Menu

A History of US scheduling question...

My 11yodd can also handle more than one chapter a day. Keep in mind also that the chapters are of varying lengths -- some are quite short. So you might have to adjust your assignment to specific chapters. The books are written in an engaging, easy-to-follow style so they aren't difficult at all.

The Hewitt Publishing has a syllabus for History of US for around $10. I just ordered it so I can't tell you more...yet! It's supposed to have chapter tests, suggested weekly schedule for one year, and project ideas. So if they are suggesting to complete all the volumes in one school year - that comes to one book a month.... Hope that helps!

Myra

I've always wondered about the grade level for History of US. I know that their websites say grades 6-8. But my question is....is that grade level assigned for it's reading level or.....is it for the content?

Myra

For those of you who have used this with a 14-16yo aged student, did you find they did better reading only 1 chapter a day or were they able to handle 2 chapters a day?

THanks,

Greta:)

I spread mine out over 2 years, with only one chapter per day (9th & 10th grades). However, I also added a lot of readings (biographies, historical fictions, non-fictions, etc.) using History of US as a spine. (I have my sched. on my blog, but it's still in rough draft form, as I haven't made the corrections to it yet -- DS1 is just finishing it.)

I've always wondered about the grade level for History of US. I know that their websites say grades 6-8. But my question is....is that grade level assigned for it's reading level or.....is it for the content?

Myra

I used it with a 4th grader and thought that it was about right for late elementary (maybe 4th grade as the minimum, but still appropriate for some kids that age). I'm a little surprised that it's being used as a high school text. My understanding of the book is that it's for late elementary and maybe junior high.

I used it with a 4th grader and thought that it was about right for late elementary (maybe 4th grade as the minimum, but still appropriate for some kids that age). I'm a little surprised that it's being used as a high school text. My understanding of the book is that it's for late elementary and maybe junior high.

My fourth grader finds it cumbersome. I use it with my 7th grader and just look for other things for my 4th grader. Of course I also use SOTW with my seventh grader, so bearing that in mind, I could see using A History of US as a jumping off point with a young high schooler. It would depend on the kid, obviously. But it could work.

Not every high schooler is up to Spielvogel's Western Civ!!!

Greta, Have you looked at Notgrass? I think it is written in a very engaging way and it includes lit selections and tests and such.

My understanding of the book is that it's for late elementary and maybe junior high.

I would say it's for reading levels. . .or "interest levels".

I have a highschool Am His text and a college level Am His text, and they don't give much more in the area of content (but do delve more into opinion, and I can't say I necessarily like / agree with that).

I did ask a college Am His professor, and she was good with it being used as a high school level "spine". I know 2 families that use it for a highschool by itself. . .

I'm planning to use it with my high schoolers as the spine for American History. And I got the Hewitt syllabus so I wouldn't have to figure that out for myself. But we are also adding in a Teaching Co. lecture series too to supplement.