Menu

Thinking about going to Washington DC end of summer...hotel/museum suggestions?

Can I get some help planning a trip? We'd like to visit Washington, DC on labour day weekend...does anyone have hotel recommendations (2 adults, 4 kids)...we'd love a place that serves breakfast and that's close enough that we could walk to wherever we need to go....

....and speaking of that...

...where DO we need to go???? Any must-see suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I heard at one point that museums are free? Is this true or am I dreaming?

I grew up in Baltimore, about an hour from Washington, and we go back there every year to visit my parents. Yes, most of the museums (those that are under the Smithsonian Institution) in Washington are free! Most people find the Air and Space Museum to be the best (although if you have ever been there before, it hasn't changed much :lol:). The American History Museum and Natural History Museum are facinating. If you want to see pandas, there is at least one in the National Zoo.

You may be able to visit the White House, but I would reserve now! Tickets are hard to get. To visit the Capitol see www.visitthecapitol.gov.

The most famous tour company in Washington is Tourmobile, and they are the only tour company that is allowed to go onto the Arlington National Cemetary grounds (where President Kennedy is buried and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is found). But most of the famous sites are accessible by public transportation (including Arlington National Cemetary, but it might be a walk). The subway system in Washington is very good, but I am not sure that it will be in operation on a holiday weekend.

The other memorable site in Washington is Ford's Theater, where President Lincoln was shot.

If you are really into Shakespeare, the Folger Shakespeare Library is supposed to be very good, but I have never been there. Again, you may want to check to see if it will be open on a holiday weekend.

The other thing I find facinating about Washington is Embassy Row, where a lot of the foreign embassies are located. It is roughly Massachusetts Ave NW, between Scott Circle and Wisconsin Avenue.

I also love the section of Georgetown, which is a very tony section of town. They have a Ben & Jerry's (ice cream store) on M Street in Georgetown, which is great for people watching.

As far as a place to stay...

My hubby's job requires a lot of hotel stays, and he belongs to the Hilton Honors Club. We've come to like Hampton Inns and love Homewood Suites.

I mentioned this to a woman at church when her family was planning a visit to DC.

They ended up staying at the Homewood in Silver Springs, MD (I believe) and really liked it.

They serve breakfast daily.

They serve a "dinner reception" Monday through Thursday, 5-7 PM (so a 2nd meal you don't have to figure out after being tourists all day, no waiting in a restaurant for your food to come).

Spacious rooms: 2 queen beds and a sofa bed.

Swimming pool.

Business center, and free WiFi from anywhere in the hotel.

HTH

We stayed at the Hotel Harrington right in the heart of DC. It is older, but we had a family room (don't know the exact name) with two separate rooms and two small bathrooms. We could walk to many places. It didn't include breakfast, but we used the fridge, microwave, and bought a cheap toaster. We just ate in the room.

We've been once and stayed at the Crystal City Marriott. I found a package for ~$100/night; we paid another $20 to park our car there. The Metro stops right beneath the hotel, which was hugely convenient. We'd stay at the hotel again in a heartbeat.

We took the Metro into the city. A lot of the museums are free, but not all, so check websites before you go. We went to the Air & Space Museum (free). Food on the mall is $$$, like any tourist attraction.

It was a wonderful trip!

All Smithsonian museums are free. You could easily spend the weekend at those without seeing anything else. Most of the Smithsonian museum are along the mall, so get out and walk past the Washington Monument down to the Lincoln memorial and see the other memorials in between.

I would look up events and exhibits at each museum and see what fits you best. The museum of the American Indian is really great when they have events going on (every other year they do some stuff around the National Pow Wow event) and you can see dancing and other demonstrations, but otherwise it's collections and displays are not the most interesting in Washington to the average tourist. They do have the best cafeteria (food quality wise) of the museums, but it's expensive.

The Spy Museum, Newseum, and Holocaust Museum all require an entry fee. Look them up and decide if they are appropriate for you children. They are all good in their own way. The spy Museum is quite fun.

The National Zoo is nice and free (Smithsonian), but it wouldn't make my important list of things to visit in this town.

if you want to do any of the tours needing tickets you need to apply now. We wanted to do the George Washington monument 2 weeks ago and it was booked until end of June. So we got tickets for July. It's free but b/c it's so busy they sell tickets. I think I paid $12? to reserve 6 tickets. Anyway, we went through the congressman to get ticket for the Mint but they were booked in July. I have tickets for the Capitol in July but so far no word on the Whilte House. So start booking now for those type of tours.

I grew up in Northern Virginia (in the dc suburbs) and as a result went to the museums a lot as a child (esp. the Smithsonian ones since they are free - my parents loved that :lol:)

I loved (and still love!) the American History Museum. They have really cool exhibits.

Also, I liked going to the National Gallery of Art. It's free as well and it's pretty neat to see the different paintings up close.

The Natural History Museum is good too. A couple years ago they had an exhibit on forensic anthropology (I think that's what it's called) type stuff (kind of like the tv show Bones, where you look at the bones to figure out how the person died). I don't think that was a permanent exhibit so it's probably not there anymore but I'm sure they've brought in other interesting special exhibits to replace it.

When I was in 7th grade, my class went on a field trip to the Spy Museum. I had a blast. From what I remember, there were really interesting exhibits, with a lot of interactive stuff. And I had always been interested in espionage and spy stuff so I was particularly thrilled to go. But, I think the entry fee is pretty steep? We had a huge group go so we got a discount, but I think the individual admission prices are really expensive. But it's a really fun, interesting museum so you might want to check it out.

I think there was also a Children's Museum in DC. I remember going on a field trip to that one back in elementary school. It might have closed though. And there was an entry fee for it.

Hope that helps at least somewhat! :)

Edited by actuary

Oh man, I thought for a bit there no one was going to respond to this post, but y'all pulled through with great, great suggestions!!!! I'll definitely be making up a list and trying to figure out what we can fit in!!! Thanks a mil, everyone!

Caralyn

We're planning a family trip to D.C. for early Sept. We have 6 kids aged 2-16, plus my parents. Here are our top picks at this point:

National Cathedral

American History Museum

Library of Congress

Capital Hill and/or White House (I have to contact my rep.!!)

Spy Museum

Monuments along the mall (evening tour?)

National Gallery of Art

Arlington Cemetery

Mount Vernon (visit on the way out)

Even with 4 full days in D.C., this will be fairly packed. We also want to try to fit in a free concert that they hold at 6pm every night at the Millenium Stage of the Kennedy Center. Also, we plan to bring food along with us (bread, cheese, fruit, hardboiled eggs, etc.) and picnic along the mall for lunch or dinner if the weather is decent.

Can't help much with lodging - we're staying at a vacation rental home and we'll be taking the metro into town. Or, we might risk trying to find a parking spot in a nearby garage - doable, I've heard, but we have a 12-passenger van, and it's NOT fun to park in a garage :tongue_smilie:.

Edited by Susan in TN

We stayed at the Hotel Harrington right in the heart of DC. It is older, but we had a family room (don't know the exact name) with two separate rooms and two small bathrooms. We could walk to many places. It didn't include breakfast, but we used the fridge, microwave, and bought a cheap toaster. We just ate in the room.

We've stayed at the Hotel Harrington several times, years apart. We always had one big family room. The rooms are tired and worn, but the location is excellent (we walked to the Mall, White House, monuments, etc.) and the price is great for 6 people in DC.

-Mount Vernon

-contact your congressman and ask for them to give you a tour of the Capitol. Our state representative had their intern give us a tour. It was with only one other family,,,,it was wonderful!

-Ben's Chili Bowl for a chili burger and milk shake

-B&O Canal outside of Washington, nice relaxing day in the country riding the barge pulled by horses

-July 4th.... fireworks on the mall.

Edited by cat

If you can get there, Gettysburg is not to be missed. Not too far from DC.

The Udvar-Hazy Center for the Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport is superb.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

The NRA Museum appeals to boys (in particular)

http://www.nramuseum.com/

Mt Vernon

I love the Freer Gallery (on the Mall) but it may not interest children as much.

http://dc.about.com/od/smithsonianmuseums/a/FreerGallery.htm

Everyone has excellent suggestions. The only thing I have to add is to plan to spend one evening around the monuments. They where spectacular all lit up. We just came back from DC and I think this was hands down our favorite part. Bring your good walking shoes. From the Lincoln Memorial to the Capital is 2.2 miles. It has been a long time since my feet felt so sore.

Another little hint. The Smithsonian Restaurants are way..... over priced. My 14 year old is still talking about 3.50 for a tired looking banana. We had dinner one evening at Union Station. It is one giant food court with at least thirty places to get food. There is something for everyone and prices where pretty reasonable.

As everyone has said, get your tickets early if you want to go to the mint, up the Washington Monument, tour the capital, visit the White House or see the Declaration of Independence at the National Archives. We didn't start early enough.

Have fun.

Another little hint. The Smithsonian Restaurants are way..... over priced. My 14 year old is still talking about 3.50 for a tired looking banana. We had dinner one evening at Union Station. It is one giant food court with at least thirty places to get food. There is something for everyone and prices where pretty reasonable.

Correct.

Within a block of tha Mall one can usually find a Subway (sandwich shop) or a MacDonalds (you can even get a toy with the happy Meal :-) ) or some other chain where you need not mortgage the house in order to get lunch.

My dh and our two oldest boys went to DC a few years ago. Please check to make sure your most hoped-for sites will be open while you are there! I was very interested in going to Ford's Theater but they were having play rehearsals and were closed to the public.

Also, what datgh said about walking shoes needs to be repeated - loudly! There is A LOT of walking involved. My feet were killing me by the third day, heck, who am I kidding? even by the end of the first day!

Sounds like you'll have a fun time! I would LOVE to go back.

We live a few hours drive from DC and take our kids there often. In the off-season we have gotten same day tickets for the Capitol and GW Monument so you could always ask at the ticket booth/kiosk. White House and Capitol both have visitor centers as well. Several wonderful comments so far. A few things to add:

1. Picnic at Jefferson Memorial Tidal Basin, the Mall, the Botanical Gardens and other locations. The best and most economical meal you will have, weather permitting.

2. There are often walking tours by National Park Service around Tidal Basin including FDR and Jefferson.

3. Botanical Gardens next to Capitol.

4. All of the Smithsonian museums. We find it useful to go to one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and then walk the monuments/memorials in the evening when it is cooler. (Are they charging for the Holocaust Museum now----I remember when it was free?) The New Air and Space Museum is in Virginia near Dulles Airport. Has a Space Shuttle in it and the Enola Gay. Very fun but charges $12-15 for parking.

5. Lincoln, Korea, Vietnam and WWII memorials is an enjoyable evening walk.

6. Supreme Court Building---awesome opportunity to teach children about judicial branch. National Archives---Constitution, Declaration of Independence (Have any kids seen National Treasure movie?)

7. Arlington National Cemetery---especially Tomb of the unknown soldier.

8. National Zoo is a not downtown but is delightful. It can be crowded. Check animal feeding times and try to see that.

9. National Cathedral is beautiful.

10. Mount Vernon, George Washington home in Virginia was fabulous but expensive with multiple kids. Perhaps there is a HS discount?

11. I know your oldest is 13 but you may want to drop by Georgetown or one of the other universities and go for a stroll. I remember my first visit to my future college was when I was about that age. What amazed me the most was the library was enormous. All those books!

The DC metro is nice but for the downtown stuff you should be able to walk all of it. Enjoy your trip!

I would look up events and exhibits at each museum and see what fits you best. The museum of the American Indian is really great when they have events going on (every other year they do some stuff around the National Pow Wow event) and you can see dancing and other demonstrations, but otherwise it's collections and displays are not the most interesting in Washington to the average tourist. They do have the best cafeteria (food quality wise) of the museums, but it's expensive.

The Spy Museum, Newseum, and Holocaust Museum all require an entry fee. Look them up and decide if they are appropriate for you children. They are all good in their own way. The spy Museum is quite fun.

Oh, we were so disappointed in the American Indian museum. We didn't eat at the cafeteria, though.

Our kids loved the Spy Museum!

The Holocaust Museum is tastefully done. I can't imagine not going there.

The Natural History Museum is good too. A couple years ago they had an exhibit on forensic anthropology (I think that's what it's called) type stuff (kind of like the tv show Bones, where you look at the bones to figure out how the person died). I don't think that was a permanent exhibit so it's probably not there anymore but I'm sure they've brought in other interesting special exhibits to replace it.

