Menu

Help with Algebra Placement!

Guest lorihall

Guest lorihall

My daughter is 14 and in the 9th grade (next year). We have done Math U SEE, yet are experiencing some disappointment with it and want to do another year of Algebra. We think we will do Lial's, but WHICH ONE? There are at least 5 different Algebra texts. Can you give advice on which book? And how do you purchase My Math Lab? I don't quite understand the DVT's. What exactly do they cover and what are they?Thanks for helping ! Lori

Lial's Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1).

7th edition is very inexpensive and is virtually the same as the 8th.

ISBN 0321064585

Student texts is all you 'have to have'.

DVTs are the video lessons--TOTALLY optional as the text has excellent--and plentiful examples--it was designed to be used independently. Most people do not use the DVTs for every lesson--nice to have around just in case student gets stuck. Cost is around $35

The 7th edition DVTs are very hard to find right now (out of print) but the 8th edition will work just fine. You can order from the publisher Pearson.

'My Math Lab' is not of use to homeschoolers--it is for community college students to use as an interface with their instructors... just ignore it.

Solutions manuals are also optional. Under $10 if you want one

Let me know if you ever have questions on finding the materials or with the lessons.

snikrepj @ gmail.com