Menu

RE: LOF, Doe it stand alone?

I have been reading through the recent LOF/TT posts, and I am wondering if those of you who have finished LOF feel it is "enough". I have TT and LOF, mainly the kids do TT and I have them do LOF on the side. I am wondering if I should have them focus on LOF a bit more?

Also, anyone else skip TT Algebra 1 and go straight for 2? My son is doing pre alg at the moment.

Thanks.

Even though I consider TT to be an 'average' program I really do NOT suggest skipping their Algebra 1. It is not too far off what the nationally normed Algebra 1 courses teach--and it gives the students a solid foundation.

Sure Algebra 1 is REVIEWED in ALL Algebra 2 programs to some extent. This is because Geometry is usually worked in between. This REVIEW is NOT a substitute for a full Algebra 1 course--it just re-introduces concepts that the students had PRACTICED before and leads to the new lessons that expand them.

TT's Algebra 2 covers less material than nationally normed programs do. If this is the only high school Algebra your student has then I would have serious doubts about their math foundation and ability to go on to college level classes.

As a teacher, I have had students who used an 'average' math program--worse than TT-- and still scored very high on the ACT/SAT. This was NOT due to the program (or my teaching:tongue_smilie:) but rather to their own natural math abilities (high IQs too) and the use of upper math concepts in their 'free time' (computer programming, technical reading...)

Just something to think about.

Jann,

Thanks for your math input, it is just what I needed. My son would be doing TT Alg 2 as a 9th grader. He is 1/2 through TT pre alg, and I expect him to be in Algebra 1 by September. I am if we keep to this schedule we can certainly fill in the gaps down the road if any exist.

Even though I consider TT to be an 'average' program I really do NOT suggest skipping their Algebra 1. ...

... TT's Algebra 2 covers less material than nationally normed programs do. If this is the only high school Algebra your student has then I would have serious doubts about their math foundation and ability to go on to college level classes.

Jann,

Thanks for saying this - I will have to rethink my earlier decision to do that. That might have been a disaster!

Kathleen in VA

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue