Menu

Mystery of History and TruthQuest

cjgrubbs

Has anyone used both of these? I love the conversational tone of Mystery of History. We have completed vol 1 and will do vol 2 this upcoming year.

However, volume 3 is still really focused on World history and the author even feels that additional American history is needed. So I am trying to plan ahead for how to do that. After we finish MOH 2 I'm thinking of switching the focus to American history and still have oldest child (he will be 7th that year) read the lessons from MOH vol 3. That way he will be getting world history and American History too. I was thinking maybe I could use the truthquest American History guides. Other children that year will be 4th and 1st.

My main goal is to get oldest through the history cycle by 8th. And then I will decide about highschool :tongue_smilie: (don't event want to think of what curriculum I am going to use for that yet!)

Anyone who has used both have any advice or can comment on the tone of the TruthQuest guides?

Our second gap is wider .... 1st and 7th, but I was hoping that maybe TQ for the younger, 1st to 5th, could be enriched enough for the older student with literature resources and serve as a guide.

In the end, it may be that I am inventing yet again. I have altered and enriched our MOH for Ancients this year with BF, Sonlight, and WP selections as well as primary sources. It will take a year to a year and a half, but it will be great fun. :)

Have you looked at the History of US? I am using that this year with 4th and HO.

Not exactly the combination you are looking at. This year I used TQ Egypt/Greece along with MOH 1, half of Core 6, and some other books. I mainly got TQ for the questions and discussion ideas, and it was good for that. I did sometimes use it as a resource list as well. I like it...but I did feel a bit scattered with all my resources & like I was only using a smattering of some books...not sure I'll continue the combo, and I appreciate that MOH is laid out for me and the selection of books from Sonlight, WP, Illuminations, and others.

Merry :-)

:bigear: MOH is a top contender for two years from now when my oldest is in 4th. :bigear: Chrissy, your MOH Super Plan sounds awesome. I'm working on mine...it's a lot of fun. I don't have any really great ideas for adding in American history though as I haven't needed to research that yet. I'm leaving 8th grade "open" (Lord willing) so that my son has some flex to fit in more focused American history before high school.

I was thinking about this....

I remembered this http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2218

If you decide on the History of US, http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2852

You could pick some selections from WP for the little, have the older read aloud from the first book to the 4th grader. The 7th grader could read HOU and follow the syllabus for guidance to study American History.

You would need to match up the time periods with MOH, but other than time, most everything is laid out well enough.

HTH ... I don't think it actually answered your question still though.:lol: