Menu

Catholic Moms/Common Misconceptions?

She quoted me in her post. Then she said this. That seems pretty directed to me.

I really don't think she meant you. She commented on your quote and THEN made the statement commenting on the OP. I think it is a limitation of the format, but I don't think it was directed at you.

ETA: And mine weren't either! I am sorry if they seem that way. I have been on the ipad, and it is just not conducive to these kind of threads ...

Edited by Asenik

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more than a billion (yes, with a B) Catholics worldwide. That's a BIG organization with a varying degree of education and interest in religious matters. I wouldn't take anyone's word for what the RC Church teaches except for the written documents produced by the official hierarchy or books that carry a Nihil Obstat (the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval of Catholic doctrine).

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Even in these threads, we Catholic ladies are doing our best to explain our faith carefully and succinctly when questions arise, but looking at the official Church teachings in the CCC or various other types of documents that are produced is the best way to educate yourself.

I appreciate you saying these things are not true. Most respectfully, though, I know Catholics (many in my family as well as friends) who say that they are true. How can that be? I'm asking, how can teachings that are clearly contradicted in the Bible be thought of as the 'official' teaching of the Church? (again, most respectfully ;) )

I missed the other thread, and apologize if this was already discussed.

Also, I appreciate there are probably many Protestants and Catholics who simply are misinformed or uneducated about church history as well as current practices. However, the people I'm referring to really didn't strike me in that fashion.

Bible verses all have interpretations. They all have context, and they don't just speak for themselves. Our interpretations are obviously different that those of protestant denominations.

If you want to ask specific questions, please feel free to do so. (Or PM or email me -- some of these answers are just too long for the WTM post format.) I promise I will just answer and not try to convert anybody. :D

I appreciate you saying these things are not true. Most respectfully, though, I know Catholics (many in my family as well as friends) who say that they are true. How can that be? I'm asking, how can teachings that are clearly contradicted in the Bible be thought of as the 'official' teaching of the Church? (again, most respectfully ;) )

I missed the other thread, and apologize if this was already discussed.

Also, I appreciate there are probably many Protestants and Catholics who simply are misinformed or uneducated about church history as well as current practices. However, the people I'm referring to really didn't strike me in that fashion.

worship Mary

No The Blessed Virgin Mary is revered as Jesus' mother, but under no circumstance is she worshiped. Worship in the Catholic church is always for God/Jesus.

believe Mary saves them, not Jesus alone

Show me a Catholic that believes Mary saves then, not Jesus and I'll show you a very badly catechized Catholic. It simply is not a church teaching. I've often seen Catholics accused of this, but never seen anyone come out and admit to being this Catholic.

can't speak directly to God (must go through the priest, Mary, the Saints, etc)

Again, not a teaching of the church. I'm guessing there is a lot of half truth and misinterpretation going on. Since this is what prompted the last Catholic thread, I can only reiterate that yes, Catholics can, do and are encouraged to pray directly to God. It is a bunch of hooey to think otherwise.

believe confession is what gets rid of their sins, not Christ's work on the Cross

Catholics believe the Sacrament of Reconciliation was instituted by Christ Himself. Catholics are absolved of their sins during Reconciliation, but that absolution comes from Christ. It is all part of a whole, without Jesus' suffering there could not be Reconciliation. If you have questions about Reconciliation I can give you the long version.

believe the Pope is infallible (it was a long time before I learned about "on the chair/off the chair")

Yes, the Pope is infallible, BUT only when speaking ex cathedra - From the Chair of St. Peter. There have been less than a handful of times when a pope has spoken ex cathedra in the last 2000 years.

