. I'm comfortable with where we are on everything else-we hit or exceeded mostly all my goals for this year. I was really pleased with how our year went. I think I'm at the point where I'm confident with what works for us and it showed this year.

I'm not motivated to plan the fall stuff. Not sure why-usually I'm obsessed with it this time of year! I think I've learned that more is not necessarily better, and keeping it simple is what actually gets things done around here! (Of course my "simple" is anyone else's overkill, but that's another story!) I'll probably post my fall plans in a month or two after I finalize. History especially will be up in the air til I hear how you're using that spine-LOL! Seriously, it would be good to save Guerber til logic and TOG, if possible. Are you doing early modern this yr, Explorer's to 1815 with the VP cards?

Well we'll still use the VP cards, but I'm going to let Eggleston drive, assuming this all works out. It will just be more sane that way. So instead of one card a week it will be one chapter of Eggleston each week.

I'll have to check on the prices on the MBP guides. When I bought, I just got a couple of the guides themselves. They take quite a while to work through and include all the reproducibles, so the price doesn't seem to terrible, at least not if I'm remembering correctly what I paid, which I might not be. Yup, just checked, and the lit guides are $15 individually. The Science/Social Studies guides are $25 and have the student pages in a separate book for an additional fee. Maybe the S/SS lessons include the reproducibles like the lit guides do?

I'm trying to take my time on this whole thing and not jump too fast. MBP is one of those things that on the one hand is good and on the other hand not enough (not challenging enough, not enough content, not enough fun stuff, not enough variety). I think moderation is the key and picking out just the ones that are especially well-written. And yes, I hear you on crafts!

individually! I just saw the whole package prices-yikes! So individually, that would be doable then. I do better picking a spine too, rather than going by VP cards. I'll be interested to see what you come up with when it's done. I'm going really slow with my fall planning too, trying to streamline things as much as possible.

materusa-HOD usually means Heart of Dakota, and MBP is Moving Beyond the Page-you can google either and ck them out!