Menu

How long can you go after your water breaks before it gets dangerous

for the baby? I had a UTI that made my water break at 34.5 weeks. The doc gave me something to hold off contractions, but it didn't work so our dd came early. I know someone who is 34 weeks, water has broken but she hasn't gone into labor yet. I had always heard that once the water breaks, it allows for bacteria to get in and can be harmful. She's been in this state for almost a week now.

for the baby? I had a UTI that made my water break at 34.5 weeks. The doc gave me something to hold off contractions, but it didn't work so our dd came early. I know someone who is 34 weeks, water has broken but she hasn't gone into labor yet. I had always heard that once the water breaks, it allows for bacteria to get in and can be harmful. She's been in this state for almost a week now.

Is she at home or in the hospital?

Do you know if they are doing uterine fluid flushing? I'm assuming they are trying to delay labor as long as possible, right? This is very different then what would happen if their water broke nearer to term. In that scenario they would induce labor at some point if it doesn't begin naturally. With premature ruptures they will most likely administer as many steroid shots as they can to mature the lungs of the baby before infection has a chance to set in or labor begins.

with last dd (now 10) my water broke near term. labor did not begin spontaneously within 48 hours, midwives came to home to administer antiobiotic ( i was positive for strep b?). The backup doctor said as long as nothing came into contact with my cervix (no exams, no sex, no baths) we could continue indefinitely.

i was tired of only being able to sit and leak! By the third day I was considering going to hospital, just to get it over with. Fortunately, I went into labor Monday night and delivered at home, just as planned.

I think traditionally many drs induce labor or do C-section within 24 to 48 hours, but this is not absolutely necessary.

Kate in Seattle

When the baby is not term the membranes are likely to reseal.

Membranes rupturing at term is not the same as membranes rupturing early, Drs look at the least risky scenario and it is safer to keep a pre-term baby cooking if they can.

Honestly even at term it isn't necessary that they intervene within 24 hours, they just do

When the baby is not term the membranes are likely to reseal.

Membranes rupturing at term is not the same as membranes rupturing early, Drs look at the least risky scenario and it is safer to keep a pre-term baby cooking if they can.

Honestly even at term it isn't necessary that they intervene within 24 hours, they just do

Exactly.

Possible infection v. pre-term baby? Baby wins. Mom is monitored carefully but baby stays IN.

My water broke at 26 weeks and they kept me in the hospital for three weeks before they couldn't stop contractions any longer and had to take the babies. So I know one's water can break and still wait three weeks before birth.

They took my temperature twice a day at least and I was closely monitored, blood draws every other day, etc. I don't remember what I was all given, but I didn't have any problems with infection. It was more important to keep those babies growing. They said every day in the uterus was worth three days outside of it.

My water broke at 27 weeks, but no contractions. I was admitted, put on magnesium sulfate and antibiotics, and given the steroid injections. After the 48 hours of steroids, they stopped the mag sulfate. 12 hours after that, I started to get a temp, so they induced me. While I was on the mag sulfate, they said that as long as the baby had sufficient fluid around her, I could be there indefinitely.

It turned out to be a nature's way of taking care of my babies. Had Lily stayed in any longer, she would not have survived. Her cord was coming detached from the placenta - the ultrasounds did not pick that up. This was a twin pregnancy, btw.

I hope everything works out okay for your friend.

Hi Molly,

Just saw your post and wanted to check on your friend. When I was pregnant with my 2nd (now 13 years old), my water broke at 31 1/2 weeks and I was beginning to go into labor. They put me on tributilene (sp?) and sent me in an ambulance down to Boston. (We lived on the N. Shore.) They gave me a steroid shot for the baby's lungs and wanted to know if it was a boy or a girl. Preemie girls tend to do better than preemie boys. I stayed in the hospital for a week taking antibiotics, drinking water, and being monitored. At the end of the week the contractions couldn't be held off and Grace Elizabeth was born. She was 4 lb. 4 oz. and very healthy. She needed a bit of "blow-by oxygen," but other than that, she just needed to gain a little bit of weight b/f they would send her home. She came home 18 days later. Just wanted to share my story and see how your friend is doing. Give us an update, if you can!

Blessings,

Cindy