Menu

Do you add HIG/CWP/IP/MentalMath to HOD math? Debating SM or MM. HELP!

If you do, HOW?! When? Do you have plans I could borrow? I'm pretty set on using Math Mammoth, but the daily plans and hands-on lessons of HOD really tug at me. I'm very happy with MM for my oldest as she's doing well with it and I'm just not a mathy person, and having not started from the beginning with SM I found it difficult to teach. But, I have a chance to start at SM 1B with my next child and I may just take that opportunity so I can better choose between the two programs for my next two dc. DS7 is a mathy intuitive child, so I think the larger number of problems in MM would not be to his benefit, and although I can cut out problems, I think the clean layout and non-traditional sequence would be good for him. I can rest easy knowing the scope will be almost identical by end of 6B of either program. I do know that MM covers more probability, statistics, and graphing concepts than SM US ed. though.

I'm so very intimidated by SM. I'm also very short on time and have loved the simplicity of just reading over the lesson in MM with my DD, doing a couple problems together, and letting her do about 1/2 to 3/4 of the problems. I also like how the problems often increase in difficulty through the lesson. I just keep feeling pulled to use the already printed, colorful, clean pages of SM and fear I'm never going to rest easy until I've just tried it out again, in it's entirety. I'm also drawn to it b/c HOD has daily plans for it. I FULLY trust and love Carrie's choices, I'm just so scared of being able to teach SM! Maybe going through MM now with DD, and starting SM from 1B will make it easier for me????

I use the HOD activities. I bought HIGs used for 1a/1b to get an idea of what exact skill was being taught, so I wouldn't derail my ds lol. I didn't open the HIG for 1a, but have checked 1b's a few times before doing the HOD activities. I haven't actually taught from the HIG directly. I plan on getting the next HIGs as well. Now that ds is almost finished with 1b, I've added in CWP 1 on Friday in place of regular math. Ds gets very rigid in his thinking at times, so this is helping. We're always at a different place in the guide for math, and I'm ok with that :)

I just use the lesson plans in the front of the Standard Edition HIG and add in the IP and CWP based on topic.

In addition to the HOD plans? Or in place off the workbook? I want to stick to the schedule HOD has, I just feel if I use SM, I'll need at least to add in the HIG/MentalMath stuff but not sure how.

I use the schedule that has the workbook and textbook used, and then I add in the hands on lessons when they appeal to me. For this coming year my ds will be doing 3a/3b and I also have the HIG's that I will use. There isn't hands on for 3a/3b. My dd will be doing 1a/1b and I will use the textbook/workbook schedule from LHFHG as well as the hands on in BLHFHG. I feel like the textbook is an essential part of the program. Singapore is meant to be concrete(hands on/manipulatives) pictoral(textbook), and abstract(workbook). I do not have the HIG's for 1a/1b and I do not feel like I need them.

I use the schedule that has the workbook and textbook used, and then I add in the hands on lessons when they appeal to me. For this coming year my ds will be doing 3a/3b and I also have the HIG's that I will use. There isn't hands on for 3a/3b. My dd will be doing 1a/1b and I will use the textbook/workbook schedule from LHFHG as well as the hands on in BLHFHG. I feel like the textbook is an essential part of the program. Singapore is meant to be concrete(hands on/manipulatives) pictoral(textbook), and abstract(workbook). I do not have the HIG's for 1a/1b and I do not feel like I need them.

Thanks :) I'm really considering doing this with my son. I've really enjoyed MM for my oldest, but I think I want to try SM with him, just feel ill-equipped without the extra hand-holding. He'll be doing BHFHG 1/2 speed for 2nd grade/7.5yo and I will start him with 1b over the summer most likely (IF we do SM). Do you use the mental math pages as well? Or any of the "extra" books?

When you say there isn't hands-on for 3a/b, you mean just in the HOD guide, right? Or do you mean in the HIG as well?

Yes I meant that there isn't hands on for 3a/3b in the HOD guides. For 2a/2b I only had the 2a HIG. I did do some of the activities and mental math sheets in the back of it. I also used the textbook/workbook schedule. As far as other books I had the EP one and ds pretty much just did that after he was finished with 2a/2b for review. I also have a couple of the CWP books, but we have not used them much. We have a bunch of computer games and such that he does fact drill with.

I will be using MM along with HoD this year. The guides starting with Preparing and up do not include math activities from what I see, just a schedule of "do these pages". I don't see a problem with using MM with the younger guides (we'll be in LHFHG and Beyond as well as preparing this year) and using the math enrichment as written and just assigning our MM pages instead of the SM pages. We were able to purchase MM through HSBC this spring so intend to stick with it as long as it works for my children (and so far it is).

Forgive the inquiry, but is it correct that Heart of Dakota has written their own HIGs for the US Edition of Primary Mathematics that is distinct from the one from singaporemathdotcom?

And (obviously) distinct from the newer highly-improved HIGs from the Standard Edition series also from singaporemathdotcom?

How would the HOD HIGs compare? Why choose these over the SE HIGs?

Bill

Spy Car, HOD does not have their own HIG's instead for levels K-2nd they have daily hands on activities written into the guides and schedules for the workbooks/textbooks. They recommend that if you are using the hands on lessons that you only need to use the workbooks, or instead you can use the workbook/textbooks. Once you get to 3a they just have schedules for you to use the workbooks/textbooks. I personally do not think it is enough just to use the workbooks, so I use the textbooks/workbooks and their hands on lessons.

Spy Car, HOD does not have their own HIG's instead for levels K-2nd they have daily hands on activities written into the guides and schedules for the workbooks/textbooks. They recommend that if you are using the hands on lessons that you only need to use the workbooks, or instead you can use the workbook/textbooks. Once you get to 3a they just have schedules for you to use the workbooks/textbooks. I personally do not think it is enough just to use the workbooks, so I use the textbooks/workbooks and their hands on lessons.

Interesting. Thank you.

Bill