The pope cannot in the course of daily life decide the sky is green or that cows are really pigs and be correct. It does not work that way.

believe they can pay or work their way into heaven/out of purgatory/out of hell

Good Works (only along with faith necessary for salvation):

Ps 61:12

Mt 3-7

Mt 5:3-11 (The Beatitudes)

Mt 5:16

Mt 7:21

Mt 19:16-17

Mt 25:35-36

Mk 16:16

Jn5:29

Jn 10:32

Jn 14:15

Rom 2:6

Rom 2:7

Rom 2:10

Rom 2:23

Rom 3:28

Rom 8:24

Rom 10:17

Rom 15:30

1 Cor 9:27

1 Cor 13:1-3

1 Cor 13:13

1 Cor 15:58

1 Cor 16:2

2 Cor 5:10

2 Cor 11:15

Gal 5:6

Col 1:10

1 TM 5:9-10

1 TM 6:18

2 TM 1 16-18

2 TM 2:5

2 TM 2: 6

2 TM 2:21-22

2 TM 3:17

TI 1:16

TI 2:7

TI 2:14

Heb6:10

Heb 10:23-24

Jas 1:22

Jas 2:14-26

Jas 2:22-26

Jas 5:19-20

1 PT 1:17

1 PT 2:12

2 PT 1:10

1 JN 3:18

Rev 2:23

Rev 20:12

Rev 20:13

Rev 22:12

No, good works alone probably won't get one into Heaven (with God anything is possible, so I won't dare say "will never get one into Heaven.") And no, one cannot buy one's way into God's Kingdom.

Both dh and I are ex-Catholics. HIs mother was one of the Catholics who never got an education in Catholicism. She had many misconceptions but we didn't leave the church because of her wrong interpretations. I would hope the Catholic education is better now. It was abysmal when both my dh and I attended CCD in the 1970s.

I am still pondering.

I am sure Carol's statement about poorly catechized Catholics is a big part of the problem. The Church is such a big entity. Things slip through the cracks. We even have some poorly catechized DREs and, sadly, priests.

If all Catholics were better educated in the faith, they would sure make it easier to get rid of the misperceptions out there. But that isn't going to happen any time soon.

So how do we go about sharing the authentic faith in the face of so much misinformation and so many anecdotes about superstitious Catholics?

(ETA by authentic I mean real Catholic doctrine versus the aberrations people believe about it)

Edited by Asenik

What if I said blondes are dumb? I have met dumb blondes. So now, that gives me the right to comment on every blonde thread that they are dumb. Even if you know a blonde Phd, I can still throw in the dumb ones I know to make a point. But why would I? Wouldn't that be rude? (of course, I know this isn't true. I happen to have a blonde DD who is a genius!:D). But it is the point I am trying to make about anecdotal evidence being used to discredit Catholic positions over and over.

Nobody wants to be judged by their least knowledgable adherents anyhow. I can only defend the official position of the Church. I can't defend the position of poorly catechized Catholics or people who remain in the Catholic Church but no longer believe in her doctrines. Are there poorly catechized, superstitious people? Yes. Should they be made to be representative of the Church as a whole? No.

Continuing this conversation, I agree with you that it's bad to generalize and to judge by least knowledgable adherents. I also think that it's sort of weird (and I'm not saying you're doing this) when something that is very pervasive is discounted. People can draw that line in different places. (ETA: I really try hard not to ever post 'one of's' in a conversation like this. Just really common things that I have seen over and over from different kinds of sources. Anecdotes make bad generalities, for sure, and it's unfair to use them I believe.)

I also think that it's worth thinking about if a view really takes hold even though unintentionally, what is making that happen, and is it important to change whatever is creating that impression. If, for instance, my daughter decided that the only good flowers in the world are irises and roses, not just because that's all I ever plant, but also because that's all anyone in my neighborhood plants or mentions, then that wouldn't be too surprising. It would not mean that there was a law that those are the only two good flowers, but it would establish that inference. In the case of flowers, it wouldn't matter too much; but in other matters it could be a problem.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Please don't flame me. My ds asked me what the difference was between Catholics and prostitutes. I said, "Do you mean Protestants?" LOL

:lol: too cute.

But in answer to your question, I have indeed known Catholics who only ask the saints to pray for them, but I have also had some discussions in which it is clearly stated that these other adult Catholics pray directly to the saints and believe that the saints themselves take action to aid them, action other than joining them in prayer. In fact, this has been more the norm than the exception during my high school, college, and young adult days. Adults who recently converted to Catholicism never have this view, which I have interpreted as RCIA being much more clearly conveyed than it or the church's teachings used to be.

