Menu

Saxon Intermediate 3 vs the old Saxon 3?

mama27

One is Larson, one is Hake. You can page through the Saxon Intermediate 3 books if you click view samples from their public school site, they will send you and email to access for viewing. Larson follows the same style as Saxon 1 and 2. Hake follows the style of his higher books.

:lurk5:

Any other input? Why would one choose one over the other? Does learning style play into the choice?

I know Saxon 3 Intermediate is so new that there probably aren't many that are familiar. I've been trying to compare them, but haven't come to any conclusions myself about which one to go with.

So, if I'm looking at this right it seems more like the rest of saxon and written to the student instead of the scripted TM like the other?

That's what it looks like to me. I don't think my dd is ready for the new format next year. I, personally, prefer the new look, but dd does well with worksheets. The new format looks like it does not have a workbook, but I'm not sure. I'll check cbd and see if there are any supplementary materials.

From what I can tell at CBD, you can purchase a student workbook. There isn't a lot of space to work the problems, but it is there.

I'm sort of in the same boat. We are scheduled for Saxon 3 next year. I like the looks of the new book a lot. But my DD still really needs the hands-on aspect of the lessons from Larson's Saxon. More than likely we'll stick with that one, but I do really like that looks of Hake Saxon.

My son and I were both getting pretty tired of the Larson Science set up, he was going to start Saxon 3 (July), and I found the new Hake Saxon 3.

My son doesn't need the hands on and actually hates it. It distracts him and he just complains that he can do it faster than having to do it with all the manipulatives.

I haven't actually received it yet, due to CBD continuing to push their release back and having to order it via Saxon directly, it will be here next week.

It looks like the format is similar to the other Hake Saxon books (54 and higher) and I think he'll like the new format a lot better than what he's been doing with the Larson Science. It isn't my intention to just give him the books and have him be independent with them since he'll only be 6, but the format just looks so much better for him.

I am secretly hoping it will be a little more advanced than Larson 3, I had that in my hands and while looking at it, it just looked like it would way too easy for him as the other levels have been. I thought I'd heard it was a bit "more" than the Larson book, but I won't know until I get it next week and can really look at it closely.