Menu

Help! We have pink-eye. Can we still go to the zoo??

DD(4) has been wanting to go to the zoo for months. It is her preschool's big fieldtrip, and she has looking forward to this for so long. So yesterday, late afternoon, she came down with pink-eye. Now I have it. Can we still go? Help!!

No. Pretend for a moment that you are at the zoo with your healthy kid, and another mom tells you that she and her kidlet came down with pinkeye the day before, but couldn't stay home because she didn't want to disappoint her kid. Wouldn't you be backing away and thinking to yourself "Why didn't you stay HOME!!!?? Aargh - germs!" ???;)

You can promise to take dd, and perhaps a friend from the class, another day. The zoo will still be there.

I believe from our round that we were told to wait 24-48 hours after giving the eye medication to be around anyone else.

It is hard when this happens at a special time... last year my teen dd broke out with chicken pox the night before leaving on a missions trip (she had raised her funding and all) and she cried and cried...

No. Please don't go. Pinkeye is highly contagious, give the ointment more time to work.

:iagree:

Plus there will be people w/ weaker immune systems: elderly, pg, small children. Please, please go later.

Sorry. :grouphug:

Both schools we have been to had 24 hours after starting meds policy.>>>

The school my kids attend have the rule that if dc went to doc and got at least one dose of med in yesterday and one dose before school he could go to school. Dss now 12 who was never homeschooled seemed to get pink eye all the time for a while so we went through it a bunch of times.

It depends on the treatment. When my daughter got pink eye I was given the choice between A) cheaper 24 hours until not contagious drops and B)more expensive one dose not contagious drops. With two younger boys in the house I chose the more expensive drops and neither of them got pink eye.

We did go out that day and we did normal activities. And no one else got pink eye from us being out. Ask your pharmacist how long until she isn't contagious and go with that opinion.

My pediatrician always says they can go back to all their activities the next day. i.e. - I notice it in the morning, take them in to doc in afternoon, give them dose in afternoon/evening, they can go back next morning. In 13 yrs of kids, not one of them has spread it, so...I figure he's gotta know what he's talking about, right?

Plus, with this time of year the pinkeye could be allergy related and not germ related. Happens to my dh every year.