First - prayer does not equal worship. Prayer is conversation. To suggest that praying to someone is tantamount to worshiping them is nonsense.

Second - believing someone is actually acting on your behalf is also not worshiping them. Yes, I believe that when I pray to Mary, she actually listens and acts on my behalf according to God's will. I believe the same of angels (of which St. Michael is one). Of course angels act on our behalf. (Most especially guardian angels - it is their entire created purpose!) It is part of God's design and will that they do so.

None of this is new information. None of this requires a high level of logic skills to figure out.

I have never met a catholic anywhere who believes they are worshiping Mary, much less doing so on par with God/Christ, when they pray to her.

Whether they strike you that way or not, either they are or you misunderstand them. It's that simple.

I think they can. But if you ask Catholics if they worship Mary, and then then tell you that they don't, continuing to insist that they do because some Catholics seem like they do isn't my definition of respectful. Btw, I am not accusing you of doing this, but it does happen all the time. Just because some Catholics are in some way superstitious doesn't generalize.

I call it taking jabs when people drop in with random comments and then are surprised when someone calls them on it. Like when someone tells you how crazy and unsocialized homeschoolers are -- oh, but they didn't mean you. Just that crazy neighbor of theirs and all the other homeschoolers they have met. ;)

I have no problem with people disagreeing. Just disagree with something we really disagree on. There is still plenty of that. Don't tell me I believe something I don't and then try to argue with me about it.

I cannot imagine jumping into a religious thread for another faith and defining their terms for them. That to me is rude. Again, this is not personally directed at you. Just the tendency that every time this issue comes up, we have anecdotal evidence that some people really do think what the issue is, so that somehow makes it ok to keep dredging up the misinformation over and over.

Nobody wants to be judged by their least knowledgable adherents anyhow.

:iagree:

I wish she'd come back to answer for herself, but I honestly think she was just stating another thing people believe about Catholics that is wrong-that they hate the Bible. I don't think she meant it as a jab to you personally. :confused:

I took it that way as well. Every time someone says Catholics don't use the bible, I know they are ignorant. The mass and rosary references the bible repeatedly.

I wouldn't take anyone's word for what the RC Church teaches except for the written documents produced by the official hierarchy or books that carry a Nihil Obstat (the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval of Catholic doctrine).

Exactly. Especailly as, same as any other religion, there is a huge percentage of claimers to the faith who don't actually practice it, much less make an effort to educate themselves about it.

Mary is part of the trinity.

This is a new one to me. I'm not even sure how that can be. :confused:

Mary can be called a Co-Redemptrix which leads some people outside the Church to believe we consider her our Redeemer, which is NOT true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-Redemptrix

The co-redemptrix thing is NOT an official dogma of the church.

Continuing this conversation, I agree with you that it's bad to generalize and to judge by least knowledgable adherents. I also think that it's sort of weird (and I'm not saying you're doing this) when something that is very pervasive is discounted. People can draw that line in different places.

I also think that it's worth thinking about if a view really takes hold even though unintentionally, what is making that happen, and is it important to change whatever is creating that impression. If, for instance, my daughter decided that the only good flowers in the world are irises and roses, not just because that's all I ever plant, but also because that's all anyone in my neighborhood plants or mentions, then that wouldn't be too surprising. It would not mean that there was a law that those are the only two good flowers, but it would establish that inference. In the case of flowers, it wouldn't matter too much; but in other matters it could be a problem.

Check my post above yours. I just pondered the same thing! :)

I just took a class in adolescent catechesis, and it didn't make me hopeful. I wish I had a better answer about it.

Traditionally, Catholics have left it up to the schools to do the catechism, but the schools are so expensive and all the nuns are gone now. CCDs are only as good as their catechists, and many of the current catechists received very little religious education themselves.

I think the answer is that parents have to take the initiative, but not all parents are willing or able to do this.

So how do we go about sharing the authentic faith in the face of so much misinformation and so many anecdotes about superstitous Catholics?

It is important to educate ourselves. It is very important to educate our children. It is also important to try our best to enlighten those who are misinformed about the Faith.

