Menu

Visual Link Spanish vs The Learnables

Me again.....wondering if anyone can give me input. We tried Rosetta Stone two years in a row and don't really like it much.

Does anyone have experience with one or both of these products and care to share? :confused:

If you have tried both I would love your input as well!

Thanks

Visual Link Spanish and the The Learnables each have weaknesses that prevent them from being a comprehensive program; however, they complement each other well. Visual link focuses on speech generation, the Learnables on listening and reading. After a year, you'd probably want to add in some formal grammar work as well (worksheets from Practice Makes Perfect or a similar series would do the trick).

I bought The Learnables dirt cheap to check it out and was shocked at a mispronounced word in Lesson 1, so I ditched it quick. The speaker said "gran-dee" instead of "gran-day" for grande!
Throughout the series they use native speakers from different geographical areas of Central and South America. There are slight, and occasionally not so slight, differences in pronunciation from speaker to speaker.

Throughout the series they use native speakers from different geographical areas of Central and South America. There are slight, and occasionally not so slight, differences in pronunciation from speaker to speaker.

And that's why I asked on here and was assured by Spanish speakers from all different places that nowhere is it said "gran-dee"!

And that's why I asked on here and was assured by Spanish speakers from all different places that nowhere is it said "gran-dee"!
I didn't mean that in some places it's said "gran-dee, " but rather that sometimes, especially with vowels, there can be variations an unfamiliar ear might not always accurately discern. This of course doesn't mean this was your experience. :001_smile: However, I didn't hear it that way.

(FWIW, our Level 1 is 2 or 3 years old.)

Visual Link Spanish and the The Learnables each have weaknesses that prevent them from being a comprehensive program; however, they complement each other well. Visual link focuses on speech generation, the Learnables on listening and reading. After a year, you'd probably want to add in some formal grammar work as well (worksheets from Practice Makes Perfect or a similar series would do the trick).

and agree with this assessment based on my limited use of both programs. :iagree:

We will be using Visual Link with their sentence workbook and adding in the Practice Makes Perfect workbooks for grammar. You can try a sample of Visual Link. Here is the link to the workbook.

Others have used and liked Breaking the Spanish Barrier. It looked like it would move too fast for us.

Is dual enrollment at your local CC an option? I have several friends that have chosen that route for foreign language.