Menu

Hardwood or bamboo flooring?

I'm planning to rip out the carpet in the living room/dining room and replacing it with either hardwood or bamboo flooring this summer. I'm curious if anyone has experience with both and what you prefer. Also, any suggestions for where to buy the flooring? The only flooring I've ever had installed is Pergo so no experience with buying anything else.

Bamboo is more affordable, but not the strongest of woods. We've used it twice now--the first time in the kitchen/dining room of our old house, and more recently in our current home in the living room, hall and bedrooms. Ours warped a little in the kitchen when the fridge leaked--it isn't recommended for kitchens and bathrooms. In our current home, it has been fine, it just gets scratched a little more easily than I would like. But for the cost, it is probably comparable to a hardwood that costs $2 more per sq ft. A higher end hardwood would possibly wear better, but it would cost quite a bit more.

We got ours at Costco. They carry flooring certain times of the year, particularly in the winter. They might have it online if it isn't in your local warehouse. It is a DIY product, though you could certainly buy it and pay someone to install it. My husband installed it pretty easily, he just had to borrow a nail gun.

• 1 year later...