That is one thing Protestants have over the Catholics. They teach constantly about their faith. I wish there was something like AWANAS for Catholics.

First - prayer does not equal worship. Prayer is conversation. To suggest that praying to someone is tantamount to worshiping them is nonsense.

Second - believing someone is actually acting on your behalf is also not worshiping them. Yes, I believe that when I pray to Mary, she actually listens and acts on my behalf according to God's will. I believe the same of angels (of which St. Michael is one). Of course angels act on our behalf. (Most especially guardian angels - it is their entire created purpose!) It is part of God's design and will that they do so.

None of this is new information. None of this requires a high level of logic skills to figure out.

I don't believe that I equated prayer and worship. If I did, I misspoke. It's not what I think.

This is a new one to me. I'm not even sure how that can be. :confused:

The co-redemptrix thing is NOT an official dogma of the church.

No, it is not. But I mentioned it because that seems to be where that misconception stems from.

I really don't think she meant you. She commented on your quote and THEN made the statement commenting on the OP. I think it is a limitation of the format, but I don't think it was directed at you.

ETA: And mine weren't either! I am sorry if they seem that way. I have been on the ipad, and it is just not conducive to these kind of threads ...

:iagree::iagree:

It seemed more like an after thought addition to the OPs request for misinterpretations.

Personally, I think it is willful ignorance.

Truth is many a person, of any faith, does not actually want to learn the truths of their faith bc then they might have to face they aren't living it.

I say that in kindness actually.

They especially touchy about their kids learning more than fluff feel good kumbahah catechism.

They don't want their kid learning birth control is wrong bc then their kid is going to have some questions mom/dad don't want to face.

They don't want to hear about Sunday obligations bc again, they will be forced to explain their lack.

And the list goes on.

Truth often requires action.

Many people simply don't want to do that.

They just want to float through the motions with no deeper connection.

Because they are scared.

Because they like the illusion of control.

Because they don't want to rock their happy boat.

Because.... Who knows what all else.

I wish there was something like AWANAS for Catholics.

I do too.

I just finished teaching our 6th grade youth ministry class, and it was really sad. We had over 150 kids from 6th-8th grade, and 75% of them did not have even basic catechism. And the YM programs aren't set up to teach that. They assume the kids had basic catechism from K-5. But that isn't often the case, sadly. The programs at my parish don't seem to be set up for the population they serve.

On a more positive note, we are offering MANY, MANY more opportunities for adult formation - Bible studies, service groups, etc. And that does fill a gap that we have had for years.

I would love to see better education and more opportunities for it for Catholics of all ages.

ETA: And my comment earlier about the Catholics I know not confusing worship of saints with prayers -- for my area, if they know enough to know who the saints are, they have also been taught the difference between praying to and intercession. My kids I am talking about here couldn't even NAME a saint, let alone pray to one.

Edited by Asenik

No desire for awana here. Ick.

I would like to see the Baltimore catechism used for CCD.

A 50/50 mix would be great.

Half the class time discussing and practicing the BC lessons, followed by an open discussion of the lesson for deeper understanding.

Not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon though.

Honestly I'm not sure the most DREs or class instructors could do it bc far too often they lack the knowledge base themselves. :(

Could I ask a question? I think it might be a misconception of mine, but I thought I remembered reading it on the blog of a practicing Catholic.

Do Catholics believe that they are the one true church? So Protestants are misguided and should not have broken off in the first place? My church growing up (a Presbyterian church) taught that all churches, Catholic and Protestant, were equal in God's eyes. So I always grew up thinking that we were basically one big happy family. So what is the official Catholic teaching about the role of the Protestant church?

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself clearly. I just remember feeling really confused and kind of offended reading what that person wrote because I had been taught that we were all God's children, no one had found the best truth, we were all just trying to figure things out as best we could with the information we had, etc.

Sorry I'm really not trying to spark a debate or anything. Please just ignore my question if it's offensive or anything!

I took it that way as well. Every time someone says Catholics don't use the bible, I know they are ignorant. The mass and rosary references the bible repeatedly.

So does the Liturgy of the Hours. there's just scripture and scripture in there-praying the Psalms.