When I was in 7th grade, my class went on a field trip to the Spy Museum. I had a blast. From what I remember, there were really interesting exhibits, with a lot of interactive stuff. And I had always been interested in espionage and spy stuff so I was particularly thrilled to go. But, I think the entry fee is pretty steep? We had a huge group go so we got a discount, but I think the individual admission prices are really expensive. But it's a really fun, interesting museum so you might want to check it out.

:)

The forensic anthropology exhibit was open in April.:001_smile: It was fabulous!

Yes, the Spy Museum was close to $20 for adults and not much cheaper for kids. I think it's very close to the Harrington.

The Library of Congress is incredible. A must see.

There's just so much to do and see. We were there 6 days and didn't see it all.

I was there two years ago and saw it. They had the skeleton of some man who donated his body "to science," posed with his dog. That kind of creeped my kids out. Anyway ... if it's not a permanent exhibit, what happens to his body? Er, anyway. The natural history museum was our favorite.

My young kids disliked all the "do not touch!" signs in the Air & Space museum. Be forewarned, it's mostly looking. They wanted to climb in!

Agree about overpriced food and ice cream.

I was there two years ago and saw it. They had the skeleton of some man who donated his body "to science," posed with his dog. That kind of creeped my kids out. Anyway ... if it's not a permanent exhibit, what happens to his body? Er, anyway. The natural history museum was our favorite.

So I just looked up the Natural History Museum forensic anthropology exhibit. It is called "Written in Bone: Forensic Files of the 17th Century Chesapeake." The exhibit will be there until January 6, 2013.

Here's a link to the exhibit website

Just in case anyone's interested :)

Great suggestions above!

2 thoughts:

The American Indian Museum ... Many are disappointed, especially with younger kids, but it can be an amazing place with some research ahead of time. A mentor of mine in college was on the board designing it, so I'm a bit biased. :) The thought and collaboration that went into planning it is astounding - imagine gathering all those different tribes with differing, often opposing, world views, and coming up with a plan. There is much more to it than we can see in a quick run-through, and there are literally layers of meaning (certain walls have beautiful murals covered by paint so as not to offend certain belief systems). There are no right angles.... The anchoring rocks from 4 significant areas... All of this may or may not interest kids though. May I suggest that you check their website for the daily schedule? What really makes it a great place for kids are the programs they offer near the entrance. And the food. But if you opt out, it's okay too.

One other thought ... The National Building Museum. Not sure if the Lego exhibit is still there, but it was pretty cool for our Lego boy. And the atrium has some great family activities ... One can borrow any number of kits, plop on the floor and build. There are challenges to build an arch with foam blocks, and more. The little kids play area is also fun. It's off the beaten path, but fun.

Great suggestions above!

2 thoughts:

The American Indian Museum ... Many are disappointed, especially with younger kids, but it can be an amazing place with some research ahead of time. A mentor of mine in college was on the board designing it, so I'm a bit biased. :) The thought and collaboration that went into planning it is astounding - imagine gathering all those different tribes with differing, often opposing, world views, and coming up with a plan. There is much more to it than we can see in a quick run-through, and there are literally layers of meaning (certain walls have beautiful murals covered by paint so as not to offend certain belief systems). There are no right angles.... The anchoring rocks from 4 significant areas...

So, someone took time, effort, talent and money to paint a beautiful mural, then someone else painted over them?!:svengo:

Yep. The idea behind that particular mural though wasn't the beauty, but the content. It was important to one group to have representations of their gods in the museum but those same beings were offensive to another group. Big argument ensued... The solution was to paint them (those particular deities) so they are "present" in the museum, but paint over the wall with another color. Both groups were happy, as apparently the presence alone - even invisible - was the most important factor for the first group.

It's late, and I probably did a terrible job explaining that compromise - but it was quite a feat, and is one of my favorite stories about the designing of the Native museum.

So I just looked up the Natural History Museum forensic anthropology exhibit. It is called "Written in Bone: Forensic Files of the 17th Century Chesapeake." The exhibit will be there until January 6, 2013.

Here's a link to the exhibit website

Just in case anyone's interested :)

Here's an article about the man and his dog.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041003357.html

White House Tours

Public tours of the White House are available. Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress. These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Fridays, and 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to six months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. All White House tours are free of charge. (Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.)

Is this the only way to take a tour of the White House? I thought you could just buy tickets to get in while you were in D.C..