Menu

Are Awana patches iron-on or sew-on? My dd got several last night, and I don't know

then they iron on. If she's a spark, then they sew on.

If she's a spark and they are the review patches that go under the jewels anyway, then you can just punch the jewel thing through the patch and hook it up to the vest. No sewing required to keep it in place.

They are some of both. What ages?

Cubbie patches are iron-on. Cubbie "Hopper" and "Jumper" patches I sew on.

Sparkie patches I iron-on (there aren't very many). The level patches (skipper, hiker, climber) I sew on.

T&T doesn't have patches except for special events (Bible Quiz, Awana games, etc.) Those I sew on, though I *have* been able to get a couple to stick by ironing them on.

HTH

My Dd has Cubbie patches....that I sewed on.

LOL, I did the same thing. I just had my 4th child finish Cubbies. That is like 40 patches that I sewed on that I could have ironed on. My poor fingers.:001_huh:

• 5 years later...
Guest vikylove

then they iron on. If she's a spark, then they sew on.

If she's a spark and they are the review patches that go under the jewels anyway, then you can just punch the jewel thing through the patch and hook it up to the vest. No sewing required to keep it in place.

This is very true! The same principle for iron on patches as stated on this site. http://www.irononpatches.info

They are iron on, but they aways fall off, so I sew on all of the patches.

Dorothy

Me too.  ...Same with Scout badges.  

Depending on how well the adhesive seems to be holding, I usually just make a few little tacks by hand.  They hide nicely in the edge embroidery.

If you can't or don't want to sew, check your yellow pages for a BSA scout shop (or go to scoutstuff.org). They sell something called "badge magic" that will keep those badges on tight. I have had to remove badges that had been put on with badge magic a couple years prior. They were still adhered tight enough it was a struggle to rip them off, and sometimes the badge doesn't survive the removal. Removal will leave dried glue on the shirt, and it may make it difficult to pass down the shirt/vest to another kid.

• 3 months later...
Guest vikylove

I tried ironing on my kid's Sparks patches and it didn't work. :confused1:  So I sewed them on. Has AWANAs started EVERYWHERE? Cr@p, I'm late....

Some patches need higher temperature and hard pressing to stick on. Maybe your patches are one of those. lol

Ummmm, aren't they staple on? :001_huh:

Seriously, I was always so bad about it that I'd be trying to hot glue them in place minutes before we had to leave for the ceremony.

Yikes!!!

Yep..this is why we make such good friends :D  After the safety pins annoyed them,I hot glue gunned them on for my boys :D