No desire for awana here. Ick.

I would like to see the Baltimore catechism used for CCD.

A 50/50 mix would be great.

Half the class time discussing and practicing the BC lessons, followed by an open discussion of the lesson for deeper understanding.

Not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon though.

Honestly I'm not sure the most DREs or class instructors could do it bc far too often they lack the knowledge base themselves. :(

Notice I did use the word "like" as in "similar to" geared toward Catholic teachings. ;):D

Could I ask a question? I think it might be a misconception of mine, but I thought I remembered reading it on the blog of a practicing Catholic.

Do Catholics believe that they are the one true church? So Protestants are misguided and should not have broken off in the first place? My church growing up (a Presbyterian church) taught that all churches, Catholic and Protestant, were equal in God's eyes. So I always grew up thinking that we were basically one big happy family. So what is the official Catholic teaching about the role of the Protestant church?

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself clearly. I just remember feeling really confused and kind of offended reading what that person wrote because I had been taught that we were all God's children, no one had found the best truth, we were all just trying to figure things out as best we could with the information we had, etc.

Sorry I'm really not trying to spark a debate or anything. Please just ignore my question if it's offensive or anything!

The Catholic Church believes that it is the church founded by Jesus and left to shepherd Christians. We believe that all people are God's children, and we do not teach that non-Catholics won't go to Heaven. We do believe that Jesus intended the Church to stay unified and Catholic, but people who have become separated from the Catholic Church can still be Christians and go to Heaven. We just believe that Jesus left the Church to be the guide and ordinary means to transmit the faith to the people. The Church acts on behalf of all people, not just Catholics.

We believe we offer the fullness of the faith and truth. That doesn't mean other churches can't offer faith or truth. But we believe we have received the instructions of Jesus and the apostles in their most complete state.

When the Reformation happened, the early reformers were bringing up some things that needed to be addressed (and a lot of which were addressed by the Counter-Reformation and other reformers who chose to remain in the Catholic Church and reform from within). We believe Christ intended to leave a unified body, and we are sad that it is so broken and separated.

But Catholics believe that you don't have to be Catholic to be Christian or to go to Heaven.

Do Catholics believe that they are the one true church? So Protestants are misguided and should not have broken off in the first place?

Yes.

So what is the official Catholic teaching about the role of the Protestant church?

That we long for their reconciliation to the Catholic church, but God's mercy knows no limits and thus those of other faiths might still be able to enter heaven by God's grace and mercy.

I had been taught that we were all God's children, no one had found the best truth

Yes, we are all God's children.

Jesus Christ, Truth embodied, set Peter as the first Pope to build His Church upon and promised to always uphold the Church.

From a Catholic perspective, Protestants have some of the truths, but not the fullness of The Truth bc they are not in unity with the Catholic Church.

Both dh and I are ex-Catholics. HIs mother was one of the Catholics who never got an education in Catholicism. She had many misconceptions but we didn't leave the church because of her wrong interpretations. I would hope the Catholic education is better now. It was abysmal when both my dh and I attended CCD in the 1970s.

The 1970s were dismal in general. The RCC wasn't alone in that.

asta

The Catholic Church believes that it is the church founded by Jesus and left to shepherd Christians. We believe that all people are God's children, and we do not teach that non-Catholics won't go to Heaven. We do believe that Jesus intended the Church to stay unified and Catholic, but people who have become separated from the Catholic Church can still be Christians and go to Heaven. We just believe that Jesus left the Church to be the guide and ordinary means to transmit the faith to the people. The Church acts on behalf of all people, not just Catholics.

We believe we offer the fullness of the faith and truth. That doesn't mean other churches can't offer faith or truth. But we believe we have received the instructions of Jesus and the apostles in their most complete state.

When the Reformation happened, the early reformers were bringing up some things that needed to be addressed (and a lot of which were addressed by the Counter-Reformation and other reformers who chose to remain in the Catholic Church and reform from within). We believe Christ intended to leave a unified body, and we are sad that it is so broken and separated.

But Catholics believe that you don't have to be Catholic to be Christian or to go to Heaven.

Okay that makes more sense. Thanks for explaining! :)

Hmmm, there is something very appealing about the whole unbroken chain of the church and the unity of the Catholic church.

I come from a very long line of Presbyterians though, so my ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves right now :lol:

Y'all bring up some good points though - like it makes sense that Jesus would start one church and want it to continue as a unified church.

So I have a potentially really stupid question:

What if you don't really like the people in your parish? (I think y'all have parishes based on geography right?) Or like if there aren't many young people in your parish so you want to go to a neighboring parish - is that allowed? I'm used to church hopping - which is probably not good - but then the idea of being tied to one particular small parish kind of scares me.

ETA: sorry I promise I'll stop thread hijacking now!

Edited by actuary

Hmmm, there is something very appealing about the whole unbroken chain of the church and the unity of the Catholic church.

I come from a very long line of Presbyterians though, so my ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves right now :lol:

Y'all bring up some good points though - like it makes sense that Jesus would start one church and want it to continue as a unified church.

So I have a potentially really stupid question:

What if you don't really like the people in your parish? (I think y'all have parishes based on geography right?) Or like if there aren't many young people in your parish so you want to go to a neighboring parish - is that allowed? I'm used to church hopping - which is probably not good - but then the idea of being tied to one particular small parish kind of scares me.

You can always go to another parish. I know people who go to a parish further away because it offers Latin Mass. My parish offers Mass in Spanish and Ghanian too! We also have an Anglican rite Catholic parish where I live, and I know people who go there, regardless of geography. We personally go to the Saturday Mass at our parish because it is the more traditional one, so you can also stay at the local parish but choose which Mass you are more comfortable attending.

There are differences in what the community is like, but there should not be differences in what they believe, if that makes any sense.

It isn't a stupid question. Years ago one when to the parish in one's district, but it dosn't work that way any more. With the priest shortage many priests in suburban and rural areas are overseeing more than one parish. My priest now has two parishes and a mission.

So, yes. One may attend any Catholic parish one wishes to attend. Often if I can't make it to mass at the regularly scheduled time I pack us up and head to either my priest's second parish or into Canada to the next closest parish.

Ideally you would attend your geographical parish, but there is not a requirement to do so and many do not for various and sundry reasons.

I've left a parish bc the priest actively discouraged parents bringing their young children to mass. (If they weren't old en for FHC, he wanted them to leave for "children's church".:glare:)

I left a parish bc my dh absolutely could not stand the priest or the stadium seating arrangement. (Dh isn't catholic or religious, so making him comfortable is worth switching parishes to me.)

Some people go to the only Latin or Vietnamese or Spanish parish.

Some people go to the parish where there is a 5pm Sunday Mass.

Some people hit whichever parish they are nearest that Sunday.

Well, I gather that if you're European, you're pretty much stuck. If you're American, you give lip service to the parish principle, and then attend the parish you actually like. ;)

Many large-city dioceses, especially, have multiple "magnet" parishes: traditional; Traditionalist (Latin Mass); Eastern rite; Spanish-speaking immigrant; Spanish speaking non-immigrant; charismatic; ultra-liberal; student; etc., etc.

It is important to educate ourselves. It is very important to educate our children. It is also important to try our best to enlighten those who are misinformed about the Faith.

That is one thing Protestants have over the Catholics. They teach constantly about their faith. I wish there was something like AWANAS for Catholics.

I think AWANAS is just jr indoctrination camp with a course in recruiting tossed in on the side. Yeah, go ahead and flame me - my kid was "invited to attend a basketball ice cream social" by his best friend - NEVER AGAIN!

You know what the difference is? Catholics bring their kids to church. They cry. They wail. They wiggle all over the pews. And eventually, they learn to sit, stand, and kneel when everyone else does. And they never have to memorize their prayers because "somehow", they just know them. It's almost like osmosis or somethin'...

I don't want vacation bible school, either. I want more decent priests who give a hoot about their CCD programs. CCD isn't supposed to be about "saving your friends"; it is supposed to be about catechesis. There are lots of great, age appropriate programs (that are less dry than the Baltimore books) out there. Kids who are approached with joy will respond with joy.

