Menu

SO excited about going to orientation with dd! Anyone else?

At Christopher Newport, they have sessions for parents and then parents and the kids over a two-day period. Then I pack up and head home and she has another few days of orientation with her leadership program. I'm so thrilled to see her entering this phase of life and the opportunity to journey with her!

Orientation is $100 for the student. Each additional family member is $10. If the student stays in the dorm overnight, that costs another $45. If the student needs to take the THEA exam, that's another $15 (payable in cash at orientation). My dd is staying overnight and my dh and I are attending with her and she doesn't need the THEA test (has taken COMPASS), so our cost is $165. Fortunately, the grandparents are just 10 minutes from campus, so the rest of us will be able to crash there.

Ds has a two part orientation. Part 1 is next week, for one day. That is $75 plus $10 for my meal ticket. They have separate sessions for the parents and students for most of the day. Students register for classes on this day (parents are not allowed to come in to the meeting with the adviser for that, which makes sense, as the adviser really needs to be paying attention to what the student's needs are, not the parents). Lunch is together, banquet style, with a speaker.

Part 2 is in in August, for two days, right before classes start. Parents do not attend this part. If they're living on campus, they move in the day before orientation. Most of the two days is spent with their "Intro to College" class, which meets once a week for an hour during the first semester, along with 3-4 required social activities.

What are the Thea and COMPASS tests?

College placement tests in English & Math. Dd#2's U req. that all students take it also (regardless of ACT/SAT scores), unless they have a recent one that can be forwarded to them.

What an exciting time for you and your daughter! I really enjoyed the orientation that my daughter and I attended last summer. It made me feel confident that she had chosen the right school for her. She just finished her freshman year, and loved it!

• 1 month later...
What an exciting time for you and your daughter! I really enjoyed the orientation that my daughter and I attended last summer. It made me feel confident that she had chosen the right school for her. She just finished her freshman year, and loved it!

DD and I had a great time at orientation. Like you, it confirmed that we had made a great choice for her. :)