Menu

Transcript Question.....Grading Scale

I know you are to include a grading scale with your transcript which I plan on doing but I'm wondering, if you plan to include your method of evaluating a course - where does it go? Am I right in assuming this needs to be included somewhere? Just wondering. For example:

English II Essay Papers

60% for Content

30% Grammar

10% Effort

Where should I show this info?

Thanks!

in your records, you should keep it, but I would not put it on the transcript.

Sometimes colleges ask for additional detail (course descriptions, book lists, etc.), but I believe that requests for that level of detail are pretty rare.

hth

:iagree: Our support group had an admissions officer speak to us about transcripts a few months back. She did not indicate that that type of detail was needed -- or wanted.

Sometimes colleges ask for additional detail (course descriptions, book lists, etc.), but I believe that requests for that level of detail are pretty rare.

I think how much info a college wants depends on the college.

ALL of the colleges my kids have applied to (14 at this point) wanted as much information as we would/could supply. The admissions counselor at my kids' college told me that they would accept more homeschoolers but typically homeschoolers do not provide enough information for the college to feel comfortable accepting them.

My son is visiting a college with my husband today, and the admissions counselor was pretty skeptical of my son's homeschooling background. (I don't believe they have ever accepted any). When my husband produced a transcript and started describing both my son's education and the admissions packet we would provide (activity sheets, course descriptions, a transcript from every outside class, guidance counselor letter, school profile). My husband asked if a portfolio detailing my son's projects would be helpful, and the fellow said it would help them get over any discomfort they had about hy son's "unusual" background.

I am not saying that all colleges want this level of supporting documents. I am just saying that SOME do!

I generally understand grading scale to mean:

90 - 100 A

80 - 90 B

etc.

I think they want to know where the cutoff is, and whether the grades are weighted (.5 added for honors courses and 1.0 added for AP level courses) or are unweighted (4.0 is maximum achievable GPA).

I've heard of some colleges requiring course descriptions, but even these don't need such detailed information about how you arrived at the grade earned. I'd call that TMI. :)