And then there is LifeTeen. It is a great program for addressing pretty much any issue a teen faces - in a manner that is not only consistent with the magisterium, but also weaves in solid teaching at a time when kids are most likely to bolt from the Church.

Everyone is probably going to hold their breath that I'm even responding to this...

Yes. We are. For all intents and purposes, we're number 1. There is a chicken/egg disagreement as to who was first, the Orthodox or the Romans, and who broke off from whom, but the Catholics are still numero uno.

There were sects bantering about after the appearance of Jesus but before the final compilation of the bible (also done by the Catholic Church), but as far as a formal, organized Church? That would be the Catholics. Finally, of course every person is equal. Some people just haven't found the road to the house yet is all.

Milovany and I always put up this picture to show how things splintered:

Edited by asta

I think AWANAS is just jr indoctrination camp with a course in recruiting tossed in on the side. Yeah, go ahead and flame me - my kid was "invited to attend a basketball ice cream social" by his best friend - NEVER AGAIN!

Nope, not going to flame you. Again I will point out that I didn't ask for Cahtolic AWANAS, but something similar. Something cohesive that can be used across the board so instead of the crap I had (or didn't have) in the 70s and 80s. Who wants a repeat of that? Something solidly Catholic that the kids and parents get excited about. Something that is based on Catholic teachings. I think we can all agree that religious ed is not what it could be by any means.

You know what the difference is? Catholics bring their kids to church. They cry. They wail. They wiggle all over the pews. And eventually, they learn to sit, stand, and kneel when everyone else does. And they never have to memorize their prayers because "somehow", they just know them. It's almost like osmosis or somethin'...

I don't want vacation bible school, either. I want more decent priests who give a hoot about their CCD programs. CCD isn't supposed to be about "saving your friends"; it is supposed to be about catechesis. There are lots of great, age appropriate programs (that are less dry than the Baltimore books) out there. Kids who are approached with joy will respond with joy.

And then there is LifeTeen. It is a great program for addressing pretty much any issue a teen faces - in a manner that is not only consistent with the magisterium, but also weaves in solid teaching at a time when kids are most likely to bolt from the Church.

:iagree: The Greek Orthodox also have HOPE and JOY groups for the younger kids, GOYA for the teens, and Greek School for everyone.

Everyone is probably going to hold their breath that I'm even responding to this...

Yes. We are. For all intents and purposes, we're number 1. There is a chicken/egg disagreement as to who was first, the Orthodox or the Romans, and who broke off from whom, but the Catholics are still numero uno.

There were sects bantering about after the appearance of Jesus but before the final compilation of the bible (also done by the Catholic Church), but as far as a formal, organized Church? That would be the Catholics. Finally, of course every person is equal. Some people just haven't found the road to the house yet is all.

Milovany and I always put up this picture to show how things splintered:

:p Have to go there, eh? ;) (teasing you, hon)

Nope, not going to flame you. Again I will point out that I didn't ask for Cahtolic AWANAS, but something similar. Something cohesive that can be used across the board so instead of the crap I had (or didn't have) in the 70s and 80s. Who wants a repeat of that? Something solidly Catholic that the kids and parents get excited about. Something that is based on Catholic teachings. I think we can all agree that religious ed is not what it could be by any means.

I knew what you meant! :)

It is kind of hard because religious ed varies so much between parishes and even dioceses. And one flaky nun is all it takes to ruin the whole CCD program at a parish. :tongue_smilie: My parish is trying to have all catechists get certified and therefore go through classes to teach THEM Church doctrine and morals so that they pass along the right information in their classes. But it is a slow process.

We have a whole contrast going between offering content or social emphasis, and a lot of times we compromise in such a way that we don't do either one well. But even having materials that are more engaging would be a pretty good start.

Neither of us are jumping on you.

I sure knew what you meant.

I think we are both just displaying a rather strong aversion to awanas in general.;)

I'm slowly working on a new religious ed program, broken down into levels, loosely based on ideas in WTM. I have also felt the need for something like AWANA in the Catholic Church.

