Menu

Okay California girls where are you? (and boys too)

• 5 months later...

Lien here, mom to dd (6 next month) and ds (4). Just joined the forum, and just moved to Marin, near San Francisco, from DC/NoVa via NYC. Would love to meet other like-minded families!!

Edited by Lien

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to plan a San Diego get-together one of these days. Anyone interested?

Yes yes yes. I'm in Clairemont/UTC area. Wednesdays and Fridays are particularly good for us. My daughter is 13.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I know Tracy! I moved there when I was 12, and lived in the Tracy/Manteca area until about 1992.

I live in the central sierras now - near beautiful Yosemite!

Pam

helloooo! I'm in Tracy, about an hour south of Sac or about and hour east of San Fran!

• 3 months later...
Anyone have info on groups/charters/activities for that region? I know Jenn W, but she's my only homeschool friend down there. I'm pretty nervous about leaving my Los Angeles home... help talk me down!

Kay, what county are you in? Here's a link to some, maybe in your county? I belong to the one for NorCal, South Sutter, and it's a great program, really into parent choice and lots of flexibility.

http://www.ieminc.org/links_to_charters.html

Hi tofuscramble,

I don't know about South OC groups. We have a small group of about 4-5 families that meets on Fridays for park day in Placentia, or Yorba Linda, or Anaheim, or Brea, or La Mirada - we're very flexible. Some of us have known one another for 9-10 years. We don't meet for the summer though. I'm still wondering what a "good" group is. That can mean different things to different people. To me, the fact that we can discuss lots of topics honestly would make it "good."

Marin County here (that's just north of the Golden Gate Bridge). I coordinate the area homeschool group for Christians, so if anyone's looking, message me. There's also a non-religiously based group (which is much larger) that I'm also part of, so I can give you the info for that also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest LilahMonger

I'm new to the WTM forums but not to homeschooling. My oldest are in 11th grade this year and my youngest is still in diapers and we have all ages in between. I read the original WTM book over a decade ago!!! We're in the South Bay Area. Anyone looking for a neighbor feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm from a small rural area just north of Sacramento. This is my second year homeschooling my son Dawson (9). He is starting to show noticeable improvement academically as well as socially. If I can just get his "I can't do it/don't want to do it" attitude under control- things will be great! I hope the temps cool off soon. I'm ready to close down that swimming pool!

Robinhttp://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue_smilie.gif

My son Skyler who just turned 16 attends East Nicolaus High School. I think there are quite a few transfers from Yuba City at his school. We are in Elverta, not too far from Arco Arena.

I can relate to the gaps and tears. Dawson was barely functioning in PS second grade before I took him out. After being homeschooled for a few months, he looked at me one day and said, "Does this mean I'm smart now?" It just about broke my heart. This year however, he is beginning to realize just how much he has learned and is starting to feel some self pride in accomplishment. *U*

We have a small farm and I just can't wait for the flies to go away! I guess we will need some cool weather and maybe some rain for that! Yes a fire in the fireplace would be nice too

Thanks for the howdy

• 11 months later...

Hello from Escondido! That is in north San Diego county for those who've never heard of it.

I've been on the boards for awhile since I decided to homeschool my now 4 year old b/g twins. We are taking it nice and easy right now and having lots of fun.

Honeysuckle - I grew up in Woodland so I know where You are. I wish I was back up north! I don't miss Woodland per se, but my family is still there and we visit often. How cool to have a farm!

Brenda

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone near the central coast (So. Cal.):)? It's hard to find local hsers here.

We're in Santa Barbara-so I guess it's Central California-but I am always heading to Los Angeles for fun...

WOW...just read all 15 pages and only two are in my general area. :D

I am near Santa Barbara and have just found this site. How is everyone feeling/thinking regarding the HS ruling that is before us in California? I heard Michael Farris (from HSLDA) speak this month at a convention-he said he was guardedly optimistic. I am encouraged that even Facebook has a group to "Save HSing in CA."

What ever came of this? How could CA loose homeschooling rights when it seems we are one of the more liberal states when it comes to homeschooling abilities?