What's with the ads?

Photo

Is there anything I can do with stew meat besides stew or vegetable soup???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 praisefor3

praisefor3

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

I have 2 lbs of stew meat (already cut up) that I need to cook tonight or tomorrow and I am "souped out" right now. It just doesn't sound good. Is there anything else I can do with it? I know I could freeze it but I've had it in the fridge for 3 days thinking I would make soup but can't bring myself to do it. Thank you!

#2 Robin in Tx

Robin in Tx

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I make stroganoff with stew meat all the time, and serve it over egg noodles. I seer the meat in a little oil, add onions and mushrooms till beginning to brown, salt and pepper, then cover with water or beef broth (or a cooking wine if you prefer) and simmer till tender. At the end I stir in sour cream and serve. The mushrooms are optional, if you don't like them.

Robin

#3 StaceyinLA

StaceyinLA

Granny Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3882 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

But I'd make sure to cook the meat quickly, just searing it, and leaving it medium-rare or it'll likely be tough. Or, you could do like my mom does and make pot ka bobs. She just cooks the meat and then adds the shish-ka-bob veggies to it and browns it all together. That way the meat could cook tender, then you could drain off any liquid, throw your veggies in with a little olive oil, seasonings, etc. and it'd be good to go!

Other than that, you can cook it down til really tender, smash it and make a bbq beef or, you could cook it down and make a mexican meat (if you like mexican food). Cook the meat til tender (if the chunks are big, cut them in half). Brown the pieces in a little olive oil then add a little water and let it simmer until tender. Then you put in diced tomatoes, lots of garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Thicken it a little with flour/water and serve it with spanish rice, refried beans and tortillas.

#4 Miss Peregrine

Miss Peregrine

Cop Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Beef pot pie?

#5 Colleen

Colleen

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5775 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

nt

#6 Amy in VA

Amy in VA

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

One of my favorite crockpot meals for when I have no time is brown the stew meat, brown a chopped onion and some sliced mushrooms, and throw in the crockpot all day with a jar of beef gravy. I know, I know, gravy in a jar :eek: , but it turns out really yummy and it is so easy. If you want to be fancy throw in a little thyme and some red wine. Cook it all day on low so it gets really tender. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. We like a little horseradish with it.

#7 chai

chai

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

I love making chili with stew meat. Simmer in chili powder, salt and diced tomatoes for 1 and a half hours. Add beans if that's your style.

#8 KristineIN

KristineIN

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Shredded beef sandwiches, with either bbq sauce or I like to do Italian seasoning and a little more beef broth, serve on buns with mozz. cheese & sauteed onions.

Or you could turn it into beef stir fry.

I like all of the ideas listed. We are big beef eaters, my parents own a beef farm.

Kristine

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5841 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

I use stew meat for my chili.

#10 OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8968 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

I like to make Beef and Broccoli with stew meat. I just get a seasoning packet at the store and use the stew meat with it.

#11 Jean in Wisc

Jean in Wisc

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1978 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

Simmer it in the crock in water until it shreds. Thicken it and serve over mashed potatoes.

#12 Tia in Wa

Tia in Wa

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

I use it for anything people use hamburger for , I hate hamburger - its a texture thing:o:o.

What's with the ads?