I don't have time to read 10 pages of responses right now, but I read about half of it. As far as the praying to saints thing, I always explain it like this: Mary is Jesus' mother. Sons listen to their mothers. If you were ask someone's mother to intercede with her son, you are more likely to get a positive result. A priest explained that to me that way and it made a lot of sense. Saints are in Heaven with the Lord. How can it be bad to have them praying for you or interceding for you? I do have a Mary statue in my house, but I obviously don't worship it. I do try to emulate Mary because I wish that I could say, "Yes" to God's will as quickly as she did. She is the best role model we have.

I get the "you aren't really Christian" thing a lot because I live in a very evangelical area. It used to bother me, but now I just feel sad for them because I think Protestants are really missing out by not honoring the sacraments. We get to receive Jesus into our bodies every week. That is such a healing sacrament.

My best friend in law school spent three years trying to "save" me. I know that he really cared for me and wanted to save my soul, but I honestly couldn't convince him that I was Christian. He would always rail against the indulgences. I said that was clearly an error that the church made a LONG time ago. Then one day I was watching Jerry Falwell's TV show (he went to Liberty University). He was saying that anyone who donated $10,000 to Liberty would be ensured of going to Heaven. I called my best friend and told him to watch. I never heard anything else about indulgences. :lol:

Sorry to ramble! The Catholic church is far from perfect, but I do think it is really misunderstood!

Oddly, I've never heard (to my face) most of the well-known objections. I had a Hindu mom tell me she understood that the difference between Protestants and Catholics was that Protestants relied on Jesus to save them, and Catholics relied on sacraments to save them. I assume it wasn't a Catholic that told her this. ;) But she was obviously an innocent bystander in the intra-Christian melee, and had no idea this characterization was inaccurate and offensive.

The only thing I've heard repeatedly is that Catholics engage in the forbidden "vain repetition" by mindlessly repeating prayers in the rosary. I usually seem to get told this by people whose churches sing praise choruses in their worship. Over. And over. And over. And....

There is a homeschool organization called TORCH (Traditions of Roman Catholic Homes) that we joined (but cannot make any meeting for until we have a better van). I still get all the emails though, and they seem to do a lot of fun things together while keeping things very traditional. They also do a First Friday thing where they go an early Mass and confession and then go on with an activity afterward. They had a costume party dressed as saints and they had to guess which saint the others were which sounded fun. Some of the ideas from their group could be brought into the non-homeschooling setting I bet.

Ideally you would attend your geographical parish, but there is not a requirement to do so and many do not for various and sundry reasons.

I've left a parish bc the priest actively discouraged parents bringing their young children to mass. (If they weren't old en for FHC, he wanted them to leave for "children's church".:glare:)

I left a parish bc my dh absolutely could not stand the priest or the stadium seating arrangement. (Dh isn't catholic or religious, so making him comfortable is worth switching parishes to me.)

Some people go to the only Latin or Vietnamese or Spanish parish.

Some people go to the parish where there is a 5pm Sunday Mass.

Some people hit whichever parish they are nearest that Sunday.

We have a decent sized Catholic population around here so we go to our home parish that we're registered to and then hop around to other parishes to check out the architecture, their stained glass, their stations of the cross etc. I love that the Mass will be basically the same no matter where you go and the big differences are usually the music (I grew up in an organ and bell parish only, so some of these full bands or choirs are odd for me) and then there's always that initial confusion on how we're supposed to line up for Communion. (Ours is very orderly with ushers, but I've been in some where the old ladies are beating down people to get up there first :lol:). I'm not as familiar with Latin mass, but I take my dad once in a while since he grew up with that.

Oh, and to the OP, most people mentioned the usual misconceptions I've heard, though the worst was the cannibalistic vampire that worships Mary thing. And that we think all babies that die without getting baptized will go to h-e-double hockey sticks.

Edited by prairiebird

I have nothing to add here except this misconception from my own childhood:

I was raised in a New England community where everyone I knew, and I mean EVERYONE, was either Catholic or Jewish. I was incredibly jealous that everyone else got to go someplace after school (i.e. Catechism classes or Hebrew school) and I had to go straight home. I was positive they were doing all kinds of awesome things there without me, and there was probably lots of candy. :)