Menu

Is there anything I can do with stew meat besides stew or vegetable soup???

I have 2 lbs of stew meat (already cut up) that I need to cook tonight or tomorrow and I am "souped out" right now. It just doesn't sound good. Is there anything else I can do with it? I know I could freeze it but I've had it in the fridge for 3 days thinking I would make soup but can't bring myself to do it. Thank you!

I make stroganoff with stew meat all the time, and serve it over egg noodles. I seer the meat in a little oil, add onions and mushrooms till beginning to brown, salt and pepper, then cover with water or beef broth (or a cooking wine if you prefer) and simmer till tender. At the end I stir in sour cream and serve. The mushrooms are optional, if you don't like them.

Robin

But I'd make sure to cook the meat quickly, just searing it, and leaving it medium-rare or it'll likely be tough. Or, you could do like my mom does and make pot ka bobs. She just cooks the meat and then adds the shish-ka-bob veggies to it and browns it all together. That way the meat could cook tender, then you could drain off any liquid, throw your veggies in with a little olive oil, seasonings, etc. and it'd be good to go!

Other than that, you can cook it down til really tender, smash it and make a bbq beef or, you could cook it down and make a mexican meat (if you like mexican food). Cook the meat til tender (if the chunks are big, cut them in half). Brown the pieces in a little olive oil then add a little water and let it simmer until tender. Then you put in diced tomatoes, lots of garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Thicken it a little with flour/water and serve it with spanish rice, refried beans and tortillas.

One of my favorite crockpot meals for when I have no time is brown the stew meat, brown a chopped onion and some sliced mushrooms, and throw in the crockpot all day with a jar of beef gravy. I know, I know, gravy in a jar :eek: , but it turns out really yummy and it is so easy. If you want to be fancy throw in a little thyme and some red wine. Cook it all day on low so it gets really tender. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. We like a little horseradish with it.

Shredded beef sandwiches, with either bbq sauce or I like to do Italian seasoning and a little more beef broth, serve on buns with mozz. cheese & sauteed onions.

Or you could turn it into beef stir fry.

I like all of the ideas listed. We are big beef eaters, my parents own a beef farm.

Kristine