Menu

Would you pawn your class ring to put gas in the car?

I have several trips I need to make this week (one to a doctor, two to extra-curriculuar activities, and one to see a play - something we rarely do and Dd18 already bought the tickets for everyone as a treat for the family) and there's very little gas in the car and no money in the bank. Don't quite know what to do. I wonder if a pawnbroker will even given me enough to fill the tank. Ugh!

Oh, and one of the extra activities I'd have to drive to anyway as I was planning on stopping by a friend's house on the way home to say good-bye one last time (she's moving to Okinawa next week) and pick up the food she has left in her fridge and freezer. The other extra activity is the last choir practice before a performance on Saturday and the choir is going to be recorded.

I have a 10K high school ring and a 14K college ring. I never wear them. Should I pawn them?

I don't know that you would get enough $$$ to justify it.

I agree. Do you have a used book store that buys cds or dvds for cash? Do you have anything you could stick on craigslist? After our recent move here we made around $400 on furniture that didn't fit in our new house. Something like that might be a better bet. :grouphug:

Taking a picture is a good idea and I would never have thought of that. I never wear them - they just sit in my jewelry box. I always thought a place that bought gold was a pawnbroker. Are they two different things? Hmmm...

It's probably too late for craigslist. If I'd been more organized I'd have thought of that sooner. I need to get my act together for crying out loud!

I doubt that you'd get much for them…

I wouldn't do it, because I'm the sort who would SAY "I won't miss this" ..and then regret it terribly later. :tongue_smilie:

do you have a credit card or something you could use instead? (or can you get one through your bank?) ….

Guest Dulcimeramy

I wouldn't do it, because I'm the sort who would SAY "I won't miss this" ..and then regret it terribly later. :tongue_smilie:

do you have a credit card or something you could use instead? (or can you get one through your bank?) ….

:001_huh: :thumbdown:

In the United States of America, we pay interest on credit card debt. Only a fool would go out and get a credit card to pay for disposable purchases such as food or gas.

People may have their own reasons for using credit cards for all purchases. Perhaps they are building up their credit rating or like the ease of bookkeeping or have another good reason...but only those who have sufficient income to pay off the balance every single month without fail (and the diligence to do so) should live by this system.

Please don't advise people who are struggling financially and down to selling their jewelry to go out and get a credit card. That is very, very bad advice.

Rather than pawning, you could try ebay. Of course, then you wouldn't have the option to buy them back, but I think you'd earn a lot more for them. I personally wouldn't care about school rings if I had them, so I would definitely do it.

In the United States of America, we pay interest on credit card debt. Only a fool would go out and get a credit card to pay for disposable purchases such as food or gas.

People may have their own reasons for using credit cards for all purchases. Perhaps they are building up their credit rating or like the ease of bookkeeping or have another good reason...but only those who have sufficient income to pay off the balance every single month without fail (and the diligence to do so) should live by this system.

Please don't advise people who are struggling financially and down to selling their jewelry to go out and get a credit card. That is very, very bad advice.

I'm very glad you included that bit... ;)

I would sell the highschool one first but I agree with the others. Probably not a market for it. I would save the college one because it would have been more special to me....I worked harder for it.

Sorry it has come to this. Do you have an emergency fund or other budget line? Maybe if you see better times ahead you could take it out of there and cut back next week.:grouphug:

You can give your suggestions and I can give mine ~ I would use a credit card before I started "pawning" things, especially things that I might really regret parting with later. :)

Thanks everyone. These are some good ideas. We are trying very hard not to buy anything on credit and do not have credit cards. I've had to pay some co-pays this month on doctor bills I was not expecting - that's how slim the margin is. I hate living like this, but I can't think of any other way to do it right now. Selling our house is a no go - we're already in a tiny house with 4 kids and the market is horrible. A house just like mine built the same year just went on the market yesterday for less than what we paid for ours 20 years ago!!! I've had many medical issues (spinal fusion surgery, cortisone injections, blah, blah, blah - it just keeps adding up even though our insurance covers a lot of it.)

