Menu

Anyone use CHC's Language of God?

Penny_P

Just curious as I'm analyzing for next year. I was planning to go with Easy Grammar, but .... eh ... I don't like how the book is layed out. LOG just looks so sweet and gentle. (Too gentle?) Any thoughts? I really want something mostly independent.

We used CHC (including LoG) in our first year of Homeschooling. It was a great way to start the homeschooling process. It was easy to learn and easy to teach. However, it quickly became clear that it was much too simple for us. I didn't really feel like it had the breadth and scope we needed. We switched to Easy Grammar and used that for a couple of years, but my kids did not retain anything from EG. Seriously, EG did not work for us at all. The kids enjoyed it, and it certainly looked like they were learning, but then they would just forget everything. We switched to VIE (dry, convoluted, teacher intensive, but effective) which I taught orally for two years just to catch them up on the years I felt we had wasted in grammar instruction. Now I am using the Lingua Mater program (language Lessons) which is writing with grammar portions included. I am also working with them through The First Whole Book of Diagrams. They also pick up some grammar in their Latin studies. Last year my daughter used "Basic Language Principles" and enjoyed it.

That was more information than you asked for, but hopefully you find something helpful in my grammar journey ramblings. ;)

I just wanted to add, if I could go back, I would take a long hard look at Growing with Grammar and/or Saxon Grammar. But I am still not convinced that grammar can be taught (very well) through independent workbook programs). Maybe it is kind of like learning a foreign language using only workbooks, you know? But I would love it if I was wrong. :)

I used it when my son was in second grade and I liked it. But, he was not retaining anything and I switched him to something else since that point (he just finished 4th grade). But, he hasn't retained much of anything with any other program. I have concluded that kids are not going to retain much grammar in the early years and that is ok. So, we are going back to CHC in August with my 2nd and 5th grader. It is a little light (which is what we want), but comparable to other programs. If you and dc like workbook programs, this is a good one.

I use CHC as my core. We find that the language books are just right. We also go over them together and I give some more examples and look through books to find real life applications. We love them, and they build upon each other. We're using them all the way through.

I found it to be way too light for my kids too. One year with CHC's LoG was enough. I wouldn't say it was a total waste, but more just busy work. Kolbe has a couple of new grammar workbooks out this year that looked nice when I flipped through them at a conference. But I pretty much am set with MCT. It may not be Catholic, but we love it.

I used Level A as a supplement to the oral grammar exercises in FLL 1/2. It was great for that purposes but much too light to serve as a primary program for us.

I am considering doing this for my second grader. There is really just two days worth of work in the workbook per week. They suggest doing dictation for review, but we do enough of that in other subjects. I may fill another day with FLL 2 since I already have it. But, then I want to be light on grammar, so the workbook alone should be enough. As you can tell with the other post it just depends on how much grammar you think your kids needs. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't read the why teach grammar discussion, but I do think knowledge of grammar is important. When I was getting my MA in German Lit. I taught intro undergrad students and they didn't know basics like what a noun was. I don't know that one needs to spend a lot of time on grammar. One thing I like about MCT is that you read the grammar book quickly at the beginning of the year and then do a quick review daily after that. But I did not think the CHC books were very thorough, fleshed things out much or really taught well. It doesn't have to take very long per day to teach grammar thoroughly, I just was unimpressed with CHC, though of course other people have probably had good success with it.

I haven't read the why teach grammar discussion, but I do think knowledge of grammar is important. When I was getting my MA in German Lit. I taught intro undergrad students and they didn't know basics like what a noun was. I don't know that one needs to spend a lot of time on grammar. One thing I like about MCT is that you read the grammar book quickly at the beginning of the year and then do a quick review daily after that. But I did not think the CHC books were very thorough, fleshed things out much or really taught well. It doesn't have to take very long per day to teach grammar thoroughly, I just was unimpressed with CHC, though of course other people have probably had good success with it.

:iagree:

Our VIE lessons only took about 10-20 minutes a day. And although the lessons were a bit dry the kids didn't complain because we did the lessons orally. Sometimes I would have them do a couple things on paper or on the white board (like diagramming) but they did it while I was sitting right there giving feedback. The kids actually enjoyed the lessons because they ended up being discussion based instead of busywork.

I do feel grammar is a critical skill. At the very least, imo, the basics should be mastered. If you spend a bit of time reading various message boards (besides this one of course ;)) around the internet, especially those targeted at young people, you will quickly see the results of an educational system that no longer teaches grammar.

We used the old version. Here is the Catholic one: http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvList.aspx?GrdId=24

I am pretty sure there is an older non Catholic version? Someone else may have to jump in with info on that. We just used the grammar portion of the text (second half) with the AK. Last year, when my daughter was doing Basic Language Principles, I tried using the teacher's manual & workbook in addition to the text with my youngest son. I found it was much simpler and effective to just stick with the text/discussion approach.

We did use some of the info in the writing portion (the first half) of the text. They have a nice book report format that I had the kids use, and there were a few other exercises that looked like fun so we went ahead and did them. It made a nice writing supplement. I suppose you could use the entire first section in place of a writing program, but some of the writing exercises in the older books are a bit dated.

Someone else will have to help with the grade conversion since I am not familiar with FLL. But in my experience the VIE numbers matched up pretty well with the grades, 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd etc..

HTH!

I was wondering about CHC's grammar. Before we converted to Catholicism I used Christian Light. I will continue to use it granted its not a Catholic curriculum. Its the ONLY grammar program that has stuck with my daughters. Before that I tried BJU, Abeka, K12, Calvert, and just none of them stuck with my girls.

I wish there was a Catholic curriculum like Christian Light. If there was I'd use it in a heart beat.