Uh, oh, I'm rambling and griping - sorry.

Ok, back to the rings. I am going to see about finding a gold dealer and selling them.

Thanks again for all the advice - I appreciate your time.:)

if that was the ONLY way I guess I would--I'm very sentimental and still have my classring-don't wear it it's in the safety box but I love it! :D Probably wouldn't get much at the pawn shop....I'd see what the "cash for gold" places would give you.....does yours have a stone worth anything? I'd see if I could get it out if it was a genuine stone and see if I could get extra for that......good luck.......

Thanks everyone. These are some good ideas. We are trying very hard not to buy anything on credit and do not have credit cards. I've had to pay some co-pays this month on doctor bills I was not expecting - that's how slim the margin is. I hate living like this, but I can't think of any other way to do it right now. Selling our house is a no go - we're already in a tiny house with 4 kids and the market is horrible. A house just like mine built the same year just went on the market yesterday for less than what we paid for ours 20 years ago!!! I've had many medical issues (spinal fusion surgery, cortisone injections, blah, blah, blah - it just keeps adding up even though our insurance covers a lot of it.)

Ok, back to the rings. I am going to see about finding a gold dealer and selling them.

I just heard recently (probably on Good Morning America) that now is a great time to sell old gold jewelry.

:grouphug:

I took mine, along with some chains & other gold pieces, to a local jeweler at one point. I did not get much for them, but it was enough at that moment to give me peace of mind.

Everybody is different. I didn't think twice, and have never missed any of it.

Gosh yes. I sold mine without a second thought.

My husband would say no. I called him from the gold buyer and asked him if I could sell his class ring. (ETA: The guy offered me $350 for it!) DH said, "Don't be an idiot." He hasn't even thought about the ring since. He doesn't even know where it is. (I didn't sell it.)

Edited by Cindyg

Could you whip together a yard sale for tomorrow?

I have several trips I need to make this week (one to a doctor, two to extra-curriculuar activities, and one to see a play - something we rarely do and Dd18 already bought the tickets for everyone as a treat for the family) and there's very little gas in the car and no money in the bank. Don't quite know what to do. I wonder if a pawnbroker will even given me enough to fill the tank. Ugh!

Oh, and one of the extra activities I'd have to drive to anyway as I was planning on stopping by a friend's house on the way home to say good-bye one last time (she's moving to Okinawa next week) and pick up the food she has left in her fridge and freezer. The other extra activity is the last choir practice before a performance on Saturday and the choir is going to be recorded.

I have a 10K high school ring and a 14K college ring. I never wear them. Should I pawn them?

They will likely only give you a reduced value of the gold. You might get better luck with a pawn shop that deals in a lot of jewellery or one that is related to a gold broker. I wouldn't pawn them, though. Just sell them outright. It wouldn't be worth the interest they'd charge to pawn them for gas.

They will likely only give you a reduced value of the gold. You might get better luck with a pawn shop that deals in a lot of jewellery or one that is related to a gold broker. I wouldn't pawn them, though. Just sell them outright. It wouldn't be worth the interest they'd charge to pawn them for gas.

Shows you how much I know - or not! I didn't know pawn shops charged interest. This whole idea is very new to me. I will definitely have to do some research.

And to the poster who suggested a yard sale, I do have one planned for June 18th. I live on a dirt road tucked far away from passing traffic so I went in with a couple of neighbors to do a community yard sale up at our pavilion area - that was the only date we all had available. Hopefully, that will help pay some of these doctor bills.

You have all been very kind - I appreciate all the concern and hugs.:)

Taking a picture is a good idea and I would never have thought of that. I never wear them - they just sit in my jewelry box. I always thought a place that bought gold was a pawnbroker. Are they two different things? Hmmm...

It's probably too late for craigslist. If I'd been more organized I'd have thought of that sooner. I need to get my act together for crying out loud!

Do you have a paypal account? That helps A LOT with ebay and you can always do a one day only auction.